Noise Gate and Volume Pedal order

algiman

Hope you can help, I might just not be seeing how to do this. Using 4CM, I want the noise gate after my preamp, but before the volume pedal so it doesn't affect the ability to do volume swells post preamp. So the chain would be:

Guitar>FX8 input [gate detection point]>some effects I want before the amp>amp in>amp effects loop send>FX8 in>Gate>Vol>some effects I want in the loop>amp effects loop return

As far as I can work out, the only way is to sacrifice a could of effects slots for vol and gate, and give up on the global volume control? This seems odd, as the routing shown can't be that unusual. I know I could move the volume function to the FX8 output>power amp, but that would mean it also cuts off delays, reverb etc which I really don't want.

Hope you can help, I might just not be seeing how to do this. Using 4CM, I want the noise gate after my preamp, but before the volume pedal so it doesn't affect the ability to do volume swells post preamp. So the chain would be:

Guitar>FX8 input [gate detection point]>some effects I want before the amp>amp in>amp effects loop send>FX8 in>Gate>Vol>some effects I want in the loop>amp effects loop return

As far as I can work out, the only way is to sacrifice a could of effects slots for vol and gate, and give up on the global volume control? This seems odd, as the routing shown can't be that unusual. I know I could move the volume function to the FX8 output>power amp, but that would mean it also cuts off delays, reverb etc which I really don't want.

I have an ISP Decimator 2 G-String intercepting the send for this exact reason.

Meh. I am not bothered. Extra pedal for reverb, extra pedal for perfect tracking noise gate.. No big deal.

My solution still requires use of the GATE block in your Post chain, but you can put the External 1 modifier on the output level of the Gate. You will need to adjust the min and max values (you probably don't want to leave the max at +20db), and you can adjust the curve so it feels more natural.

My solution still requires use of the GATE block in your Post chain, but you can put the External 1 modifier on the output level of the Gate. You will need to adjust the min and max values (you probably don't want to leave the max at +20db), and you can adjust the curve so it feels more natural.

I'll give that a go - thanks. Would be much better if a future update gave us the ability to shift the gate and volumes round a bit more though!

Back
Top Bottom