Noise caused by rear inputs/outputs

Hi, I ran a search and couldn't find any results

Recently i picked up a Horizon Devices Precision drive (if you like modern heavy tones, get one, well worth the money) and have since settled on putting it into the effects loop via the rear ins/outs - reason being, I want to be able to bypass it, but I want to keep it in the rack and this will save me having to push 2 pedals when switching to a clean tone.

I've had the axe fx 2 since they launched and first became available in Australia, but have never really used the rear ins/outs apart from the XLR's, so it took me a while to figure out how to run a pedal in the FX loop and set up the block correctly. For those wondering, the XP loop block sits before the amp block, but occasionally, I'll put a looper or a pitch block before it - my general live patch though, it's the first thing on the chain.

I found that one of two things would happen:
1- I'd get what sounds like "amp noise" while everything is connected and the FX loop block in active - this disappears when I bypass the block as my patches are dialled to eliminate such noise - adding to this, the Precision Drive has a built in noise gate, so in theory, it should be QUIETER if anything.
2- Or i'd get very little noise whatsoever - akin to a completely dry signal, but with significantly lower volume than a patch full of shunts would sound like and with a little bit of grit on it.

When I first got started trying to achieve this, I managed to get it to work properly just by unplugging it all and re-setting it all up a couple of times, so I wired it all into my rack properly and secured everything so it wouldn't move - everything worked fine for the next few rehearsals/shows - now I come home and for the first time in ages, I have some motivation to play outside of rehearsals/shows only to find the FX loop block isn't doing anything - no difference with it active or bypassed - also, the pedals noise gate has a light that dims when there's signal passing through, but it's not doing that either, it's just staying on. Yet another buzzkill when I certainly need to take advantage of any motivation to play that I get.

I unplugged it all and plugged it back in to find I'd get the second problem mentioned above, tried that again, got the first problem mentioned above and I can't seem to work out why - unplugging and re-plugging seems to just lead to the "amp noise" problem.

Are my rear jack inputs/outputs on the fritz?

General troubleshooting that I have performed:
-yes, my output 2 knob is turned up to at least match the output 1 knob
-yes, I'm routing ins to outs etc
-yes my cables are fine (I tested them by running all patch cables used between guitar and axe fx and all tested ok)
-yes, pedal is fine - I ran it in front of the axe fx and it worked as intended with no extraneous noise (as the gate would suggest, there was LESS noise with it active)

Please help - first time in MONTHS that I've actively felt like playing guitar at home and as always, I find I'm sidetracked away from the actual playing by something else (usually tone tweaking, but this time actually something serious) - I *did* have an idea for a new song when I sat down, but an hour later and it's now gone before I can even record even a basic version of it

Update:
Sat down to type this after fiddling for ages and ending up with the noise issue

finished typing and it works fine - I did NOTHING in between except type this up, leading me to believe that my rear jack ins/outs are indeed a bit dicky

I have the same noise problem with Input 2.
I'm using it to reamp DI tracks from my pc/usb interface.

Bump for becky
Oh wait, did she see? Better move.
Dib - no

Bump so as to see if anyone has any clues what may be going on here

Bonus points if anyone understands the reference

Any response at all as to what might be going on??

Went away for a weekend where gear was unplugged, moved around, set up differently etc.

Return to use it now and after setting it up, I'm back to getting the noise issues

Connect the Axe-fx ins to the axe-fx outs, leaving the pedal out of the loop, using your cables. Use them one by one.
If you get noise with one of the cables, it's the cable.
If you get noise with all of the cables, it's the axe.
If you get noise with only the pedal connected, it's the pedal or a ground loop. Try using humbuster cables.

J

Back
Top Bottom