No sound from Reaper using FM3 as audio interface (Macbook)

adamdevo

I can't figure out what I need to do to get sound through Reaper. If I run my plugins standalone (no reaper) they work fine using FM3 as my interface but when I start up Reaper and run my plugins it gives me NO sound. Not input, nothing in reaper at all. I have armed the track and set monitor to on. What else do I need to do? Below is the pic of my setup on my Mac. I've tried both FM3 and as an aggregate device. Help?

IMG-0231.jpg

Did you select the FM3 as your audio device in Reaper's preferences? Also, generally you want input monitoring turned OFF if you are monitoring through the FM3's outputs. Otherwise you'll hear phase issues and doubling between the direct output of the FM3 being mixed with the monitoring feed coming back via USB.

That looks like an OS audio settings dialog. Reapers preferences dialog should be titled "Reaper Preferences" and is found by going to Options > Preferences from Reaper's menu bar.

Like this:
Mac%20Audio%20Device%20Settings.png

Make sure the FM3 is selected as the Audio Device there.

I've not used Reaper in Mac OS, but in Windows, it also shows the current audio device in the upper right hand corner of the main Reaper window.

Last edited:
Yes FM3 is selected as Audio Device in Reaper as I said. I can even do the speaker test. The problem seems to be that Reaper isn't getting the input from the FM3 just the output.

Am I the only one using the FM3 with a Mac as an interface??

Yes FM3 is selected as Audio Device in Reaper as I said. I can even do the speaker test. The problem seems to be that Reaper isn't getting the input from the FM3 just the output.
The Audio MIDI Setup screenshot you shared is not where you set the audio device in Reaper, so it's a little confusing trying to figure out what you mean when you say you've selected the audio device. Second, above, you said output to the FM3 from your plugins was the problem. Now you say input from the FM3 is the problem. What exactly is not working?

Am I the only one using the FM3 with a Mac as an interface??
No :).

Please read my original post again.

I have sound when I run my plugins stand alone. I get no sound when running my plugins in Reaper. So the issue here is my reaper settings which I posted in the screenshot above. Remember Im using a Mac not a PC so the screen will look ALOT different to the PC settings.

I believe its not getting the input from the FM3 in reaper because I'm getting system sounds and speaker test is working in reaper and coming through my monitors

With all due respect, no, you did not post a screenshot of reaper settings. You posted a screenshot of the Audio MIDI Setup app. Twice.

I've read your posts several times, but I still don't know what problem you're having :). Maybe you're not getting output from Reaper to the FM3. That's what you indicated in your first post when you said "when I start up Reaper and run my plugins it gives me NO sound". It's hard to tell what you're trying to say there. It sounds like you're using virtual instrument plugins to generate sound, but you don't hear any output through your FM3. If that's the problem, it might be incorrect audio settings in Reaper. Or maybe you're not getting input from the FM3, which you indicated in a later post when you said "Reaper isn't getting the input from the FM3 just the output". If that's the problem, don't forget to check your microphone permissions.

Edit: We posted at the same time. I see you figured it out :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom