No NGD this weekend

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
Got off my duff this weekend and played two guitars I'd been lusting after on paper...
https://themusicemporium.com/products/james-tyler-studio-elite-hollow-midnight-used-2008
https://themusicemporium.com/products/dpergo-studio-s-style-lake-placid-blue-metallic-used

Both are quality instruments, and just what I thought I was looking for, an HSS modern strat.

But actually in hand, neither one rang my bell, like at all, but especially not for the money they go for. Couldn't tell you why or what's missing, but I prefer my EJ strat. I may swap out the pickups -- sacrilege I know -- but at least now I know it's not as simple as picking the format I want from a very respected maker.

There's something about the EJ, and also my Collings, that just resonates with me. I picked both of them after looking for a while and playing a lot of other guitars. Lots of you guys seem to pick a model, go play it, and it just works for you. Apparently I'm more the princess and slipper type...

Buy another EJ and convert it to a HSS.
LOL. That'd piss some folks off :D, but hey, if you want an EJ but with a bridge HB, nobody can do anything but complain, and it's their own problem. :)

FWIW, a super 4p5t switch would let one split that 'bucker automagically as well as do a host of other fun stuff. Add an S-1 volume pot/knob, and you can do even more. Middle switch position can become neck+bridge, with the correct coil from the HB to make it hum cancelling like the bridge+middle or neck+middle usually are these days....

That was a big part of the impetus behind my Franken-Strat's bridge pickup arrangement. The new twist on this is that the bridge pickups are combined in an X pattern, so you get hum-cancelling split with something close to the angled setup. It's probably closest to the one G&L that has the split/staggered pickup design, the Commanche (if memory serves) when split, and adds up to a nice, smoky, sinewy, chewy, saucy HB tone. To do this, you need a righty and lefty bridge pickup, with the lefty's magnets reversed and the lefty turned around backwards so the pickup's tab on the bottom sticks out on the other side. Rout a hole to clear it, and get the pickguard I did (a stock Fender one for an open-coiled HB) and you're golden....

20221203_002933_0.jpg

Last edited:
Try a Tom Anderson Drop Top... Or a Charvel DK-24 USA Select.
Those TAs are hard to find and here, and as pricy as the two I tried. I should try a Charvel, even the import ones are rumored to be pretty good. Or a Schecter Nick Johnston SE.

@Joe Bfstplk I've also been considering the same Fralin Split Blade mix you've talked about, slightly higher wind on the outside two, vintage in the middle. I don't necessarily want a bridge humbucker, just something a bit fatter than stock, especially in the bridge position. In fact, one of the things I didn't like about the higher priced guitars is that the HB is louder than the SCs, and a bit from another planet.

How would you compare those Split Blade pickups to stock Fenders?

Does that Split Blade mix do the 2-4 quack pretty well? I'd love to lose some of the buzz at gain too. Maybe get a fully wired pickguard from Fralin, so if I don't like it I can just take it out and put the stock one back.

Or maybe first see if a really good setup could improve the pickup voicing enough to scratch my tone itches. Besides the thin bridge pickup deal, I've got the middle pickup close to as low as it'll go, and by itself it's still got this pointy strident thing going on that I don't hear in some good YT demos, for instance John Cordy (who I know plays KLine not Fender mostly).

Last edited:
Those TAs are hard to find and here, and as pricy as the two I tried. I should try a Charvel, even the import ones are rumored to be pretty good. Or a Schecter Nick Johnston SE.

@Joe Bfstplk I've also been considering the same Fralin Split Blade mix you've talked about, slightly higher wind on the outside two, vintage in the middle. I don't necessarily want a bridge humbucker, just something a bit fatter than stock, especially in the bridge position. In fact, one of the things I didn't like about the higher priced guitars is that the HB is louder than the SCs, and a bit from another planet.

How would you compare those Split Blade pickups to stock Fenders?

Does that Split Blade mix do the 2-4 quack pretty well? I'd love to lose some of the buzz at gain too. Maybe get a fully wired pickguard from Fralin, so if I don't like it I can just take it out and put the stock one back.

Or maybe first see if a really good setup could improve the pickup voicing enough to scratch my tone itches. Besides the thin bridge pickup deal, I've got the middle pickup close to as low as it'll go, and by itself it's still got this pointy strident thing going on that I don't hear in some good YT demos, for instance John Cordy (who I know plays KLine not Fender mostly).

Did this video a while back, when I'd first got this set up together. Hope it answers some questions for ya. The bridge pair in "Split" mode is treble strings from the white coil and bass strings from the black coil, and is about as close as you can get to a Strat bridge sound from a "humbucker" due to the angle in the equation. It auto splits for the bridge+middle spot. The "high output" bridge is just a little fatter than a stock vintage unit, but still squarely in Fender-land.

Fralin also makes a "Split Steel Pole Strat" bridge pickup that has a bit more beef and mids, and a bit of P90 flavor. I think it can be had in a 5% underwound flavor that may be right up your alley, with a bit more thick than a Strat, and a blend of the Strat and P90. I have the Split Steel Pole Tele 5% underwound bridge in my red Tele, and it's amazing. Lindy's got a great ear for Fender and Fender-ish stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom