No more layouts or PP's

JFKirchner

I turned my FM9 on the day after a great gig and no layouts or per presets. I reloaded my presets and they didn't bring in layouts at all. I spent days perfecting my PP's in my layouts for each preset and I thought all that info got saved when I exported my preset. It apparently didn't. What happened to everything? Does this mean my FM9 will totally fail soon? I'm afraid to gig with it now.

Internal Battery failure perhaps?
Does the battery hold the layout info? Where is the battery located? I just noticed that some of my other presets have the PP's still but still no layouts. It's my main gigging ones that lost everything. The scenes are there in FM edit but nothing on the footswitches at all.

Layouts are backed up with the system settings, not presets. You'll need to reload your system settings .syx backup or the .fclayout file(s) created in the editor.

The Axe III and FM9 use a CR2032 coin cell battery to maintain the system settings like the CMOS battery in a computer. It's located inside the unit on the main PCB. If that battery goes dead or becomes dislodged, all the system settings will be cleared out, including FC layouts. Per preset switch definitions are stored with the preset, so those remain without the battery.

Last edited:
I should imagine it does, the battery is a CR2032 not sure on the location in the fm9 but you can't miss it, looks like this.

Attachments

• CR2032B10_01.png
    CR2032B10_01.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 3
Each pp override assignment overrides a specific switch, in a specific layout. Is it possible that your unit has the wrong initial layout setting?

Is this a common issue? How long does the CR2032 last with regular use of an FM9? I suppose to be on the safe side I should figure out how to back up my FM9 to my PC, find out where the battery is installed, and always have a new CR2032 whenever I am not at home, or at a gig?

My FM9 is only about 6 months old, so how long do these little batteries last? I have a bunch of those batteries for my bicycle peripherals.

Is this a common issue? How long does the CR2032 last with regular use of an FM9? I suppose to be on the safe side I should figure out how to back up my FM9 to my PC, find out where the battery is installed, and always have a new CR2032 whenever I am not at home, or at a gig?

My FM9 is only about 6 months old, so how long do these little batteries last? I have a bunch of those batteries for my bicycle peripherals.
These batteries when used in the Axe Fx II seem to have a life of 10 years or more.

I haven't seen any real reports of needing replacement on the Axe Fx III (which has existed about 6 years) or the FM9 (which is even newer).

I wouldn't be concerned about the battery...

BUT you should already be aware of how to backup your device and being doing so on a regular basis.

Update and some more info… I was digging around and noticed it was more than my layouts. All my global settings were back to factory also. Presets were still there just all global settings and layouts were gone, I updated to FW 7.00 only when it was officially released in mid April. I never applied the beta version. All was good until 5/4. I loaded only the global settings from my full backup I did just before upgraded to 7.00 using the fractal bot. That restored my layouts and prompted me to export all my custom layouts. I saved some before but didn’t realize how far I modded my layouts from my first exports of layout. ( I didn’t have a clue what I was doing then.) I’m gig worthy again. I wonder if this was an isolated global crash or dump or a FW7 bug that is a ticking time bomb.

@unix-guy I’m glad I saw this thread I haven’t backed up anything yet but haven’t created anything I wanted backed up or can’t replicate very quickly. Now I know I need to learn this aspect next!

I also periodically do an 'Export All Layouts' as well as exporting them individually. You can use the 'Edit' pulldown under the 'Layouts section found in the 'FC Edit' screen of the editor. Very helpful if you need to roll back from a customization of your layouts that is causing an unintended action.

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember an update or two resetting my global settings to default. But I always do a backup before an update. As well as every so often, when I create something that I don't want to lose.

These batteries when used in the Axe Fx II seem to have a life of 10 years or more.

I haven't seen any real reports of needing replacement on the Axe Fx III (which has existed about 6 years) or the FM9 (which is even newer).

I wouldn't be concerned about the battery...

BUT you should already be aware of how to backup your device and being doing so on a regular basis.
Does the OS on the Axe FX give you any warning that this battery is dying? Also, is this true for the FM9 and FM3?

Back
Top Bottom