No more EQ needed in new FW??

Jeff B

Inspired
Hey guys... just wanted to run something past you all to see if you're having the same experiences...

I am currently running my AFX into my 2x12 guitar cab (Greenbacks) with no cab block, obviously. Prior to the newest FW, I was having to EQ to help cut some of the "boominess" and excess bass that was present in the flat tone coming from the AFX (using a 6160 BLOCK amp). So at the end of my chain, I created a GEQ block that could be copied between any/all presets to accommodate my cabinet and balance the tone.

Since the update, I reset my amp block as we all do and I noticed that all my presets sounded really over-EQ'd and weird. I wasn't sure what was happening, but as a last resort I ended up bypassing my GEQ block so that now there is no extra EQ on the amp block at all and viola... it sounds pretty darn decent. So just amp, no cab block and no EQ blocks at all and it almost sounds like before when I had to add the GEQ to it. Just wondering if you all had noticed anything similar and why this would have happened?

Thanks! :)

I'm using the Matrix GT1000. Nothing has changed in my physical setup and I didn't read anywhere that there was some major EQ change, so I wasn't expecting this. It's almost as if the amps became more "real" in terms of interacting with genuine guitar cabs as compared to what it did previously in prior FW's? I'm not sure though.

well it's always being improved upon, as the modeling is refined and sweetened it would stand to reason that some "fixes" might not be necessary any longer. I for one have never needed any extreme eq tricks, but I can see how those that have night not need them anymore....

Jeff,
Looking at the release notes it looks like the 6160 was updated in FW 15.01 to modify the default amounts of negative feedback. So depending on where you're updating from, maybe that's the cause of your change?

Well, I'm always up-to-date with all the FW versions, so even from my prior versions, I didn't notice any differences between 15.01....02...03... etc. It was just upon this newest update. I guess I could go back to the previous version and see if there is a difference. I've never done that though. I'd be interested in doing so just to see how it affects things. Is that as easy as just choosing a previous version or would I have to literally upload an old FW to the unit?

Back
Top Bottom