No Longer a Virgin-First Show With The AXE-FX2

dank

Inspired
Hello, all:

52 years old, been playing guitar since 1964. I play guitar in a six-piece Classic Rock and current Top 40 dance band. I have owned far too many effects boxes/multi units to count. Same for modeled amps. I bought the AXE-FX2, new, in July. I had shows in July and August, but I wasn't secure enough to use it. In July, I used my trusty 18+ pedalboard. In August, I did the FRFR thing and used my Digitech iPB-10.

This past Saturday night, we played one of the larger, well-known upscale clubs in my area. While keeping my Digitech in the car as a backup (concerned by some of the posts about blank screens), I went to town with the Axe. I had programmed about a dozen different sounds for the night, each with optional effects ready to kick in via the MFC 101. For leads, I relied either on a "Y" amp that was boosted or triggering a Filter block.

For my foldback monitor, I used the RCF NX 12-SMA. Gorgeous sound. I own the PA which is a pair of Bose L1 line array towers and four Bose bass bins. All sound is mixed via an Allen & Heath 22 channel mixer.

I'm on a wireless, so I am able to check the sound in the crowd. It was suberb. I was really pleased with the Axe. It worked flawlessly, and I was very confident in its performance. My only issue is that I need to do a better job with evening out the volume between patches(presets). Fortunately, they were not extreme; just 2 or 3 out of 12 that I had to roll off the guitar's volume a bit. I did the entire evening with a PRS 513. The guitar sounded as good through this sytem as it has through my various tube amps.

So, we played to a packed crowd that danced the entire night. Plenty of shouts for encores. What a great night! If only I could forego the finacial rewards of being an attorney...nothing like playing great music before a great crowd.

My next step is to learn how to download others' presets, so I can see what you guys have been up to.

Here's a couple of photos of my Fractal rig:

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

Excellent! It will be hard to go backwards once your Axe virginity is gone... everything else feels and sounds like less of, well, everything! I also use the 513 and an RCF. I do have a backup guitar and amp, but that's only if something breaks. Easy to do the whole show with Axe, 513, MFC and pedal, RCF. Covers it all, doesn't it?

You're in good hands, counselor.

You're in good hands, counselor.

Thank you, sir!

And yes, the Bose system is killer. Many people think it only excels at acoustic gigs. We play some pretty heavy rockers and the sound is rich, full and clear. The Axe will only sound as good as the system that is reproducing its sound.

I had my first axe fx II gig this weekend too. My rig was much more limited using only a line 6 spider III 75w to monitor and a berhinger fcb1010 and a couple 10ft cables :?

But yea I loved my sound too and the monitors at the venue were so good that I barely used the line 6 amp :D

hey your case is upsidedown :) nice rig.. that wireless was a few bux.

Doesn't that depend how you look at it? :roll

Yeah, I upgraded from Shure's analog model to the digital version. Expensive, but far superior to the G 90.

Back
Top Bottom