No 'In Volume' On Dry Signal (Outs 3/4)

vaultnaemsae

Inspired
I have an LF+ MIDI controller with an ext. expression pedal assigned to CC10 for In Volume. I frequently use the expression pedal as a volume swell/adjustment effect.

I've just been experimenting again with routing dry guitar signals in parallel with the Axe-Fx II's 'wet' output over USB through Ableton Live. This is not specifically for reamping/recording - it is for sending the dry guitar signal into other audio plugins.

The problem is, that volume assignment is not available to the dry out signal. Is there any workaround for this in the Axe? All I can come up with is:

1. Use a dedicated volume pedal in front of the analog input (I don't really wanna do that when I have the controller right there and I'm using wireless from guitar to Axe-Fx)

2. Assign the same expression pedal to the audio input on the plugins. But this would only be viable a) if the plugins have MIDI control assignment capability b) if the Axe-Fx could actually output/pass through recognizable MIDI over USB correctly to the Mac.

Any thoughts?

Are you using Output 2 1/4" or sending processed USB outputs 1/2 through any plugins?

If not, you could set USB/Digi Out Source to Output 2 and control a volume block first in chain that also feeds the FX Loop block. Then USB channel 1 (or 2) will be the dry signal w/ volume control applied.

Another possible solution is sending LF MIDI out to a separate MIDI interface. The Axe's MIDI Thru (XL) or Out/Thru (non-XL) port may work for this, as opposed to adding a MIDI splitter between LF & Axe.

It’s all USB audio. And yes, Reverb/Delay plugins are applied to the not dry (wet?) Axe-Fx signal on channel 1/2.

I’m using the method where the last block in my chain is the FX LOOP - not shunted to the OUTPUT block. Then USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE is set to OUTPUT 2 (signal from the FX LOOP block). In Live, I select audio input channels 1/2 for my straight Axe-Fx signal (all this to disable direct monitoring) and channels 3/4 as my dry input source for other seperate guitar processing plugins.

Re: MIDI - I bought a small Roland UM-One MIDI interface. It is now plugged into the MIDI Thru port on the XL+ and has solved that issue.

Last edited:
BUMP

I'm thinking this is likely impossible due to the routing I'm using but there are some smart folk here -- It's always hard to top Bakerman's advice ;)

Back
Top Bottom