No FRFR at gigs?

Akstrat

Experienced
Just wondering how many of you gig with out a back monitor? I have a show coming up where the stage is smaller and we are bringing a horn section. Thinking of leaving my RCF home? I use a QSC K12 for my main monitor and love the sound of an amp behind me and just enough in front to keep me from falling forward! How many of you gig without an amp behind you?

When I first bought the AX8, I played with IEM direct to FOH. My guitar sounded a little dull and I was missing the feedback I would get by having stage volume. I still play with IEMs to FOH, but I now run a powered PA speaker in front of me at a rather low volume to get the feedback I was missing. It made a huge difference. I no longer play without my powered PA speaker. The speaker is relatively small and sits just in front of the AX8. It also provides a physical barrier between the audience and my AX8 since we play several gigs either on the floor or on really low risers.

If it’s a duo or the band will be quiet, I just use the general front monitors or sometimes just mains. If the band will be loud, I use a speaker behind me just for guitar, unless it’s an IEM setup.

IEMs and FOH are very practical for many reasons. But there can be a learning curve with this. When I began with IEMs I was startled at how much I had gotten use to vibing off of the stage volume and the chemistry that can provide. IEMs felt dry and sterile to me. But it's a skill, like singing into a microphone and tapping guitar pedals at the same time is a skill.

Get use to it and IEMs really do work great. It's just a different experience.

I played this summer with a band with horns and I used a backline frfr along with going FOH. I was pretty loud in the mix once O heard video but I felt I could hear my guitar mostly from the monitors in front of me. Maybe if you have a backline FRFR keep it in close proximity .

When I first bought the AX8, I played with IEM direct to FOH. My guitar sounded a little dull and I was missing the feedback I would get by having stage volume. I still play with IEMs to FOH, but I now run a powered PA speaker in front of me at a rather low volume to get the feedback I was missing. It made a huge difference. I no longer play without my powered PA speaker. The speaker is relatively small and sits just in front of the AX8. It also provides a physical barrier between the audience and my AX8 since we play several gigs either on the floor or on really low risers.
This is my exact situation too - works perfectly!

I tried the IEM’s for awhile, the whole band changed. We all agreed that the feel of the night was sterile and it felt weird, for lack of a better word. I’m old school and needed to have an amp behind me. I have the K12 in front to use primarily for the vocals and the keys that are on the other side of the stage. I blend in a bit of my guitar with my back line to give a stereo type of feel. As a weekend warrior, this is what has felt best. I’m afraid if I loose the back line, I will again feel dry and lifeless on stage. This is going to be a bigger gig, but smaller stage and I’m really torn as to what I bring to the gig? As a side, I will need about three different guitars, so I feel I’m taking a ton of real estate already? Tough decision!

I did a 10 show run over the holidays without my XiTone. We all used IEM and I thought it was fine. IEMs aren't everyone's cup o tea to be sure, but if you're acclimated to them you've always got that option.

i love IEMs but i've never "needed" a blaring amp behind me. if it was blaring, it's only because the room or band was too loud to hear myself.

i play in several crowded restaurants regularly, and the crowd noise from talking and clanking utensils is way louder than what they allow a stage monitor to be. in fact at one place, they want zero stage sound, only sound through their mains around the venue.

IEMs work perfectly for this, as i can hear myself clearly, no crowd noise except what bleeds into the vocal mics. i actually sing way better and more comfortably (high notes, etc.) with IEMs. guitar sounds great. i can't have an amp here anyway. these gigs are BRUTAL without IEMs. it's a no win.

the weirdest thing is that there is no guitar sound, but just someone singing to nothing if you're extremely close to the stage. because - you guessed it - they don't turn the mains up much at all. mostly out of fear for "blowing up" the speakers...

but you'd be surprised - as quiet as the mains are, people from all over the restaurant pass me to say "you sound great thanks!" as they leave the venue. so it's not about being loud. people can hear it. and they appreciate that it ISN'T loud.

of course this is one specific gig type. but it IEMs are the perfect solution. i also enjoy IEMs at bigger gigs when possible.

it's well worth the time needed to get used to them. and if you have a capable rig, you can mix your own monitors - or show up with it premixed. and that saves a ton of setup time, and of course reduces headache during the gig.

for bigger bands that feel sterile on IEMs, consider adding a room mic in the center of the stage for some ambience, just dial it in to taste. the lack of room sound i find is what makes people hate IEMs. or try any reverb available on your mixer. i always need a bit of that or it feels dead.

i love IEMs but i've never "needed" a blaring amp behind me. if it was blaring, it's only because the room or band was too loud to hear myself.

i play in several crowded restaurants regularly, and the crowd noise from talking and clanking utensils is way louder than what they allow a stage monitor to be. in fact at one place, they want zero stage sound, only sound through their mains around the venue.

IEMs work perfectly for this, as i can hear myself clearly, no crowd noise except what bleeds into the vocal mics. i actually sing way better and more comfortably (high notes, etc.) with IEMs. guitar sounds great. i can't have an amp here anyway. these gigs are BRUTAL without IEMs. it's a no win.

the weirdest thing is that there is no guitar sound, but just someone singing to nothing if you're extremely close to the stage. because - you guessed it - they don't turn the mains up much at all. mostly out of fear for "blowing up" the speakers...

but you'd be surprised - as quiet as the mains are, people from all over the restaurant pass me to say "you sound great thanks!" as they leave the venue. so it's not about being loud. people can hear it. and they appreciate that it ISN'T loud.

of course this is one specific gig type. but it IEMs are the perfect solution. i also enjoy IEMs at bigger gigs when possible.

it's well worth the time needed to get used to them. and if you have a capable rig, you can mix your own monitors - or show up with it premixed. and that saves a ton of setup time, and of course reduces headache during the gig.

for bigger bands that feel sterile on IEMs, consider adding a room mic in the center of the stage for some ambience, just dial it in to taste. the lack of room sound i find is what makes people hate IEMs. or try any reverb available on your mixer. i always need a bit of that or it feels dead.
The first sound explanation for use of IEM in small venues. I prefer backline but thanks for the explanation.

I use IEMs and no FRFR when using my own PA. I'll use a FRFR with somebody else's PA to keep it simple for the sound guy. I have no issue with just IEMs. Some bleed from the other guys' monitors probably helps for the audience close to the stage and not in front of the mains.

I admit that the mix in IEM's might have played a huge role in why I feel they way do about using them. I just didn't feel like I was in the moment. Kinda like FaceTiming someone at a party vs being there in person? Sorry, I'm really old school. I'm the guy with a couple of dozen vintage tube amps sitting in my music room, only to gig an AX8!

I can see guys that use IEM's would have no need for backline amps. Maybe my question would maybe better stated, anyone just use a front monitor at gigs? NO IEM's.

No IEMs, just front monitor mix most of the time. Of course it is all dependent on the stage size, etc. if I bring a FRFR...but mostly just monitor. Haven't had any issues with sound or mix.

My issue with front shared monitors is most venues EQ it for loud vocals so a lot of low and high end is cut, making instruments sound bad. That’s when I use a dedicated guitar speaker behind me.

Back
Top Bottom