No Effects Loop

Jalevinemd

Inspired
I have an FX8 and love it. As I've mentioned in other threads, none of my amps have effects loops. The option of having amp/cab modeling on the AX8 intrigues me. So long as it comes with the same host of blocks as the FX8, I'd like to get an AX8.

So here's the question:

Has anyone gotten great results running an amp/cab modeling device through the front end of an amp with no effects loop...or is the effects loop necessary for the product to work its magic?

Thanks,

Jonathan

I've tried that before with other modelers and the results were pretty bad. You'd be better off buying an inexpensive solid state power amp and using one of your guitar cabs bypassing the cab block on the AX8. If you really want to use the cab block spring for a FRFR setup.

Depends on how you use the amp. I use my amp as a clean platform (I run it just on the edge of breakup), with my AxeFx II taking the place of a traditional pedalboard. It sounds phenomenal, and I regularly get compliments on my tone. I plan on doing the same thing with the AX8, except running a drive pedal in the FX loop so I can have three separate gain stages. I'll either use the amp/cab modelling as backup/as a travel rig, or run in stereo, using my Stulce amp on one side, and the modelled amp on the other.

Oddly I have found that solid state amps tend to behave more favorably when connecting a digital amp emulation in the input.

I'd never run amp/cab blocks into the front of an amp, that will likely sound bad. But the AX8 should sound just like the FX8 with those blocks unused or bypassed.

What you could do different with AX8 is run it with amp/cab models engaged direct to the PA, and FX only out to your amp on stage. Then you wouldn't need to mic your amp to FOH, and you will sound as good or better too (IMO based on my Axe-fx experience doing that).

Put FXloop block just before the amp and cab in the preset, then you can connect your amp from the loop send instead of regular line out. For this to be effective, you'd want to amp model and IR that sounds similar to what you have on stage, and you'd have to keep your amp and cab blocks last in the chain in your preset.

Back
Top Bottom