No Differences When Changing Tubes?

Hi all, I have an AX3 going into a Powerstage 170 and a Mesa cab. I have power amp modeling on but am unable to hear any tonal difference when changing power tubes (i.e., going from a 6L6Gc to an EL34, etc...). I’m a relative newb. What am I doing wrong?

be that as it may, when I switch a JCM 800 from EL34s to 6L6 I get quite a bit more bass, so even though the reason may not be the tube but the resulting impedance, you should be able to hear a difference.

I agree. While I understand the concept now and, as stated, was totally schooled on the topic, there are perceptible tonal differences when changing tubes in an amp; regardless of the tube's EQ, or lack thereof. Putting 6L6's in my TC-100 from the original EL34's made it a very different-sounding amp. It's a pretty interesting topic that I'll keep researching

A couple of things:

1. Maybe it’s true, power tubes don’t have an intrinsic sound. Then why has FAS spent so much time on providing a variety? Latest addition being the 6CA7, IIRC. They could have provided one generic model of “power tube.” Unless there really are differences.
2. If changing tubes changes other characteristics of the amp’s performance, could we please get those “baked in” to the model of the power tube so the amp reacts as in the real world to a change?

be that as it may, when I switch a JCM 800 from EL34s to 6L6 I get quite a bit more bass, so even though the reason may not be the tube but the resulting impedance, you should be able to hear a difference.
Did you read that thread? The Axe Fx does some "magic" when changing tube types.

If you don't like that, then I suggest maybe submitting a wish for something different.

Did you read that thread? The Axe Fx does some "magic" when changing tube types.

If you don't like that, then I suggest maybe submitting a wish for something different.

I’m simply saying that you can in fact hear a difference when switching from EL34 to 6L6 in the Axe FX.

I don’t know how you read any disapproval into that. Did you perhaps mean to reply to greiswig instead?

I’m simply saying that you can in fact hear a difference when switching from EL34 to 6L6 in the Axe FX.

I don’t know how you read any disapproval into that. Did you perhaps mean to reply to greiswig instead?

I have not been able to hear anything discernible when switching between the above mentioned tubes in my AX3. I will try @Budda's suggestion of turning up the master volume, however. I keep mine at about 10 o'clock or so. Hopefully, that will help. I mostly use the FAS Modern amp.

I would think changing the power tubes and the Speaker Impedance Curve under Speaker in the Amp block would yield the biggest difference. Since the power section plays off that resistance. Just a thought.

I have not been able to hear anything discernible when switching between the above mentioned tubes in my AX3. I will try @Budda's suggestion of turning up the master volume, however. I keep mine at about 10 o'clock or so. Hopefully, that will help. I mostly use the FAS Modern amp.

Modern high gain amps get most of their sound from the preamp, so it makes sense that the change for the power section wouldnt be drastic. It will affect how it responds and the tone a little bit, but maybe 5%-10% tops. Don't expect a new amp sound to come of it without altering some ideal and power amp specs.

The most important part is just finding a tone that inspires you to play IMO. Try the tube swap with other amp models - baseman, hiwatt, 5150, mark IV, see what happens.

Another relevant control besides MV is negative feedback which IIRC in part controls the sensitivity to speaker impedance. Thus tube swapping may be more or less pronounced. (Will confirm later on my unit.)

Nope... I simply misread what you were saying. I thought you were saying that in a real amp you were hearing a difference but not in the Axe Fx.

Sorry for the confusion :)

Back
Top Bottom