NO DIFFERENCES BETWEEN RECTO SOUNDS???

Paul '82

Inspired
Hello to everyone!
I upgraded my AXE FX 2 with the newest firmware, 15.07
I started to try different amp, the recto modes in this particular case. I made an X/Y comparison between Recto2 Org Vntg /Recto2 Red Vntg and Recto2 Org Mdrn / Recto2 Red Mdrn but I hear no differences.
I tried to check in the advanced menu and I see no difference between the parameters.
Someone can help me? Are the same modes with different names?

Thanks in advance!

To my ear there is a very big difference between Orange and Red modes. Orange is warmer, Red is brighter. I personally tend to use Orange modes. Not sure why you wouldn't hear a difference though... how are you monitoring your sounds?

Maybe do some A/B recordings and upload them here so we can take a listen? It might be your sound source, not the AFX.

Thanks!

Although I can definitely hear the difference on my monitors, the first one is very warm and the second has a lot more mids/highs. The second one has tighter bass for when you are palm muting; whereas the vintage is more loose. So they both seem to be showing the right characteristics you would expect from orange vs red.

Having said that, I think they are fairly close to each other, so if you were playing them in a mix you wouldn't really tell which is which. You probably need to experiment with them with different cabs to bring out other characteristics of their sounds. I mean, you might find a cab that works well on both, and separates them even more than the current cab you are using.

:encouragement:

Thanks!

Although I can definitely hear the difference on my monitors, the first one is very warm and the second has a lot more mids/highs. The second one has tighter bass for when you are palm muting; whereas the vintage is more loose. So they both seem to be showing the right characteristics you would expect from orange vs red.

Having said that, I think they are fairly close to each other, so if you were playing them in a mix you wouldn't really tell which is which. You probably need to experiment with them with different cabs to bring out other characteristics of their sounds. I mean, you might find a cab that works well on both, and separates them even more than the current cab you are using.

Thank you! :D

On iPhone speakers the second sample definitely sounds brighter, can hear it in the ambient noise even before you start playing.

On iPhone speakers the second sample definitely sounds brighter, can hear it in the ambient noise even before you start playing.
Do you mean the second sample of each playlist? Or the second link? Because I made 2 different playlists. In the first is included the vintage orange and red mode, and in the second orange and red modern ones. :)

Last edited:
Thanks!

I ask you too... do you mean that the first link is different from the second or the first sample of each link is different from the second one? Because there's a playlist in each link and within it there's a comparison between orange and red (vintage and modern). :)

I ask you too... do you mean that the first link is different from the second or the first sample of each link is different from the second one? Because there's a playlist in each link and within it there's a comparison between orange and red (vintage and modern). :)

Yeah sorry, unfortunately that is how I read it:

Here we are!
I recorded and reamped with Axe2 via USB.
I made 2 playlists. The Vintage Ones and The Modern Ones. Same parameters, same cab and mic, I switched only modes. I switched them using Axe Edit, the last one.

https://soundcloud.com/user3290550/sets/recto-2-vntg

https://soundcloud.com/user3290550/sets/recto2-mdrn

The links in your original post looked like they were referring to vintage (vntg) and modern (mdrn). So to me it looked and sounded like you had done exactly that. In fact, what have you done differently between the first link and the second link? For my ears it sounds like the difference you would expect between vintage and modern. I cannot hear any difference in the first half of link 1 to the second half of link 1. And the same for link 2.

I'd say its because they largely do sound similar.

Hope no one takes it the wrong way, but is frankly "cork sniffer" stuff a lot times, differences between amps, tubes, brands of string, Chinese vs English speakers etc.

Does that mean there are not differences ? No, but simply that they are very small, and unless your really into this aspect of the hobby, its going to be hard to tell.

Its like Fender amps, are they different ? Yep, but do they all sound kind of the same for the most part ? Again yep

I hear a difference between the 1st link (vintage), and the 2nd link (modern), but I hear no difference between the orange (1st half of each link) and the red (2nd half of each link).

I'd say its because they largely do sound similar.

Hope no one takes it the wrong way, but is frankly "cork sniffer" stuff a lot times, differences between amps, tubes, brands of string, Chinese vs English speakers etc.

Does that mean there are not differences ? No, but simply that they are very small, and unless your really into this aspect of the hobby, its going to be hard to tell.

Its like Fender amps, are they different ? Yep, but do they all sound kind of the same for the most part ? Again yep

I understand what you mean, but in this case I'm not talking about different tubes or similar amps, this is the modellation of different channels and modes of the same amp. This is Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, one of my favourite amps of all time. I played a dual rectifier many times (a friend of mine has one) and you can hear differences between Orange Vintage and Red Vintage, and Orange Modern and Red Modern modes. Usually red modes are much brighter than the orange. Orange has a "round" (can I say that?) sound because it has less presence.

I understand what you mean, but in this case I'm not talking about different tubes or similar amps, this is the modellation of different channels and modes of the same amp. This is Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, one of my favourite amps of all time. I played a dual rectifier many times (a friend of mine has one) and you can hear differences between Orange Vintage and Red Vintage, and Orange Modern and Red Modern modes. Usually red modes are much brighter than the orange. Orange has a "round" (can I say that?) sound because it has less presence.

I was a long time 2-channel dual recto guy and the differences between orange and red channels are exactly as you described. And i can hear those same differences in the Axefx.

Back
Top Bottom