No cab sim feed into L+R Stereo Poweramp & Cab

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys. I have a question regarding a powered cabinet setup. I'm thinking of getting a Roland Jazz Chorus JC120 to use as a powered (non FRFR) cabinet. I normally send one feed from my Axe FX (w/cab sims) Direct to FOH and another feed (w/no cab sims) to an external poweramp and 4x12 cabinet. The only problem I see with running into the Jazz Chorus is that the Power amp input on it is L+R stereo (two separate inputs) as you can see in the picture. I am trying to figure out how would I get a single 1/4" feed from my Axe FX into both power amp inputs (main in pictured on the far right) on the Jazz Chorus.

Would a stereo TRS y split cable do the trick here or is there likely to be some phasing or ground loop issues? Or should it work just fine to run a TRS 1/4" cable that splits into two TS 1/4 jacks into each of the stereo inputs? I've included a picture of y split cable for reference. Ideally it would be great if it had a L/mono input that would sum the signal to mono thus appearing in both the L+R inputs but that is not the case with this particular model but is on some newer ones.

Thanks guys. love to have your advice on this one.

Attachments

• jazz chorus rear panel.jpg
    jazz chorus rear panel.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Jazz Chorus y split cable.jpg
    Jazz Chorus y split cable.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4
Out 2 has two outputs. You can just use them both .... Or use a Y cable.
I use my Axe in an unconventional way that works for me. I'm using the Main Outs from the Axe Fx as such:

L Balanced Out w/cab sim to FOH
R Unbalanced Out no cab sim to power amp and real cab

I do this by running the cab block last in the grid (row 3) and a parallel empty block (row 4). In the Main Oututput tab I have row 3 panned L and row 4 panned R. This way I have a mono rig with full use of my Effects loops etc as I'm pretty much using all my ins and outs already plus a cab sim feed to FOH and a no cab sim feed to my power amp and real cab. It works great and all of my patches are like this.

Y cable it is then
Yeah cool. That won't diminish the output given that it is being shared between the two inputs? Sorry if that's a stupid question. I'm just trying to make sure I don't commit to buying a $1000 amplifier only to find out that I get some terrible hum or lowered output or something like that the moment I plug it in. I'm not able to test this before I buy it in this case.

Back
Top Bottom