NNGD :)

So, logically this means I should stop cruising my favorite local guitar shops' web sites, yeah?

I don't go window shopping for other stuff almost at all -- furniture, cars, clothes, tools, houses, I don't know, what do normal people buy or think about buying for fun? I really don't buy much of anything for fun, just stuff we need, so how did I get into this cycle of thinking about guitars, even if I only rarely buy them?

Last edited:
:laughing: Yeah... I'd bet you're about as likely to do that as I am... if I'm on the web and not at work, 99.9% it's something guitar related and I still love going to shops. Like you, I don't really window shop, don't shop much at all unless it's something specific (like a car). No clue how normal people buy things, but this sure is fun!! ;)

Here's another one, from Corey Congilio this time.
Title is "PRS SE DGT - So Close to the Core Model!".

FWIW, I didn't really agree with his conclusion exactly.
Didn't want to, but I thought the Core definitely sounded better in all three humbucking positions, classier all around.
Splits were a little surprising, Core was duller, didn't have as much of a single coil vibe as the SE.
Just my $0.00002, from the cheap seats out here in YT land.

So, logically this means I should stop cruising my favorite local guitar shops' web sites, yeah?

I don't go window shopping for other stuff almost at all -- furniture, cars, clothes, tools, houses, I don't know, what do normal people buy or think about buying for fun? I really don't buy much of anything for fun, just stuff we need, so how did I get into this cycle of thinking about guitars, even if I only rarely buy them?
Forums.

Its a cycle I’d like to break even though I dont know what I’d be doing instead (and the subsequent buying and selling).

Realistically we should all play more even if its not practice, with that time :)

I do get “bee in bonnett” ideas and research things heavily and quickly, which isnt a total downside.

That’s normal. I just look at guitars on Reverb. Almost every day. Craigslist too.

Well I jumped and ordered a SE DGT. 7lbs 10oz and the shop is throwing in a PLEK and setup for $849 shipped. Brand new so hopefully it’s a good one.
Seems like a very nice deal, hope it goes well.

Who gave you that deal, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you'd rather, and no pressure in any case.

Seems like a very nice deal, hope it goes well.

Who gave you that deal, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you'd rather, and no pressure in any case.

I’m sure they wouldn’t mind. It was advertised that way with the PLEK, not a deal we worked out on the side. Maybe they’ll do it again.

https://reverb.com/shop/c-and-m-mus...ios-share&utm_campaign=shop&utm_content=50217

https://reverb.com/item/81568402-pr...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=81568402

This. I had a friend of mine, when I had all of my PRS and assorted other gear pretty much tell me that I shouldn't own it (or at least that's how I took it) because I don't gig. Not going to lie it pissed me off quite a bit as well as my wife (who's the last person you want mad at you LOL).

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Why do we do this if we're not going to buy?

Beats being on the receiving end of one of the OL's excruciatingly long-winded monologues about....
  • What needs improvement around the house
  • Home decorating ideas she saw on the web
  • Vans converted into homes
  • The bad things ______ did up to 50+ years ago (insert "her mom", "her older sister, "her younger brother")
  • The bad things ______ did up to 30+ years ago (insert "her ex husband", "her younger daughter's father", "her older daughter", "the cop who pulled her over on Mule Rd.", "a coworker at a job")
  • Etc.

This. I had a friend of mine, when I had all of my PRS and assorted other gear pretty much tell me that I shouldn't own it (or at least that's how I took it) because I don't gig. Not going to lie it pissed me off quite a bit as well as my wife (who's the last person you want mad at you LOL).

I own what I own not to show off but because I like to have what I have. Yes I had to dump quite a bit of my collection because I was taking care of my brother and needed the $ and sure I miss some of it but I don't dwell on it. If im able to one day replenish what I had in some way then so be it, if I never do that's just fine as well.
As ive always said im not the most accomplished player, and I will always downgrade my own playing just because. I just enjoy playing.

I suspect if gigging is the qualifier for buying guitars (or any other gear), a lot of companies would go out of business.

One of the issues we have here in Australia (and more specifically Brisbane, which is not a big city) is that all you get in stores are the big brands - Fender, Gibson, Gretsch (yeah, Fender by another name to me), Ibanez and a few of the other suspects. As new offers, none of these excite me in any way, so about the only time I walk into a store and find something interesting is when they have a half decent used inventory. The biggest disappointment to me was the SE Silver Sky, which after much touting on the interwebby thingy turned out to be a distinctly ordinary guitar to me - our sort of "best" store got I think four of them in all the colours and after picking up the first one and thinking "oops, a rare dud from PRS" I moved onto the next..... then the next...... then the next........ not good, not really bad, just not really anything at all. Haven't played a core model (haven't even seen one in real life here in "Stralya), but I really hope they are a quantum leap better than the SE!

Back
Top Bottom