NGD!

Sixstring

Legend!
So I sold the Epi Explorer and bought another Carvin CT6! This one is a hardtail in pretty good shape too for an 09. I just finished installing the electronics that I removed from the Explorer upgrade that didn't work out.

Specs are somewhat standard for a Carvin CT series, 12" radius, SS medium Jumbo frets, side dots no inlays, Hog body, Flame maple cap in Antique Brown with matching headstock. The back of the neck on this one has been finished which I don't care for so I will be sanding that off and finishing that off with a tongue oil treatment.

Other than that she plays really good, no fret buzzing anywhere on the neck which is nice and straight! There were a few dings in the finish which I tried to polish out but were too deep. I going to try the old CA fill and hope that works out. There was a scratch in the top of headstock by one of the tuning pegs which I was able to remove.

The case it came with Im not big fan of which is the plastic Carvin type. Im looking to get a case made for it. Does anyone know of a place that will build one to spec? The tried and true G&G cases are fine but I want to line the interior with white fabric instead of black.

IMG_0704.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0699.JPGIMG_0686.JPG

Last edited:
So I sold the Epi Explorer and bought another Carvin CT624! This one is a hardtail in pretty good shape too for an 09. I just finished installing the electronics that I removed from the Explorer upgrade that didn't work out.

Specs are somewhat standard for a Carvin CT series, 12" radius, SS medium Jumbo frets, side dots no inlays, Hog body, Flame maple cap in Antique Brown with matching headstock. The back of the neck on this one has been finished which I don't care for so I will be sanding that off and finishing that off with a tongue oil treatment.

Other than that she plays really good, no fret buzzing anywhere on the neck which is nice and straight! There were a few dings in the finish which I tried to polish out but were too deep. I going to try the old CA fill and hope that works out. There was a scratch in the top of headstock by one of the tuning pegs which I was able to remove.

The case it came with Im not big fan of which is the plastic Carvin type. Im looking to get a case made for it. Does anyone know of a place that will build one to spec? The tried and true C&G cases are fine but I want to line the interior with white fabric instead of black.

View attachment 95108View attachment 95110View attachment 95111View attachment 95112
Nice guitar! I’ve owned many Carvin and Kiesel guitars, since about 1986. They were are really good guitars.

Nice work with the wiring - very clean!

Congratulations on your new guitar!

Stunning guitar and wiring! Do be careful with redundant grounding- ground loops will cause unexpected issues with RF and when using certain fuzz pedals.

Stunning guitar and wiring! Do be careful with redundant grounding- ground loops will cause unexpected issues with RF and when using certain fuzz pedals.
Didn’t notice that. This may be a dumb question, but how does this work when the pots’ casings are directly connected to ground through the shielding as well?

Didn’t notice that. This may be a dumb question, but how does this work when the pots’ casings are directly connected to ground through the shielding as well?

I don't think that's true.

I tried to keep them short as possible. The main reason is just to make sure the pot is grounded! A soldered connection is always better electrically than a mechanical one (pot smashed against the copper shielding).

Interesting. This is the most helpful article I’ve found on grounding, and it argues for ground loops being a possibility.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/11/12/understanding-guitar-grounding/
I just looked at the article in your link you posted, interesting read through! To be clear what I did for grounding was to bond the pots and switch to the shielding. The control cavity shielding once the cover is on is basically a Faraday cage and if it is not included in the grounding path it doesn't do it job very well! The sleeve side of the input jack (White wire) runs to the volume pot then to the tone pot and ends there.

The pickups are also grounded at the volume pot. The switch is the only thing I forgot to include in that link. It is bonded to the shielding which is somewhat the same thing but I may go back in and add another wire from the tone pot to the ground lug on the switch to complete the chain.

It seems to have worked as it is dead silent!

A little update on the neck refinish!

After roughly 3.5 hours of sanding through the poly and stain and some refinishing work on the fretboard (had to soften the edges) I came up with this! I didn't have any tung oil so I went with what I had laying around the shop, which was some Danish oil!

I'm not satisfied with what I have done with the fretboard so I will be re visiting that still have some hash marks to remove!

I am satisfied with the overall finish work I did on the neck! It feels so much better without all of that poly on it! I have to admit at first I was a little nervous tackling this project having never really done it especially on a guitar of this caliber. After a few strokes with the sandpaper it was just like any other wood project I had already done.

IMG_0715.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0714.JPGIMG_0712.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom