NGD - Tom Anderson incoming

Yes, they use a thread locking fluid. I briefly swapped the stock arm for the Red Bishop Magik arm and ran into the same issue. The fit of the Anderson arm bushing is quite snug but it does come out without issue. I had to use the leverage of the nut to remove the press fit bushing (where the arm goes in on the top side of the bridge).

I did not like the Magik arm. Despite the advertising claims, it does have some play. It also developed a creaking noise when moving the arm that could be heard through the amp (Axe-FX). I switched back to the stock Anderson arm and bushing after just a few weeks. I'm thinking I might check to see if a Gotoh 510 arm will fit but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Yes, they use a thread locking fluid. I briefly swapped the stock arm for the Red Bishop Magik arm and ran into the same issue. The fit of the Anderson arm bushing is quite snug but it does come out without issue. I had to use the leverage of the nut to remove the press fit bushing (where the arm goes in on the top side of the bridge).

I did not like the Magik arm. Despite the advertising claims, it does have some play. It also developed a creaking noise when moving the arm that could be heard through the amp (Axe-FX). I switched back to the stock Anderson arm and bushing after just a few weeks. I'm thinking I might check to see if a Gotoh 510 arm will fit but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
How did you get the nut loose without the socket spinning?

Can you post a picture of the underside? I do t remember exactly what I did but I think it involved two wrenches.

Can you post a picture of the underside? I do t remember exactly what I did but I think it involved two wrenches.
It's not trivial to get to it so that will have to wait until I have time to remove it again.

However, there's only a single nut underneath and nothing else to put a wrench onto :(

It's not trivial to get to it so that will have to wait until I have time to remove it again.

However, there's only a single nut underneath and nothing else to put a wrench onto :(
Now that I've thought about it longer I recall that the Red Bishop bushing installation was the one that required two wrenches.

I think I recall that I used the nut to push against the base plate of the bridge. As I tightened the nut onto the underside the base plate the friction fit bushing on the top side of the base plate began to come off and eventually I was able to remove the assembly. I don't know if that is the correct way of doing it, but it worked and was reversible.

I'd email or call Anderson just to be sure because they'll have the actual answer of how to go about doing it properly. I have seen reports online that they answer the phones during business hours and that Tom Anderson himself is often the one who takes the calls.

I've met with Tom Anderson a few times quite a while back and have admired his guitars and separately his pickups. Tom's concept of stress relieving the wood before shaping necks is pretty great and his finishes are nothing short of amazing.
I wished I could own one... Congrats on your new axe!

I've met with Tom Anderson a few times quite a while back and have admired his guitars and separately his pickups. Tom's concept of stress relieving the wood before shaping necks is pretty great and his finishes are nothing short of amazing.
I wished I could own one... Congrats on your new axe!
Stress relieving the wood sounds interesting. Would you happen to know where I could read up on that?

The creaking is the push in spring is too tight (a 2 second fix). You were very unlucky I have fitted a LOT of these and no issues ever. No slop and no sound but the creak is something that happens on the Gotoh made Edge trem for the reason I state. Even a tiny application of teflon grease in the indent of the bar fixes it but a tiny easing of the spring is the fix.
Also to remove a floyd bushing from the baseplate it is common to need to tap it from the back once it is removed from the guitar and the mech fixings have been removed also. It is meant to be an interference fit.

The creaking is the push in spring is too tight (a 2 second fix). You were very unlucky I have fitted a LOT of these and no issues ever. No slop and no sound but the creak is something that happens on the Gotoh made Edge trem for the reason I state. Even a tiny application of teflon grease in the indent of the bar fixes it but a tiny easing of the spring is the fix.
Also to remove a floyd bushing from the baseplate it is common to need to tap it from the back once it is removed from the guitar and the mech fixings have been removed also. It is meant to be an interference fit.

I observed the same degree of play that this guy had:

I observed the same degree of play that this guy had:

You can see the fitting underneath moving. It isn't installed properly. The bushing is a collet design and snug doesn't have play by design. Loosen it substantially and you may have a tiny bit but I have fitted a LOT of these and that is installer and user error. You can't fit these without removing the trem from the guitar.

You can see the fitting underneath moving. It isn't installed properly. The bushing is a collet design and snug doesn't have play by design. Loosen it substantially and you may have a tiny bit but I have fitted a LOT of these and that is installer and user error. You can't fit these without removing the trem from the guitar.
Yea I put a couple of the red bishop arms on some of my guitars, and I never had any issue with them. This guy was just lazy and cut corners. Do it right or not at all

Tom is the best in the business. I am blessed to call him a friend and to have shared the stage with him for years. Here are 2 Angels he made me recently......... Nothing like it! You are gonna love it:)

View attachment 115663
Those look great!

I'm digging it a lot!

When I attempted the trem arm socket replacement I ended up needing to change strings but didn't have 9.5s that it was sent with.

I figured I would try 10s to see if I like them. I don't! But I'm still having fun with it. :)

I got some 9.5s and will put those on this weekend...

I'd email or call Anderson just to be sure because they'll have the actual answer of how to go about doing it properly. I have seen reports online that they answer the phones during business hours and that Tom Anderson himself is often the one who takes the calls.
I got a reply back within a few hours. They confirmed that they use Locktite and I may just need to "crank it hard".

I'll probably make attempt #2 this weekend.

@unix-guy - beautiful guitar! You're going to love it. My Andersons are just perfect guitars, and I don't say that lightly. They literally play perfect and sound perfect. I don't know how Tom does it so consistently.

Back
Top Bottom