NGD - Taylor Acoustic!

I have a 714ce with the Lutz spruce top. It’s a sweet guitar. The Taylor’s are all built well, but not all equal in tone within the same models. You have to try them out to find the one that suits you. It’s fun shopping them.
You are so right about that! I didn't care for the Cedar top; it was too dark. And the 2 Spruce tops were pretty close in tone, that iirc, I chose the one that looked better to me.

One thing that helped push me further into the higher-priced models (besides that I had the money), was the fact that the other 2 needed a setup. Notes were choking out further up the neck. Needed a simple shim adjustment, which GC was unwilling to do, unless I bought the guitar, for an extra $50. I felt that, ok, supposed I pony up the 50, then it plays right, but I decide I don't like it? I wouldn't get my money back.

Imo, they should've had every guitar in their store set up to play properly. I'm not talking about player's preferences, but how do you expect a customer to fully evaluate a guitar that's choking out notes slightly, on an acoustic?

So in a way, GC's policy resulted in me probably going higher than maybe I would've, otherwise. But I really wanted a Taylor!

Just one of many reasons, in this guy's humble opinion, why GC is a shell of what it once was.

Looking at the different tiers in the Taylor series 200, 300, 400, and up...the pricing model confuses me a bit as there is some overlap. I get you pay more for various accruements like upgraded bracing, nicer finishes, cut away/beveled edges etc. For example, the Builders edition 324ce price is about the same in the entry of the 700 series. I know a lot is very subjective and just looking at it from purely a pragmatic p.o.v. i wonder about the law of diminishing returns of say upgrading 224ce ($2500) to the 324ce builders edition ($4100) (CAD pricing). Pretty big jump money wise. You get USA made, better bracing and beveled armrest and solid woods all around etc. Just musing is all today.

Builders editions. Nice if you have the cash but not necessary imo. Beveled edge is nice but I’ve not once noticed any discomfort from playing a traditional top. Just try guitars until you find the best sounding one. Maybe it will be a builders. Maybe not. The V class bracing is nice, but is it really better than other traditional methods? My sons been visiting the last few weeks and has a Martin D00015 Mahogany. My guitar has nothing on the Martin except nicer and more modern construction and higher quality woods. Play wise and sound wise they’re a tie. Not the same animal though. All hog vs Rosewood/Spruce. Both nice guitars.

Builders editions. Nice if you have the cash but not necessary imo. Beveled edge is nice but I’ve not once noticed any discomfort from playing a traditional top. Just try guitars until you find the best sounding one. Maybe it will be a builders. Maybe not. The V class bracing is nice, but is it really better than other traditional methods? My sons been visiting the last few weeks and has a Martin D00015 Mahogany. My guitar has nothing on the Martin except nicer and more modern construction and higher quality woods. Play wise and sound wise they’re a tie. Not the same animal though. All hog vs Rosewood/Spruce. Both nice guitars.
yeah so true. In the end its what sounds and feels good to the individual player and what you bond with. Sometimes that costs you less and sometimes more

To cement my choice today I'll be going back to the shop to A/B a few Taylors against my 224ce dlx koa.
-324ce builders edition
-714ce grand auditiorim w/ vbrace that is used at the shop for about $1000 of reg price. This option would be me spending a total of $500 more (from the 224)
-722ce grand concert select koa
-724ce grand auditorium

the factors aside from how it sounds (with my eyes closed) and feel are:
the 1 3/4 nut (the others) vs 1 1/16 (224) (EDIT: This is 1 11/16")
and the scale length on the 722ce that is 24 7/8" vs the standard 25 1/2" on the others
thirdly I really want to evaluate having beveled edges/countour armrest on the 324

since this will likely be my only acoustic purchase in the next decade or longer I want to be 100% sure

Last edited:
To cement my choice today I'll be going back to the shop to A/B a few Taylors against my 224ce dlx koa.
-324ce builders edition
-714ce grand auditiorim w/ vbrace that is used at the shop for about $1000 of reg price. This option would be me spending a total of $500 more (from the 224)

the 1 3/4 nut (the others) vs 1 1/16 (224)
and the scale length on the 722ce that is 24 7/8" vs the standard 25 1/2" on the others
thirdly I really want to evaluate having beveled edges/countour armrest on the 324

since this will likely be my only acoustic purchase in the next decade or longer I want to be 100% sure
Not trying to muddy the waters here, but since you're still looking, if you get a chance to play any USA made Breedloves I'd highly suggest it. I have played a lot of Taylors - 314, 414, 510, 710, 814 and Grand Auditoriums - and they are all very nice guitars. Played a handful of Breedloves, Martins and Takamines alongside some Taylors and at the price point I was at, the Breedloves felt more comfortable and sounded a bit more full.

I currently have a C25/SMe - Sitka Spruce top with solid Mahogany back and sides with the LR Baggs Element VTC. The only Taylor I've played that sounded 'better' was a 25 year old, well cared for 710 a friend let me borrow for a couple of weeks when I changed strings for him. Plugged in, I will take the Breedlove over a Taylor.

Not trying to muddy the waters here, but since you're still looking, if you get a chance to play any USA made Breedloves I'd highly suggest it. I have played a lot of Taylors - 314, 414, 510, 710, 814 and Grand Auditoriums - and they are all very nice guitars. Played a handful of Breedloves, Martins and Takamines alongside some Taylors and at the price point I was at, the Breedloves felt more comfortable and sounded a bit more full.

I currently have a C25/SMe - Sitka Spruce top with solid Mahogany back and sides with the LR Baggs Element VTC. The only Taylor I've played that sounded 'better' was a 25 year old, well cared for 710 a friend let me borrow for a couple of weeks when I changed strings for him. Plugged in, I will take the Breedlove over a Taylor.
I'll take a look but not sure breedloves are readily available locally. I should have mentioned a large reason for me targeting Taylor was they are running a 0% financing promo at the shop...

I'll take a look but not sure breedloves are readily available locally. I should have mentioned a large reason for me targeting Taylor was they are running a 0% financing promo at the shop...
You won't go wrong with a Taylor, just thought I'd offer an alternative I found if you have the opportunity. Good luck with the search, having a good acoustic around is never a bad thing.

I spent 3 straight hours carefully comparing these 3 models- 324 builders edition/724ce/224ce (mine) I carefully listened to how they each sounded hitting same chords or short passages in rapid succession. focused on sounds/tones then focused on feel/action. My observations right away was that the 324 builders edition tonally was most similar to my 224 but did have the edge with more open/warm sound and of course the contours and upgrades for builders edition. However; at this price jump that puts you into 600/700 series.
The 724ce had the nicest most balanced tone of all three. Really really was tempted to swap mine for this. The last hour was spent deliberating if it was worth $1500 price jump for that more open warmth.

Feel wise: my 224ce was the best of all. Easiest to play and ultimately what makes me pick the guitar most is playability so that became the dominant factor. The 724 was so so so close in this regard. There was an older guy who walked in and clearly knew his stuff and i could tell he was a musician by how he played. He was auditioning a few and we got talking so he offered his imput. picked up the 724 and the 224 and then asked how much the price difference was. he immediately said, yeah thats not $1500 better at all. So close. That's all I needed to hear!

The 224ce stays. Also we agreed it was the nicest looking of all 3 though the builders edition is gorgeous. I did try out an 800/900 series briefly just to see what the fuss is. Honestly felt /sounded like the 724.

Though other models had more openness/warmth that I liked , I felt once I just have one and not multiple to constantly compare the difference would eventually fade. And not night and day differences to begin with..just flavors/voicings that were all pleasant depending on your style. Playability for me won out in the end. I know i'll probs still think about that 724. It was a very close one. It was beautiful for strumming.

side note: again I have no idea why sometimes my uploaded images are doing this vs just showing in the post as thumbnail or full vs attachment. If anyone knows why?...
Picture left to right is the 724, 324, 224

Attachments

• Taylor compare.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
-324ce builders edition

the 1 3/4 nut (the others) vs 1 1/16 (224)

1 3/4 nut (the others) vs 1 1/16 (224), really? That's a huge difference.

Now that I'm home playing my 224 the differences , in memory, are already faded. Sounds great. Was good to audition a few to be sure. I'm OCD that way with purchases. I need to satisfy my confirmation bias;) There were also some really nice Martins there I never mentioned. Again, I stuck with Taylors for the 0% financing deal but the acoustic rabbit hole is very inviting....

The 724ce had the nicest most balanced tone of all three. Really really was tempted to swap mine for this. The last hour was spent deliberating if it was worth $1500 price jump for that more open warmth.

I’m very fortunate to say that price isn’t the most restrictive factor for me. That said, I can honestly say that my favorite guitars that I own aren’t the most expensive ones.

I’m very fortunate to say that price isn’t the most restrictive factor for me. That said, I can honestly say that my favorite guitars that I own aren’t the most expensive ones.
they had a k24ce builders edition. Now if I didn't have any restrictive factors I would have snagged it. Just over $8000 I couldn't even bare to touch it:) Just gorgeous though

1699978358422.png

question: how many of you change strings immediately on a new guitar even if its not necessary? Just to have a fresh set on not knowing how long the guitar has been on the wall

question: how many of you change strings immediately on a new guitar even if its not necessary? Just to have a fresh set on not knowing how long the guitar has been on the wall

If it’s been on the wall, I usually ask for a fresh set and have had no problems getting them (no extra charge).

Back
Top Bottom