NGD: Suhr Pete Thorn Signature

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a super-strat style guitar for a while, only to dissuade myself over a variety of reasons (price, versatility, want versus need etc.) After hearing about the Suhr Pete Thorn model I couldn't believe it, it literally checked every box as to what I would want in a super-strat.

Compound radius neck w/ stainless steel frets that isn't wizard thin? Check.
Beautiful yet understated finish with binding? Check.
Versatile yet believable pickup switching? Check.
Strong and clear PAF's instead of overwound Nitro-Buckers? Check.
Mahogany body to balance things out? Check.

It was the refined (mature?) super-strat that I have always dreamed of down to the wiring (the auto split-coil neck position and treble bleed are simply awesome) and I was determined to snag one if the opportunity presented itself. The pandemic ended up delaying that process, but I finally got my hands on one..........and it's even better than I imagined.

I don't have enough good things to say about this guitar. The fit and finish is simply impeccable. It immediately challenges my Collings 290 as the most impressively built guitar in my possession. The Thornbuckers are as good as advertised - versatile without lacking character, clear with enough bite in parallel to twang yet hot enough to pull off an ill-advised Nuno impression when in series, well balanced and most importantly - always clear as a bell.

I'm used to more traditional necks, so I'm slowly getting used to the extra-real estate near the body, but I'm already loving how playable yet comfortable this neck is! The red top is GORGEOUS. I went back and forth between this one and the black w/ the red back (which looks badass) but was ultimate won over by the red (although I may already be day dreaming of one day buying a black one for drop-tunings)

As for the AXE III, there isn't a single amp model that this guitar doesn't play well. It REALLY likes the plexi models, which makes sense given Pete's affinity for them. I cranked the "Plexi 100w High" with some good Greenback IR's and just rolled my volume knob down or switched the bridge to parallel for any shade I wanted - from Searing overtones to Scott Henderson "Tore Down House"-esque chime (did I mention how much I liked the treble bleed!)

I'm currently in a bar band that runs the usual gamut of covers (Beatles, Eagles, Cheap Trick, Foo Fighter, Steely Dan, Tom Petty, Black Crowes etc.) and I can honestly say I could use this guitar for an entire gig and not feel like I was being in-authentic to the source tones. Between the switching options and the clever wiring, they are all in there.

But enough of my blabber, here she is ;)

IMG_7930.jpgIMG_7934.jpeg
IMG_7936-1.jpeg

Very nice. I have the gold top model. It’s a keeper.
The bridge with the tone knob pulled up sounds glorious through Bergs dumble preset.

Any of you kindly folks should feel free to drop one off at my house any time :)

I did but you weren't in and as I had to run to get the flight home I didn't feel right about leaving a nice guitar like that outside for you ... especially after hearing that neighbour of yours saying what he'd like to do to you. But you know what? It's all cool. I played it a bit more just now and have grown to like it so I'm going to keep it myself I think.

I did but you weren't in and as I had to run to get the flight home I didn't feel right about leaving a nice guitar like that outside for you ... especially after hearing that neighbour of yours saying what he'd like to do to you. But you know what? It's all cool. I played it a bit more just now and have grown to like it so I'm going to keep it myself I think.
Aw man, you're no fun. And sorry I missed you ;)

That thing is so pretty. I built my Warmoth to the Thorn specs. Mr. Suhr was kind enough to send me the wiring diagram after I DM's him on the gear page. Mine sounds great and like you said, will cover almost anything. I was hoping the 1st position (or 5th) on the switch would yield me a single coil tone. It's in the ball park but not quite the single/neck tone I was hoping for. I also didn't get jumbo frets, which is my only regret. But they're stainless and it still feels and sounds awesome. I'm sure the real deal is even better. Great guitar.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a super-strat style guitar for a while, only to dissuade myself over a variety of reasons (price, versatility, want versus need etc.) After hearing about the Suhr Pete Thorn model I couldn't believe it, it literally checked every box as to what I would want in a super-strat.

It was the refined (mature?) super-strat that I have always dreamed of down to the wiring (the auto split-coil neck position and treble bleed are simply awesome) and I was determined to snag one if the opportunity presented itself. The pandemic ended up delaying that process, but I finally got my hands on one..........and it's even better than I imagined.

I don't have enough good things to say about this guitar. The fit and finish is simply impeccable. It immediately challenges my Collings 290 as the most impressively built guitar in my possession. The Thornbuckers are as good as advertised - versatile without lacking character, clear with enough bite in parallel to twang yet hot enough to pull off an ill-advised Nuno impression when in series, well balanced and most importantly - always clear as a bell.

I'm used to more traditional necks, so I'm slowly getting used to the extra-real estate near the body, but I'm already loving how playable yet comfortable this neck is! The red top is GORGEOUS. I went back and forth between this one and the black w/ the red back (which looks badass) but was ultimate won over by the red (although I may already be day dreaming of one day buying a black one for drop-tunings)

As for the AXE III, there isn't a single amp model that this guitar doesn't play well. It REALLY likes the plexi models, which makes sense given Pete's affinity for them. I cranked the "Plexi 100w High" with some good Greenback IR's and just rolled my volume knob down or switched the bridge to parallel for any shade I wanted - from Searing overtones to Scott Henderson "Tore Down House"-esque chime (did I mention how much I liked the treble bleed!)

I'm currently in a bar band that runs the usual gamut of covers (Beatles, Eagles, Cheap Trick, Foo Fighter, Steely Dan, Tom Petty, Black Crowes etc.) and I can honestly say I could use this guitar for an entire gig and not feel like I was being in-authentic to the source tones. Between the switching options and the clever wiring, they are all in there.

View attachment 85950View attachment 85948
View attachment 85949

nice !

I freaked out a bit when I first opened the case on my Pete Thorn guitar. Then I realized the fret protector was in place. IIRC, Suhr uses those fret protectors to prevent the strings from banging against the stainless steel frets during shipping. It’s a nice touch. I’ve never seen any other guitar manufacturers do that.

ESP does it as well. I just got the guitar on my new avatar last week or so and it had them.

freaked me out initially TBH

View attachment 85950View attachment 85948
View attachment 85949
So, it is safe to say that you like the guitar?

Can it get a balls-out thick tone like AC/DC?

Indeed it can. Today I had the Friedman Smallbox model cued up and was going through “Have a drink on me.”
Good to know. I’ve had my eyes on this guitar, but thought it was mainly a modern tone. With that being said I’m glad to hear it can get a balls out thick tone. We will see how much money I have left over from my garage conversion. That will determine whether I get a Les Paul Standard, a Heritage H-150, or this guitar!

Good to know. I’ve had my eyes on this guitar, but thought it was mainly a modern tone. With that being said I’m glad to hear it can get a balls out thick tone. We will see how much money I have left over from my garage conversion. That will determine whether I get a Les Paul Standard, a Heritage H-150, or this guitar!

I think the biggest thing that drew me to the Thorn model is that it has the playability of a superstrat, but is more versatile and refined tonally. The thorn buckers are great in that they are extremely clear, but never shrill or too trebly. Rolling back the tone knob about 20% reduces the high end without killing the presence in the upper mids, which makes it perfect for 70’s rock riffing.
At the end of the day, it’s still an Bolt-on stratty scale length, so it’s not going to be as “syrupy?” as a Les Paul or fully outrun it’s DNA, but it is VERY versatile and isn’t as sizzling or toppy as most superstrats.

Back
Top Bottom