NGD: Suhr Classic T

OrganicZed

Fractal Fanatic
This 2015 Suhr Classic T pro series arrived yesterday. The previous owner maintained it really well and I can't find a single ding or scratch anywhere on it aside from some pick swirl on the guard. The fretboard needs to be cleaned / oiled and the bridge has some built up dust / tarnish, but the guitar is otherwise in mint condition.

As expected from a Suhr, the medium stainless steel frets are absolutely perfect. They are dead level across the entire neck and are still polished to a mirror shine. The satin finished neck has the 60's medium C profile which is on the larger side of what I usually go for, but it suits the vintage flavor of the instrument and is comfortable in the hand. The guitar sustains really well in every position (no dead notes!).

I haven't taken the time to dial in a patch to match the guitar's pickups and tonal qualities yet but the 90 minutes or so that I've spent playing it have been fun. As expected, it sounds great through clean and edge of breakup patches, but what shocked me is how good it sounded through a high gain Engl Savage preset. I expected it not to work and I was trying it out just to get a laugh at the absurdity of it, but man this guitar can chug! The silent single coil system works really well and I could actually see using this guitar in a hard rock / metal context. I'm impressed.

I thought that it was a plain jane based on the photos in the listing. In person, however, the high gloss Olympic white finish is quite fetching. I'm considering putting a colored pickguard on it to give it a bit more flair but the all white aesthetic is growing on me. This is my third guitar purchase in 2022 but this is the first one that won't be returned. We've got a keeper!

1655943021127.png

1655943083751.png

1655943104109.png
A

Congrats! Love the dark, rich look of a Rosewood board on a Tele. Helps tame some
of that bright Tele spank, too. :)

Congrats! Love the dark, rich look of a Rosewood board on a Tele. Helps tame some
of that bright Tele spank, too. :)
It really doesn't. The reason fenders with rosewood boards tend to be mellower than the maple counterpart was usually the alder instead of ash body. There are always exceptions with wood though.

It really doesn't. The reason fenders with rosewood boards tend to be mellower than the maple counterpart was usually the alder instead of ash body. There are always exceptions with wood though.

I know you know more than me, but I am going to disagree based on my own experience.
A Rosewood fretboard will create a warmer tone (relatively speaking) than a maple
fretboard on the same guitar. Ebony is also brighter than Rosewood.

Again, in my own experience, rgardless of what anyone who knows more than me might say
to the contrary. :)

I know you know more than me, but I am going to disagree based on my own experience.
A Rosewood fretboard will create a warmer tone (relatively speaking) than a maple
fretboard on the same guitar. Ebony is also brighter than Rosewood.

Again, in my own experience, rgardless of what anyone who knows more than me might say
to the contrary. :)
There is a difference between more immediate and brighter. Ebony sounds more like maple but rosewood is not warmer it is slower to respond and upper mids are reduced in prominence it also depends on the oil content. Play an R9 acoustically and you won't be thinking warm. Also just adding a rosewood neck to an existing guitar will not bring warmth to the tone. It often scoopes upper mids. You must trust your ears always though and I am not telling you what YOU hear, only what usually happens. I was just saying that "rosewood ,warm / maple ,bright" is rarely just this one difference. You would need two guitars that were the same in every other way to "hear" the difference the fingerboard only actually makes.

Back
Top Bottom