NGD! Strandberg Boden Original 8 Purple

kushdingies

This beauty just came yesterday in the mail :) I haven't had a chance to try it loud yet, only through headphones during the workday, but I'm thrilled with it so far. It feels great, I love the aesthetic, and finally having an 8 string is super satisfying. I honestly love the Endurneck, I don't really notice it and I think it really makes sense with the extra wide 8 string neck, it doesn't feel weird or foreign to me at all. I am getting a little tripped up sometimes with the combination of extra string, fanned frets, and tiny fret inlays, but I'll get used to it in a few days. Having only played and listened through headphones so far, I'm holding off judgment on the pickups and tone, but the fact that I got a usable tone in headphones with pretty minor tweaking is great. This one has the Fishman Fluence Moderns in it, so I'm really excited to hear it through my FRFRs.

Only nitpicks so far are that there's some fret buzz on the lower strings when I play hard. But that's not too surprising with super low action after sitting in a warehouse and shipping and such, I'll let it settle for a few days and then maybe fiddle with the truss rod and/or bridge height. This wasn't bought direct from .strandberg*, I got it from Guitar Center, so it was sitting in a warehouse before I ordered it. Considering that, the setup out of the box is great otherwise, it feels great to play and the intonation is awesome. Also for the price the finish on the body is just "cool" instead of "mind blowing". But I am in love with the look of the guitar anyway so that's really just nitpicking. I'm really happy with this guitar so far, I can't wait to crank it after my roommates and I are all done with work.

Day 1 noodling with some Haken on a USA Lead patch:
strandberg.jpg

Nice - I've been gassing for a strandberg for a while. I think I'm leaning towards a Prog 6.

Sounds killer man! Love the timbre of that low A. Now I just learned the 8th string is a F# :p

Congrats! That sounds and looks great! Strandbergs are my new addiction. I got into five string basses for a while and realized that once you add strings, fanned frets sound more appropriate for the lower notes. Normal scaled necks would get a bit flubby on the lows.

Back
Top Bottom