NGD Steinberger ZT3

Mohi

Experienced
Commpulsive purchase, but it was one of my fetiche guitars since I saw Brian Aspey shredding it more than a decade ago (but hat was an ADA MP1, hopefully in firmware 24..... :p). I guess it is a complicated one, many people saying it aint a true Steinberger, time consuming to adjust tremolo (I sold all my FR guitars) and almost no spare parts but I am in love with it anyway :) I It is in pretty good shape, I managed to make the lock and standard float positions tuning stable, so it is OK for me, I rarely use the whammy bar.

So far after a bit of testing, sounds really great with those Gibson inspired pups, really ready for rock and interesting sonic possibilities with the parallel / series wiring. The neck is a bit on the fat side but not uncomfortable. Hope to enjoy it for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpeg
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 36
I'm a big fan of Steinberger . I still have three, a prototype GL hardtail, GL4T and a GS7Z . I was always on the lookout to get a ZT3 but never found one at the right price. My GL4 is still a favourite, but they are so expensive now. They where never cheap but there was a time when nobody really wanted them and that's when I got mine.

Hey, you are truly a fan :) I've seen the GL4T as expensive as 6500 €, really crazy. In eBay there are also some ZT3 in Japan, but 1600 € plus import taxes make them unaffordable. I was lucky to find one in pretty good shape for a lot less, but took me years.

Those prices will never return, even 80's Japan rock guitars go for actual money these days. When I started out in the early 80s a 54 Strat was £1500 and a 52 Gold top was £2/3k max and they where available to buy.

Have you used the d'Addario double ball strings? are they really "calibrated" for the TransTrem equipped guitars? mine came with 10-46, I prefer 9-42 (such a pussy) so would change them.

Have you used the d'Addario double ball strings? are they really "calibrated" for the TransTrem equipped guitars? mine came with 10-46, I prefer 9-42 (such a pussy) so would change them.
I've been using the D'Addario double ball 10-46 ever since I got the guitar. They're fine, and the lengths are correct.

Yes you do need calibrated strings because the amount of dead string affects the distance the pitch changes when you move the trem an exact amount. It has to be within the calibration range. The TT1 and TT2 where designed around 9-42 and both calibrate the best with this set so I think it is fair to assume the TT3 was also designed with a 9-42 being the default assumption. The TT3 is easier to set up because the range is less.

Back
Top Bottom