NGD! - Returning to My 7 String Roots

Wow, never seen that one before. Purdy!

Part of me wishes I had fanned frets on my 9-string. The 28.625" scale length for the high strings is tedious. 9s feel like 11s. And the extra length wears my left hand down sometimes.

Wow, never seen that one before. Purdy!

Part of me wishes I had fanned frets on my 9-string. The 28.625" scale length for the high strings is tedious. 9s feel like 11s. And the extra length wears my left hand down sometimes.

I haven't played much on it yet. No point until I put the new strings on and set it up properly. I will say that the feel is extremely natural, and I love the variable tension. Makes chords much easier, and the fret angles really do align much more naturally with hand movement.

Snagged this one from Sweetwater. They have more. Ibanez RGIF7 Fanned Fret - Black Stained | Sweetwater.com

Nice! I also have a guitar with 707X and I find that I'm liking them (it helps that they're being played thru an Axe FX ). What's the scale on that Ibanez?

Nice! I also have a guitar with 707X and I find that I'm liking them (it helps that they're being played thru an Axe FX ). What's the scale on that Ibanez?
27"-25.5"

To OP, if you are going to tune it to F#, why didn't you just go with the 8 string model and keep all the range?

27"-25.5"

To OP, if you are going to tune it to F#, why didn't you just go with the 8 string model and keep all the range?

Don't need the extra string for what I'm doing. On my previous 7 string, 198 years ago or so, it was a standard 25.5 scale. I tuned down comfortably to G#. F# on a 27 scale with a slightly heavier gauge will suit me just fine. \m/

Don't need the extra string for what I'm doing. On my previous 7 string, 198 years ago or so, it was a standard 25.5 scale. I tuned down comfortably to G#. F# on a 27 scale with a slightly heavier gauge will suit me just fine. \m/

Nice guitar! How are pulling off F# on a 27"? I have a 72 as my heaviest string and I only drop to A haha. Got dat flop??

I am not smart enough to ever go beyond a 6-string, but I admire people able to manage so many strings, and the fanned frets.

But I must confess, one question: Doesn't the bass player get mad at that incursion into his or her territory? :)

The bass player is me, so no. :lol Also, I'm going to pair it with Ibanez's fanned fret 5-string bass offering. Tuning the low B down to F#.

Back
Top Bottom