NGD - Relish Mary

I was a big single coil nut for a long time, aside from the HSS Strat that made you give up the bridge single to get the GR-RRR! going on. Lately, I've found some HBs I can relate to (SD Jazz, PRS 59/09, 58/15LT, 85/15S - all relatively vintage/low output), and I've found that Fralin's Hum Free P90s represent the perfect middle ground between the two....
I'm sort of the reverse. I've been just recently getting into single coil tones. Maybe that's another reason I've not had too much interest in P90s, because it's not as far removed from the HB sound.

Do you have any experience with Phat Cats?

I'm sort of the reverse. I've been just recently getting into single coil tones. Maybe that's another reason I've not had too much interest in P90s, because it's not as far removed from the HB sound.

Do you have any experience with Phat Cats?
Haven't played with them. P90 in a humbucker size, right? Perty sure Fralin has that sort of thing as well, and with the hum free P90 inside....

Haven't played with them. P90 in a humbucker size, right? Perty sure Fralin has that sort of thing as well, and with the hum free P90 inside....
Not what you're talking about, but Fralin also has a strat sized p90-ish thing.

I'm actually considering getting a prewired pickguard with two of their split poles, and the "p90" in the bridge. That'd let me put back the original if I don't like it. Not that cheap though.

Not what you're talking about, but Fralin also has a strat sized p90-ish thing.

I'm actually considering getting a prewired pickguard with two of their split poles, and the "p90" in the bridge. That'd let me put back the original if I don't like it. Not that cheap though.
I have their Split Steel Pole Tele bridge pickup, 5% underwound, and it is STELLAR. :)

I have their Split Steel Pole Tele bridge pickup, 5% underwound, and it is STELLAR. :)
I checked out their website. Definitely some interesting stuff available in humbucker-sized packages and lots of "hum canceling" single coil pickups. Thanks for mentioning them. I'll keep them in mind when I'm ready to add a set.

Just got a Swiss-made guitar, the Relish Mary. What a great piece of gear! It's a semi-hollow construction with an aluminum frame. It's piezo equipped with two removable pickups via the removable back (held on by magnets). There is no visible neck joint when the back is installed. It has 24 medium jumbo stainless steel frets. The upper fret access is outstanding (I've never spent too much time that far up, still it's great to have it).

If you're not familiar with Relish, they've developed a new pickup switching system. So the pickups are "plug-n-play". You can either purchase ready-made pickups or have your choice mounted on the Relish pickup frames. I can see some humbucker-sized single coils in my future and maybe some P90s.

I've got two other guitars with piezo, but this is now my best sounding one. The output jack is stereo, so I'm waiting delivery of a stereo splitter cable (should arrive tomorrow) to be able to utilize separate signal chains.

I was back and forth between this and the Jane, but went with this because the Jane is more hi tech with a touchpad pickup selector switch. I didn't want to mess with that. BTW, this three-way switch is so smooth, it's like butter; I've never felt one like it.

@bleujazz3, this is what I mentioned yesterday that I opted for over the PRS HBII. In the end I felt like a Kiesel I have was just too similar to that guitar.

View attachment 125375View attachment 125374View attachment 125368View attachment 125370View attachment 125371View attachment 125372View attachment 125373
Congrats! I am always happy when guitars outside the mainstream get some love.

Back
Top Bottom