NGD - PRS Custom 24

fox5150

Inspired
Hi Everyone,

This is one of those weird situations where a guitar you've played before and hated on a different day speaks volumes to you on another. When I picked up my PRS513, which was a few years ago now, I tried a variety of other PRS guitars, including the Custom 24, Custom 22 and a McCarty. None of these really spoke to me - I found them all a bit lifeless and "devoid of soul". Even the McCarty, which had the fabled 57/08 pickups in it. I just didn't like them, bought the PRS513 and promptly marked the PRS Custom range as "not for me".

I don't know how many of you follow the "Chappers" YouTube videos with Lee from Andertons, but I always check out what they're up to and demoing. They did a few vids on some of the newer PRS guitars, including the Custom 24, Custom 22 and 'Paul's Guitar'. It was the latter of these that really interested me but, alas, it doesn't come with a trem and I really like what a trem does to a guitar, even if it's blocked off. (Of course, this almost certainly means they'll release a version with a trem at NAMM, but I shall try and not pay any attention to that!). In I trundle to my local music store to find out what their relationship with PRS was like as they've not really had any in for a good couple of years. Wearing a sh!t eating grin, the owner simply says "Turn around". There on the wall is probably the biggest selection of PRS guitars they've had in an extremely long time, including two quite remarkable Custom 24's.

PRS have "fiddled" with the Custom 24 for 2013 and I was truly amazed at the improvements. The one I can't stop banging on about are the tuning pegs, in that they react immediately. From what I've read Paul is renowned for changing out bits and bobs to improve the instrument and I would have to say that these two that I played bore little sonic resemblance to the one that I tried a few years ago. PMT (my local store) had been quite cunning and picked two Custom 24's that each had the two new neck profiles and the two different types of pickups. They had one in Jade Green with the Pattern Thin neck and the HFS (Hot, Fat and Screams) and VB (Vintage Bass) pickups and one in Orange Tiger with the Pattern Regular neck and the 57/08 pickups.

I tried both of these and much preferred the Pattern Regular neck over the thin, which wasn't really a surprise to me as I prefer thicker necks. With the pickups, the HFS/VB combo are simply hotter than the more vintage themed 57/08 pickups so, again not really being a surprise, I preferred the 57/08 pickups too.

I've been very fortunate in that I recently earned a promotion at work and promised myself a new guitar when I finally got it all confirmed. I'd then procrastinated for one reason or another, until my beloved wife (who understands me so well) just told me to go get it last Saturday. My intention was to get the PRS rep in with a selection of Custom 24's, but this one just spoke to me and I had to have it.

This will almost certainly become my first choice gigging guitar, with the 513 as backup. Now all I've got to do is (finally) get the Axe-FX all dialled in ready for our first gig of 2014 in a couple of weeks time.

Here it is:

e3b053b573c6df6b0f7939bb6ca95918_zpsee612d5a.jpg

83057fd0117579a650b9c8db3a1b3963_zpsc2deac2f.jpg

e1d422a4ffb779486e4cd46504001160_zpscafe62df.jpg

One of the things that has really struck me is how much lighter it is compared with my 513. I think it's down to both the body and neck being thicker on the 513, just from a cursory look at least. My poor back certainly doesn't mind that one bit :)

Happy New Year everyone!

Simon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks guys. I've not had a 24 fret guitar before, so that's taking a few adjustments. Probably not the right expression, but I'm having to adjust for the slightly 'cramped' picking area. It's such a joy to play, I'm quite happy to make them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ive got a bunch of guitars. A few jems, a wolfgang, some lp's and some others, but absolutely nothing sounds better through my axe fx than a PRS does. I always go back to my custom22. I just wish i had a 24 =(.

Nice guitar man!

Back
Top Bottom