NGD, living the Hollowbody life

Rick

Axe-Master
Actually arrived a week ago, but I’ve been busy playing it. 😊

I‘ve tried various semi and full hollowbody guitars over the last 45 years, but feel or feedback always intervened. On the suggestion of a friend, I bought a 1999 PRS Hollowbody I with a spruce top, and it totally changed my mind about what a hollowbody guitar could be, and what I could do with it. Playability was, of course, great... it’s a PRS. But tone was equally great, and feedback was no Issue at all at gig volume. Cool!

So, I’d been digging the low turn pickups and neck/scale of my McCarty SC594, and liking the vibe of the McCarty Hollowbody I. The best of both worlds? The McCarty 594 Hollowbody II, so I decided to give it a try. And I’m loving it!

The top and back, by the way, is solid maple that is carved on both sides (top and underside). There is a block at the neck joint, and under the 2 piece bridge. I believe it is the combination of the non-laminate top and these connection points that control the feedback. The rest of the interior is, as you’d expect, hollow. The top does resonate, as (like an acoustic guitar) I can hear the tone change by placing my hand in different spots. It’s a great design that gets the more traditional hollow body woodiness, without the uncontrollable feedback.

Anyway, it plays great, sounds awesome acoustically, and does the tones I like as loud as I want them. For my rock, pop, classic rock, blues, country, and r&b needs, it’s perfect. I’m very, very happy with it.

13A450A6-DC19-46BD-9E55-D66094B6D71D.jpeg
8935DA2B-978B-458A-8314-EC84F1569CD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats!

I see myself selling my 10-top MC594 for a HBII in future, but the HB will have to look equally as good lol

Congrats!

I see myself selling my 10-top MC594 for a HBII in future, but the HB will have to look equally as good lol
I ended up selling my MC594 to cover most of it, as I don’t (or should I say my back doesn’t) like shouldering a Les Paul-weight guitar across a 4 set night these days. The 594 has the neck, pickups, scale, and sound... at under 6 pounds. Wish I’d have tried these years ago. Although I loved my 513s for over a decade, I believe they will be retired in favor of this one and my HB I. Here’s a pic of that one... both just stellar instruments.

40DA7DC4-C330-4A3C-8BC3-5CC7F8590F1D.jpeg

There was a spruce hbi or hbii at a well known prs dealer here for a great price a few years ago, but I was in a touring band and almost broke all the time. It would have been fun!

Congrats! Last year I was looking for a Hollowbody II with Piezo, but I couldn't get the color I wanted. So I changed plans and bought a Taylor T5z instead.

Congrats! Last year I was looking for a Hollowbody II with Piezo, but I couldn't get the color I wanted. So I changed plans and bought a Taylor T5z instead.
I have a nice T5z as well, and it’s a wonderful guitar. A different direction, but a good one. Its great to have both!

I have a nice T5z as well, and it’s a wonderful guitar. A different direction, but a good one. Its great to have both!
I'm pretty happy with the T5z, because it's a very versatile guitar. But there are some sounds, which I don't get out of it (yet). Therefore it's good to know more options, either for addition or for replacement. I didn't have the chance to play the Hollowbody II, but know the sound only from videos. How would you describe the main difference between the T5z and the Hb II?

I'm pretty happy with the T5z, because it's a very versatile guitar. But there are some sounds, which I don't get out of it (yet). Therefore it's good to know more options, either for addition or for replacement. I didn't have the chance to play the Hollowbody II, but know the sound only from videos. How would you describe the main difference between the T5z and the Hb II?
They’re really different tools for different tasks, although they have common ground and you could get by with either in place of the other if you had to do it. The non-594 version Hollowbody II Piezo is even closer. I’ll give you my opinions on the sounds:

The T5z is an acoustic focused instrument that does electric guitar tones. It does much better acoustic tones than you can get out of the 594 HB II. On the down side, it will be more prone to acoustic issues like feedback. With the right setup, and an Axe FX is perfect for it, you can make a setting for each position to really show it off at it’s best, then get some interesting tones by mixing and matching guitar settings to patch. Just don’t be in full acoustic setting on the guitar and punch up your blazing 100+ db SLO patch. 😊

The 594 Hollowbody II is an electric guitar. Period. It gets some acoustic-ish sounds in the split coil settings with the right patch, but it’s an electric more in the vein of an ES-335 than it is anything acoustic. It does have a mostly hollow, and noticeably smaller, body and is much lighter than the 335s I’ve played. Mine is under 6 pounds! The carved top and back give it some acoustic volume when playing unplugged (in that way, it is a bit like the T5z), and add a woodiness to the tone that I think is very musical. You can get very loud with it in all settings, 8 in total with the coil splits, and unwanted feedback has been no issue at all.

As an aside, the non-594 HB II Piezo is in the middle of the two. Different neck carve, bridge setup, and scale, but otherwise similar to the 594 with an added piezo option. I heard this run split with the piezo pickup going to a Fishman Loudbox and the acoustic sound was very pretty. If you’re looking to bridge the electric and acoustic realms, it’s worth a look.

I have a T5 LTD that‘s currently at Taylor for a refret, and can add that the original, larger bodied T5 was even a shade more toward the acoustic side than the T5z. I’ve heard it said the T5 was for the acoustic player who wanted to play some electric, and the T5z was for the electric player who wanted to play some acoustic. That’s pretty accurate! To blur things a little more, I’m having them refret the T5 with T5z frets. I like the feel better, but then I’m the electric player in the above analogy.

The regular 594 sold me on the setup, and the McCarty HB I showed me a guitar could be light, resonant, musical, and rock music loud without dying a squealing death on stage. The McCarty 594 Hollowbody II is the perfect combination of everything I love about each of those guitars, and is spot-on right for me today. I don’t do big wang bar solos these days and could bring along a trem guitar if I really needed it. So this guitar is all I need, and is just flat enjoyable to play.

The T5s are safe, though. They’re pro grade instruments that cover a crossover spot where I do find myself playing from time to time, and they’re the perfect fit there. It’s a real luxury to have both.

Last edited:
They’re really different tools for different tasks, although they have common ground and you could get by with either in place of the other if you had to do it. The non-594 version Hollowbody II Piezo is even closer. I’ll give you my opinions on the sounds:

The T5z is an acoustic focused instrument that does electric guitar tones. It does much better acoustic tones than you can get out of the 594 HB II. On the down side, it will be more prone to acoustic issues like feedback. With the right setup, and an Axe FX is perfect for it, you can make a setting for each position to really show it off at it’s best, then get some interesting tones by mixing and matching guitar settings to patch. Just don’t be in full acoustic setting on the guitar and punch up your blazing 100+ db SLO patch. 😊

The 594 Hollowbody II is an electric guitar. Period. It gets some acoustic-ish sounds in the split coil settings with the right patch, but it’s an electric more in the vein of an ES-335 than it is anything acoustic. It does have a mostly hollow, and noticeably smaller, body and is much lighter than the 335s I’ve played. Mine is under 6 pounds! The carved top and back give it some acoustic volume when playing unplugged (in that way, it is a bit like the T5z), and add a woodiness to the tone that I think is very musical. You can get very loud with it in all settings, 8 in total with the coil splits, and unwanted feedback has been no issue at all.

As an aside, the non-594 HB II Piezo is in the middle of the two. Different neck carve, bridge setup, and scale, but otherwise similar to the 594 with an added piezo option. I heard this run split with the piezo pickup going to a Fishman Loudbox and the acoustic sound was very pretty. If you’re looking to bridge the electric and acoustic realms, it’s worth a look.

I have a T5 LTD that‘s currently at Taylor for a refret, and can add that the original, larger bodied T5 was even a shade more toward the acoustic side than the T5z. I’ve heard it said the T5 was for the acoustic player who wanted to play some electric, and the T5z was for the electric player who wanted to play some acoustic. That’s pretty accurate! To blur things a little more, I’m having them refret the T5 with T5z frets. I like the feel better, but then I’m the electric player in the above analogy.

The regular 594 sold me on the setup, and the McCarty HB I showed me a guitar could be light, resonant, musical, and rock music loud without dying a squealing death on stage. The McCarty 594 Hollowbody II is the perfect combination of everything I love about each of those guitars, and is spot-on right for me today. I don’t do big wang bar solos these days and could bring along a trem guitar if I really needed it. So this guitar is all I need, and is just flat enjoyable to play.

The T5s are safe, though. They’re pro grade instruments that cover a crossover spot where I do find myself playing from time to time, and they’re the perfect fit there. It’s a real luxury to have both.
Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation. I was looking for the acoustic sounds and so I'm pretty good with the T5z. I have already several presets with quite different sounds for it, but I guess, that I have to invest more time for getting certain sounds. But the playability is fantastic and much better than a real acoustic.

That's a beauty. Kind like mine, except for the color.
That’s a pretty sweet looking axe, man! I really like it. I might add another at some point if I gig with it, but that’s still a “who knows when” thing, which will give me time to save! Congrats on yours, it’s a beauty!

I didn't realize the HBII vs 594 HBII was a different neck profile. Something to keep in mind!
Yes sir! The McCarty HBII is the hollowbody version of the standard McCarty, with the Pattern neck, 25” scale, single volume and tone control. It can also be had with a piezo bridge, which adds a switch and knob to the controls. I think of the McCarty as more the standard, modern PRS.

The McCarty 594 HBII is the hollowbody version of the McCarty 594, with the Pattern Vintage neck, 24.594” scale, separate volume and tone controls per pickup. Think of a great sounding and playing vintage Les Paul without all the old guitar quirks, and you’ve got the 594 versions.

I have a gorgeous 594 now, and I must be feeling the van bench nights because less weight has some appeal. I havent weighed mine but it's not light - and PRS cases are heavy. Plus I just always thought HB PRS looked cool thanks to Incubus and Gob (they had one in a music video years ago).

Sadly HBII's in any config dont really come up used. There was a JA-15 for 24 hrs at our main PRS dealer, but I wasnt sold on the finish and had no idea how they actually feel to play.

A 594 HBII in aquamarine will probably be my next trade up. Sadly the deals are in the US, which involves the ole card. No rush on my end!

I have a gorgeous 594 now, and I must be feeling the van bench nights because less weight has some appeal. I havent weighed mine but it's not light - and PRS cases are heavy. Plus I just always thought HB PRS looked cool thanks to Incubus and Gob (they had one in a music video years ago).

Sadly HBII's in any config dont really come up used. There was a JA-15 for 24 hrs at our main PRS dealer, but I wasnt sold on the finish and had no idea how they actually feel to play.

A 594 HBII in aquamarine will probably be my next trade up. Sadly the deals are in the US, which involves the ole card. No rush on my end!
PRS cases are heavy, especially the Artist and PS ones. For gigging, I use the Mono Dual Guitar Case, though I haven’t tried to stuff two HBs in one yet! I leave the PRS cases at home unless I’m just carrying one guitar to a jam session or the like.

Good luck on your search!

PRS cases are heavy, especially the Artist and PS ones. For gigging, I use the Mono Dual Guitar Case, though I haven’t tried to stuff two HBs in one yet! I leave the PRS cases at home unless I’m just carrying one guitar to a jam session or the like.

Good luck on your search!

I found a deal on an 09 10-top HBii in blue matteo today (listed as whale blue which is darker).

I can only afford to keep the 594 or the HBii, so we'll see who wins haha.

Back
Top Bottom