NGD Les Paul Classic

Nice axe. I've always wondered what the difference was between the Classic and the Standard was.

That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer, and the answer varies from year to year. This year, the key differences are: the Classic has fancier electronics, with 4 push/pull pots for pickup configuration and the Standard bursts have flame tops. Necks, pickups, tuners are all the same. Although there's a '50's version of the Standard that has a fatter neck. Also, the classic has weight relief and the standard does not, so the standards weigh more. They both have a mahogany body with binding and a maple cap and a rosewood fretboard.

Generally speaking, the Standard is intended to be more of a classic model, while the Classic is intended to be more modern, but don't confuse that with the Les Paul Modern model. It's confusing :). But I will say the new guy who took over last year is making great strides in putting the company on the right track.

That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer, and the answer varies from year to year. This year, the key differences are: the Classic has fancier electronics, with 4 push/pull pots for pickup configuration and the Standard bursts have flame tops. Necks, pickups, tuners are all the same. Although there's a '50's version of the Standard that has a fatter neck. Also, the classic has weight relief and the standard does not, so the standards weigh more. They both have a mahogany body with binding and a maple cap and a rosewood fretboard.

Generally speaking, the Standard is intended to be more of a classic model, while the Classic is intended to be more modern, but don't confuse that with the Les Paul Modern model. It's confusing :). But I will say the new guy who took over last year is making great strides in putting the company on the right track.
Pretty sure the Standard have weight relief also, for nearly 30 years.

Yes, the new CEO is doing a decent job of the overhaul. The 'Modern' les paul is separate from the Standard etc.

You might be right about a Standard model in the past that had weight relief. I think the HP Standard did. But this year's Standard does not. That's why they generally weigh about 10 lbs :). The Classic, on the other hand, usually runs about 9 lbs.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USA1R6524/Les-Paul-Standard-60s/Iced-Tea

As you say, the Classic and Standard are only two of many Les Paul models. There is the Modern, Tribute, Studio, Junior, DC, etc. And that's not even counting the custom and artist models!

Back
Top Bottom