NGD imminent. Again....

Some 40 years ago when I didn’t know anything I accidentally wired a set of pups out of phase. Ever since then I loved that sound. Your guitar sounds great and cool mod. Lots of tonal choices. I’m pretty educated on PRSi. I remember when that model was introduced. That guitar is a keeper.👍

P90s are awesome. Particularly the "staple" P90 with the AlNiCo slug magnets, which sits somewhere between a P90 and a Fender single coil, tonally.

That guitar is way out of my price range lol. Sure is pretty though! I have yet to try a staple P90. I am a certified P90 addict so I’ll get around to a staple sooner or later. I take it that these are preferred for the neck spot. I looked at the Lollar Staple P90 just now and they had a pic of a guitar with a screw top bridge and staple neck just like that Gibson. Looked like a Yamaha Revstar.

That guitar is way out of my price range lol. Sure is pretty though! I have yet to try a staple P90. I am a certified P90 addict so I’ll get around to a staple sooner or later. I take it that these are preferred for the neck spot. I looked at the Lollar Staple P90 just now and they had a pic of a guitar with a screw top bridge and staple neck just like that Gibson. Looked like a Yamaha Revstar.
Yeah, makes a great neck pickup - fatter than Fender, but still clear and with crisp highs. The 580 Kinman is their hum-free take on it, and sounds great in my SG Special. Fralin makes a couple similar AlNiCo pole hum-free pickups for neck and bridge spots. Haven't tried the Lollar ones, but I'm sure they are great also....

Some 40 years ago when I didn’t know anything I accidentally wired a set of pups out of phase. Ever since then I loved that sound. Your guitar sounds great and cool mod. Lots of tonal choices. I’m pretty educated on PRSi. I remember when that model was introduced. That guitar is a keeper.👍

Yeah, OOP can sound really cool as a character tone or as your main tone. Really happy with this guitar a few months in....

I was thinking about putting a kidney up for sale though, it seems reasonable when you are looking at that Black beauty... I almost pulled the trigger on a G&L tele with 2 P90s, now I am glad I waited, based on what Joe is saying about the differences in pickup tonality. I am thinking a Revstar w/ P90s and changing out the pickups, doing some upgrades. I want to find out what exactly is the difference with the regular Revstars and the "Pro". For $2k, knowing Yamaha, the Pros are really solid and a great value. They are MIJ instead of Indonesia, is all the info I could find really quickly doing a scan of the Yamaha website.

Sell a kidney! Haha that’s funny!

I like the look of those Revstars. In my town there is little chance of finding one to try out in person. I wonder what the necks are like on those? One review I read on Reverb described a full C neck that filled the hands nicely.

Yeah, makes a great neck pickup - fatter than Fender, but still clear and with crisp highs. The 580 Kinman is their hum-free take on it, and sounds great in my SG Special. Fralin makes a couple similar AlNiCo pole hum-free pickups for neck and bridge spots. Haven't tried the Lollar ones, but I'm sure they are great also....

I’m looking at Lollars because they are well regarded and a little cheaper than the other boutique builders. They say their staple is hotter than the regular P90’s. I might try one anyhow. The guitar in question has separate volumes so not a big deal if it’s stronger than the bridge.

So do you recommend Fralins or Kinman 580s or ? The axe I'm getting is wired for the OOP sound, if not it will be 🙂. I think the Kinmans have the alnicos you are describing... they are a tad $$$ but doable.
580 neck and P90 bridge (regular or "Nasty Bright") if Kinmans, or AlNiCo Hum-Free P90 neck and regular Hum-Free P90 bridge if Fralin, if you want some '54 LP Custom vibe. The mismatch is part of the vibe....

Back
Top Bottom