NGD: Ibanez Q52 and the curse of the plastic nut

DoctorJones

Recently picked this bad boy up from Sweetwater. This thing looks as good in person as it does in the gallery photos!

211P02I230907525-front-xlarge.jpg 211P02I230907525-angle-xlarge.jpg

I can't believe how much I enjoy this guitar. It's under 5lbs and acoustically it resonates so loudly it feels alive! The pickups are fairly neutral feeling and medium output. My main gripe on this guitar was that it came with a plastic nut. This guitar was pinching in the nut on the G and B strings so I ordered up a graphtech to drop in (black tusq XL 6642-00). When I popped the nut off the guitar, this is what I found:

PXL_20240501_235902375.jpg

Not only is the nut cheapo plastic, it's HOLLOW!!! Why on earth would Ibanez go out of their way to do this? Aftermarket, top of the line replacement cost me $12 as a consumer. The difference with the graphtech nut installed is NIGHT AND DAY. Tuning is more stable and open strings are acoustically even louder than before. Installation was very easy. I did have to take a considerable amount of material off the bottom, but that's expected. I wanted to make this post just to convince anyone who has been on the fence about whether they should replace their nut or not to GET IN THERE AND GET IT DONE!

Man, that might explain part of my issue with that guitar. I really liked it a lot: light and so resonant, but there was something about the intonation and stability. That being said, I'm trying to move to all carbon fiber guitars anyway. Still, nice to know about this relatively quick and easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom