NGD! Gold Top splendor!

Sixstring

Legend!
She finely showed up! I missed the UPS guy yesterday so I had to wait another day but it was well worth it. I'm stoked at how well it plays and most of all how it sounds! I will be honest after my first go round with trying to find a Les Paul I was a little nervous.

This guitar does not disappoint, I love the feel of the 60's slim taper neck the action is perfect frets are flawless I could not have asked for anything better! It is heavy but it doesn't bother me that much @ 10 Lbs 3 oz it is the heaviest guitar I have owned, only about a 11/2 lb or so heavier than my Carvin CT624 so it's tolerable and the tone from this guitar makes it worth it.

The bridge pup sounds good! The neck pickup is a little dark and wolly in the lower notes so I might change that up not sure just yet. But overall it is 9.5 out of 10 on fit and finish. I have found only two small finnish flaws on the back, one in the finish itself and a ding about 1/8" big. Other than that it looks and smells new!

I need to ask the guy where it originally came from his listing said that it has been professionally setup and plecked! Might be a Sweetwater deal but not sure. I asked him how long he had owned it said he'd had for about 6 months and bought from a buddy that was going through a rough patch and hadn't played it that much. By the looks of it that seems to be the case.

IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.jpgIMG_1530.jpg

Last edited:
Hey congrats on the guitar! for th neck pickup try disconnecting the neck tone control, its about 1 minute job and 1 wire, this will greatly reduce that murky LP neck thing!

She finely showed up! I missed the UPS guy yesterday so I had to wait another day but it was well worth it. I'm stoked at how well it plays and most of all how it sounds! I will be honest after my first go round with trying to find a Les Paul I was a little nervous.

This guitar does not disappoint, I love the feel of the 60's slim taper neck the action is perfect frets are flawless I could not have asked for anything better!

Awesome! Happy NGD!!

It is heavy but it doesn't bother me that much @ 10 Lbs 3 oz it is the heaviest guitar I have owned, only about a 11/2 lb or so heavier than my Carvin CT624 so it's tolerable and the tone from this guitar makes it worth it.

That makes my shouder hurt in sympathy just reading it! :D

The bridge pup is sounds good! The neck pickup is a little dark and wolly in the lower notes so I might change that up not sure just yet. But overall it is 9.5 out of 10 on fit and finish. I have found only two small finnish flaws on the back, one in the finish itself and a ding about 1/8" big. Other than that it looks and smells new!

Before you spend a bunch of $$$$, you may want to get out a couple screwdrivers (Phillips and straight) of the appropriate size, and see if you can squeak some wool/woof reduction out of the stock pickups.

O'Reilly Auto Parts usually has this nice little set on the little display near the cash registers, and they're AWESOME for doing guitar adjustments:
20230921_235725.jpg

If you lower the whole pickup about 5 half-turns, then raise the pole pieces about 4 half-turns, you'll quickly be able to hear a difference in the wool/woof factor. Doing this will throw off the balance of the volume of the two coils, giving the screws coil a bit of an advantage, and making just a little bit of a step toward a single-coil tone while retaining full hum cancelling.

You may also want to raise the D and skinny E up a half turn from there, and lower the fat E and G down a half turn from there, to get better string balance. It seems like tiny adjustments, but what you're really adjusting is the gap between string and pole piece, and small changes are a pretty big percentage of the distance.... :)

Last edited:
Enjoy!

Dont mess with any neck pickup wiring, just drop it way down. I find the stock height for that position is always wooly. One minute with a screwdriver and you’re set.

Awesome! Happy NGD!!

That makes my shouder hurt in sympathy just reading it! :D

Before you spend a bunch of $$$$, you may want to get out a couple screwdrivers (Phillips and straight) of the appropriate size, and see if you can squeak some wool/woof reduction out of the stock pickups.

O'Reilly Auto Parts usually has this nice little set on the little display near the cash registers, and they're AWESOME for doing guitar adjustments:
20230921_235725.jpg

If you lower the whole pickup about 5 half-turns, then raise the pole pieces about 4 half-turns, you'll quickly be able to hear a difference in the wool/woof factor. Doing this will throw off the balance of the volume of the two coils, giving the screws coil a bit of an advantage, and making just a little bit of a step toward a single-coil tone while retaining full hum cancelling.

You may also want to raise the D and skinny E up a half turn from there, and lower the fat E and G down a half turn from there, to get better string balance. It seems like tiny adjustments, but what you're really adjusting is the gap between string and pole piece, and small changes are a pretty big percentage of the distance.... :)
Thanks! I use a pretty wide strap I found that to work the best at being able to carry the weight but yeah after an hour or so it starts to not feel very good.

Ha! I actually have a set of drivers that I bought years ago, you know the ones that come in a case that you unzip and open up like a book. I use those mainly for working on my guitars. I already have a ton of those bit holder deals with all the bits in them in my main box.

I watched that how to setup your Les Paul that was posted the other day with Joe Walsh showing how he set up the pups. I was going to go there first! And if that didn't work out I would look to other ideas. ;)

This guitar does not disappoint, I love the feel of the 60's slim taper neck the action is perfect frets are flawless I could not have asked for anything better! It is heavy but it doesn't bother me that much @ 10 Lbs 3 oz it is the heaviest guitar I have owned, only about a 11/2 lb or so heavier than my Carvin CT624 so it's tolerable and the tone from this guitar makes it worth it.

The bridge pup sounds good! The neck pickup is a little dark and wolly in the lower notes so I might change that up not sure just yet. But overall it is 9.5 out of 10 on fit and finish. I have found only two small finnish flaws on the back, one in the finish itself and a ding about 1/8" big. Other than that it looks and smells new!

I need to ask the guy where it originally came from his listing said that it has been professionally setup and plecked! Might be a Sweetwater deal but not sure. I asked him how long he had owned it said he'd had for about 6 months and bought from a buddy that was going through a rough patch and hadn't played it that much. By the looks of it that seems to be the case.

View attachment 127003
View attachment 127005View attachment 127004View attachment 127006
gorgeous! congratulations - love goldtops!

I've read this advice a million times, but Joe, you've got a way of explaining it that makes it crystal clear for me. When I have some time to fiddle with pole heights, I'll try this with the neck on my LP, which the bridge pup absolutely smokes the pants off of.

I've read this advice a million times, but Joe, you've got a way of explaining it that makes it crystal clear for me. When I have some time to fiddle with pole heights, I'll try this with the neck on my LP, which the bridge pup absolutely smokes the pants off of.
You may just be like many others and prefer bridge tone in 95% of use cases. When i was learning I thought solos had to be on the neck pickup!

You may just be like many others and prefer bridge tone in 95% of use cases. When i was learning I thought solos had to be on the neck pickup!
Oh I absolutely do. I am a bridge person almost entirely. But I like a good neck clean sound, and I like the neck once I get above, say, the 15th fret.

Oh I absolutely do. I am a bridge person almost entirely. But I like a good neck clean sound, and I like the neck once I get above, say, the 15th fret.
I was also “neck for clean” until I joined a band where bridge was everything and we simply dialled in clean tones that way (jcm800s). Now Im neck pickup here and there haha.

I was also “neck for clean” until I joined a band where bridge was everything and we simply dialled in clean tones that way (jcm800s). Now Im neck pickup here and there haha.
Fair! I think it depends on the guitar. On my Ultra Luxe, I’m on the neck all the time. It sounds absolutely amazing.

Back
Top Bottom