NGD- Gilmour CAR Strat

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
Technically, it got here Wednesday but it took me a few days to put it together-

F56DE60C-4A7B-48A8-8F64-C65E3BF7978F.jpeg

If you‘ve seen my posts before, it’s no surprise I’m a massive Gilmour fanatic. Seeing Floyd when I was 11 changed my life, made me want to play guitar immediately and I was enamored with his CAR Strat. I got an MIM CAR Strat when I was 13, but I had my eyes dead set on a ‘57 AVRI. Other guitars became a priority as life went on and when I finally had everything else I needed, it came time for bucket list guitars. I went with MJT/Musikraft with this for several reason- I can’t stand a 7.25” radius and that’s what you get with an AVRI, the prices of AVRI’s are crossing the $2K mark and Gilmour’s actual CAR Strat was one of the early Fullerton AVRI’s with a different neck shape and body contour, so screw it. I went with a 12” radius, SS frets, Callaham V/N trem, Tusq self-lubricating nut and the Gilmour EMG’s (obviously).

It took all of 20 minutes to set this thing up once I had the strings on it and it plays GREAT! Had a couple days of neck/fret finishing to do; they sprayed the nitro over the frets and only removed it from the tops of them, so the first night was 3 hours with fret erasers getting it off. The next night was using cutting polish to hand buff the neck from a satin finish into the glassy finish-

60254B37-A1B4-488D-97A0-40771B9ACD1C.jpeg02F12523-8B24-4C3E-AFF3-3DD7FB9FE485.jpegDECAF327-D971-4809-A69B-7DF9B176AC32.jpegD06CACB0-662D-4F64-BE68-80267F49C127.jpeg

This thing is as loud or louder than my PRS semi-hollow playing unplugged and I really can’t get over how well it’s playing for just getting it put together.

I’ve been waiting for this day for 28 years!

Oh yeah, look at the checking MJT did on the finish!

95F98F33-A4E7-4C60-8C41-8E9B7B3D3EC0.jpeg

0623EEB0-F9EE-4E05-9ED7-BCFFA36DBA3A.jpeg

Man, I get all the feels just looking at that. Some of my favorite Gilmour tones were from his CAR Strat. Looks awesome!

Looks fantastic. Was just eyeballing a '60s Strat kit from Wilkinson on StewMac's website earlier today and thinking it'd be fun to build one, maybe with a Tele bridge pickup instead of the usual suspect....

Looks fantastic. Was just eyeballing a '60s Strat kit from Wilkinson on StewMac's website earlier today and thinking it'd be fun to build one, maybe with a Tele bridge pickup instead of the usual suspect....

Dude, I had a blast doing this. I had a shit day Thursday at work and just buffing the neck out was seriously therapeutic. This was the first time I built a guitar from parts and I wish it took longer! It was seriously like 20 minutes from the time I put the strings on until I was ready to intonate it, took minutes to get the trem floating and stable/adjust the action to match the radius.

Now I’m nerding out on Gilmour tones with the FM9…..I want to crank the hell out of my rig but…apartment life.

The very first thing I played when I plugged it in for the first time-

I’m plugged into two 2x12’s and with them spaced far apart…..man, I can’t wait to bring this to band practice and hear this at gig volume. I can’t crank up loud enough in my apartment to get feedback and I’m too lazy to drag my Freqout in here. I seriously feel like I’m 11 right now.

The very first thing I played when I plugged it in for the first time-

I’m plugged into two 2x12’s and with them spaced far apart…..man, I can’t wait to bring this to band practice and hear this at gig volume. I can’t crank up loud enough in my apartment to get feedback and I’m too lazy to drag my Freqout in here. I seriously feel like I’m 11 right now.

I can hear the wall-o-sound!! Let the band volume wars begin!!

I can hear the wall-o-sound!! Let the band volume wars begin!!

This is definitely going to be the main guitar for the cover band. Going through my gigging presets it just sounds so much fuller than the PRS, there’s so much meat in the bottom end with this thing. I thought I was in love with the PRS in split-coil mode but that’s going to be the backup guitar from now on!

Dude, I had a blast doing this. I had a shit day Thursday at work and just buffing the neck out was seriously therapeutic. This was the first time I built a guitar from parts and I wish it took longer! It was seriously like 20 minutes from the time I put the strings on until I was ready to intonate it, took minutes to get the trem floating and stable/adjust the action to match the radius.

Now I’m nerding out on Gilmour tones with the FM9…..I want to crank the hell out of my rig but…apartment life.
Spent today poking around inside a couple of my instruments.

Replaced the neck-with-bass-cut position on my Gecko Thinline with series-neck-and-bridge. Adjusted the neck pickup about 1.5 screw turns lower. Perfection.

Finally got around to cutting the hole for adding a second pickup in my OLP Stingray-shaped bass. The original pickup has been in the drawer for at least 5 years, if not longer, and the new, black pickguard was in an envelope dated 04 April 2017. Had to mark the new pickup location and cut it. Came out decent. Rewired it as volume/blender/tone. Three good sounds. Not sure if the two pickups are in phase or out, but like the blended sound. Might swap in a pull switch tone pot at some future date if I find they are, in fact, OOP, so I can have both sounds.

IMG_20220328_000713.jpg

If you guys enjoy tinkering, you ought to try a DIY pedal kit. That’s another rabbit hole I’ve been sucked into.

Back
Top Bottom