NGD (first Suhr)

Sorenspete

Inspired
EDIT: ok I'm just going through this to amend a few things since it might come off the wrong way.

This just came in yesterday and I have a pretty interesting take on it...

This is my first Suhr. Prior to this guitar, I have owned ESP's, Caparisons, Fenders, as well as 3 Japanese Ibanez RG's. If you want the blunt version of my take, these things are not worth the money people are asking for them on the market but that's because they're limited edition. And in my case it's hard to justify a purchase like this when you get stung 30,000 JPY for shipping and 800 NZD for import GST. Right now some versions of this guitar - the Suhr Standard Legacy - are going for over 700,000 Japanese Yen. I got mine for 400,000 excl. shipping and handling. I think it was displayed in a shop for a little bit and then rotated out and put back in its case until I bought it because it was pretty grubby, but ultimately in good condition. The only perceivable blemish is a knick on the headstock, so depending on how you look at it, it was a steal.

So why don't I think that this guitar is worth the retail or street price (which I believe is a lot higher)? Well, it's simply that, when compared to my ESP or my Caparison, this guitar isn't $2800 NZD better than them - plain and simple. My Caparison Dellinger is by far one of the most solid instruments I have ever owned. It never goes out of tune and the EMG SLV + SLV + 85 set that I have in there work so well. There is something about the fit and finish that is just so incredible. There is something about the Suhr, however, that doesn't wow me like the Caparison does.

On the other hand, the Suhr does play well with the exception of one little bugbear, and tonally does exactly what I want it to. My Caparison doesn't have the Knopfler mod, so position 2 isn't really anything to write home about. And just to be fair on the Caparison, the SLV pickups aren't as 'stratty' as the SA's which for sure I prefer, but the SLV's have an excellent 'high-fidelity' quality to them.

One thing that I think was an odd, unnecessary, and frankly poorly executed touch, was the felt lining on the Floyd Rose recess on the top of the body. Very strange choice when just a natural wood finish look would have worked a lot better, and the felt is cut poorly so it's a bit unsightly (I'll provide a picture of this when I get home from work). I don't know what they were trying to achieve here other than mildly protecting the cavity from the Floyd when under spring tension alone. If anyone can shine some light on this I'd gladly eat my words.

I think the fact that the guitar wasn't brand new contributed to my experience with it. Most of the hardware (in fact, probably all) was covered in oxidised sweat from some grubby person molesting it and no one wiped it down.

The Original Floyd Rose isn't German - it's a Ping (Korean) made 1500 series unit. I will say, the inclusion of both the more common OFR trem arm assembly as well as the pop-in assembly with the rubber insert is nice. I prefer the latter but you can imagine why it isn't more prolific as the rubber will deteriorate and require replacement. I'm tempted to replace this bridge with a German-made unit with the hope that I can transplant the rubber insert style trem assembly over, but I digress.

My biggest bugbear with this guitar is that the Indian rosewood fingerboard isn't smooth like Brazilian rosewood is. It may just need a good treatment of lemon oil, but there's some noticeable friction when you play vibrato notes. I hope I can break the guitar (and fingerboard) in with time.

Going back to build quality, my Fender American Professional II strat was around the same quality as the Suhr and cost less than half the price. I think what I'm sayin is, speaking strictly in terms of build quality, nothing stands out which could justify the price. What does justify the price is specs and wood selection, as the African Okoume body and flamey-quilt maple top look absolutely incredible. I would have preferred a nice, dark Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, but the Indian rosewood looks good.

Anyway, it's early days and I dare say my opinion might continue to improve in the coming weeks. It sounds awesome for Mark Knopfler style tones and it's a very satisfying guitar to play and hear.

PS. Hope I haven't offended the Suhr defense force :coldsweat:

ajxjvn7wdifd1.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe it's import cost?

I've been surprised to see many of these below $3000 US on Reverb for quite a while.

Here is a current list:

7387BB39-88DD-474D-AC0C-CFEBDAB34349.jpeg

Edit:

And brand spankin' new for $3500...

Maybe it's import cost?

I've been surprised to see many of these below $3000 US on Reverb for quite a while.

Here is a current list:

View attachment 143373

Edit:

And brand spankin' new for $3500...
Some of those may have been listed recently because a lot of the ones I saw on Reverb shortly before I bought mine were going for the RRP - maybe I'm wrong. If I had seen that Caramel Burst Floyd I would have bought it for sure, but such is life. I definitely paid a lot for S&H and import GST.

It’s very nice looking. How do you like the pickups?
They're fantastic. As far as appearances and specifications go, this is my dream guitar, so it gets the tones I want for sure. Hopefully once I'm used to it I can safely say I'll be buried with it!

Man, that's a bummer when a new guitar doesn't live up to the hope you had for it. Suhr guitars are generally quite consistently well made but there are still less than perfect examples that make it off of the line.

It was a surprising choice that Suhr used an import model of the Floyd for the legacy series guitars. In the past they've only offered the OFR and the excellent Gotoh 1996t on their builds. Some of their recent decisions regarding hardware seem to be more oriented to reducing cost rather than producing the best instruments. I hope that doesn't point to a larger trend

Play the guitar enough and the board darkens up fwiw. Not all braz is dark, but braz with 60 years of play time usually is ;)

If you want dark, get cocobolo, blackwood or richlite.

Gonna sell it then?

The import Floyd may be all that were available when these were built. If I remember right, these came out during the covid supply chain problems.

Dream guitars are like Dream women, they never fully meet your expectations. On a serious note I spend years craving for a Veleno all aluminum guitar after seeing Mark Farner play his. When I watched a demo/review of one I realized I would have hated it if I ever got one.

Dream guitars are like Dream women, they never fully meet your expectations. On a serious note I spend years craving for a Veleno all aluminum guitar after seeing Mark Farner play his. When I watched a demo/review of one I realized I would have hated it if I ever got one.
Ymmv, my lpc does the trick for me :)

Appreciate the honest review. It's okay not to gush over a new acquisition. Helpful info for others and you balanced that with the good as well. I agree on the price point these days for some guitars. Overall, costs are way up and for some of these guitar makers I do feel the price isn't really justified other than well...the name you're getting. There are many other amazing guitars that are considerably less and easily in the same league for build quality. Still...that's a nice looking guitar! I saw one locally here sometime this past year and I remember being a bit tempted to check it out

Man, that's a bummer when a new guitar doesn't live up to the hope you had for it. Suhr guitars are generally quite consistently well made but there are still less than perfect examples that make it off of the line.

It was a surprising choice that Suhr used an import model of the Floyd for the legacy series guitars. In the past they've only offered the OFR and the excellent Gotoh 1996t on their builds. Some of their recent decisions regarding hardware seem to be more oriented to reducing cost rather than producing the best instruments. I hope that doesn't point to a larger trend
I played a bunch of guitar last night and I do like it. I do want people to understand that this is still my dream guitar in terms of appearance and specs, so it does do a lot for me in both regards. I think the guitar is only bad value for money for me as someone in New Zealand - were I living in California it would be an awesome purchase.

Play the guitar enough and the board darkens up fwiw. Not all braz is dark, but braz with 60 years of play time usually is ;)

If you want dark, get cocobolo, blackwood or richlite.

Gonna sell it then?
No way, it's definitely growing on me, and like I said to Zed - it's still my dream guitar as it's kind of the perfect combination of a Knopfler-style Suhr and Steve Lukather's Valley Arts guitars from '85.

Appreciate the honest review. It's okay not to gush over a new acquisition. Helpful info for others and you balanced that with the good as well. I agree on the price point these days for some guitars. Overall, costs are way up and for some of these guitar makers I do feel the price isn't really justified other than well...the name you're getting. There are many other amazing guitars that are considerably less and easily in the same league for build quality. Still...that's a nice looking guitar! I saw one locally here sometime this past year and I remember being a bit tempted to check it out
It's just how I felt at the time. I am overall happy with the guitar, I just think living in NZ makes it harder to be happy with it after you've paid through the nose for shipping and import GST.

You're right. If you ask me, I think certain Japanese-made guitars are the best value for money right now. I think if you grabbed a Japanese Fender Strat and a Suhr Classic you'd be hard pressed to see how the Suhr is 3x better. Then for higher-end Suhr money you look at Kiso factory ESP's (Original Series) and they are probably the most well-made guitars on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom