NGD - Fender Custom Shop Content

Ben Randolph

Power User
All,

This has been a purchase years in the making. For years I've had the idea of a top-quality Strat that has vintage tonality, but with modern playing enhancements, all with the best woods, electronics and materials all around. I researched guitars, including the usual top-end suspects like Suhr, Anderson, FCS and even the Eric Johnson Signature Strat.

Around five years ago I was ready to make the purchase to celebrate a certain awesome life event, but decided at the last minute that I would really benefit from a good Gibson guitar, and bought my 2006 Gibson Custom Shop SG Standard (a decision I have not regretted at all!).

Having 2 other Strats, a '57 American Vintage RI and the Bencaster (a mutt of a Strat lovingly pieced together by myself over the years), I decided that it would be foolish to get yet another Strat. So, while I'd occasionally look wistfully at Strats online or on the rack, I could never justify the purchase.

I told myself I didn't want a relic, as my Gibson already has light relicing (equivalent to a Fender Closet Classic) and one of my Strats has a Road Worn body.

Back in November, a nice Custom Shop Strat caught my eye on the Sweetwater site. Knowing that I only live once, I took the plunge. It was not in stock at the time, but Sweetwater estimated they could get it around mid-January. I told them no problem and set to waiting. Well, in January, I was informed that the CS gave them a revised date of March. March rolls around and the CS pushes that date back to June.

Well....darn!

I talked with my Sweetwater rep and decided to cancel the CS and apply the purchase price to another guitar in stock. I knew I wanted Olympic White and a rosewood fingerboard. The closest guitar they had in stock was a 1963 Time Machine Relic.

"Well...." I think to myself "....maybe I should give the relic a try. Pickings from the Fender CS these days for non-relics is rather slim, and that thin nitro coat and worn in feel might be just what I like. I can return it if I don't like it."

Sweetwater knocking 10% off the price sealed the deal. She arrived Saturday before last, and I haven't been able to put her down. The guitar feels fantastic and is very nicely balanced tonally. The neck plays like a dream. It was even setup perfectly out of the box. I couldn't be happier!

It has all the mojo of a vintage Strat, but with a 9.5 radius and big frets.

R84673-front-large

R84673-detail2-large

R84673-detail1-large

R84673-body-large

R84673-backbody-large

R84673-back-large

R84673-angle-large

Bought a Jeff Beck model - not CS.
Really wide neck (a lot of people are turned off by it) but I have large fingers so it works for me.
Absolutely love it.
Olympic White is stunning.

Bought a Jeff Beck model - not CS.
Really wide neck (a lot of people are turned off by it) but I have large fingers so it works for me.
Absolutely love it.
Olympic White is stunning.

I really like the Jeff Beck strat. It's available in two of my favorite colors, Oly White (of course) and Surf Green. My other strat is 57 American Vintage in Surf Green, so I like me some 50s colors. I think the Artist series Strats are some of the best deals you can get in the Fender line.

Back
Top Bottom