NGD!! - EVH

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Unbeknownst to me I started the day that would lead to an unexpected purchase. Had the afternoon off so went down to this guitar shop I haven't been to in awhile and they had a brand new EVH Frankie still in the box. I've seen these around and have tried 2 or 3 at various (chain stores) and was left a bit underwhelmed...mainly due to the setup and or fret work. This one.....my oh my. excellent. The neck is awesome and no fret sprout at all...setup near perfect out of the box...just needed a tuning. Went into the amp room and plugged into a PRS MT-15 head and Soldano 1x12 cab. Hooooly sh$*%t balls~. Is this nirvana? side note: that MT-15 caught me by surprise. It is absolute killer. back to the EVH, it's just so damn fun to play and man does it sound killer. I went through a slew of VH riffs and i think i felt Eddie's hand reach down from heaven, pat me on the back, and said f**CK it buddy. You only live once. Ever since these came out i really wanted one but like I said, I never bonded with any of the ones I put in my hands as much as I wanted it to happen. This one is magic. Me wise magic? so this is love?

Attachments

• EVH.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • EVH1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • EVH2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • EVH3.jpg
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 48
Unbeknownst to me I started the day that would lead to an unexpected purchase. Had the afternoon off so went down to this guitar shop I haven't been to in awhile and they had a brand new EVH Frankie still in the box. I've seen these around and have tried 2 or 3 at various (chain stores) and was left a bit underwhelmed...mainly due to the setup and or fret work. This one.....my oh my. excellent. The neck is awesome and no fret sprout at all...setup near perfect out of the box...just needed a tuning. Went into the amp room and plugged into a PRS MT-15 head and Soldano 1x12 cab. Hooooly sh$*%t balls~. Is this nirvana? side note: that MT-15 caught me by surprise. It is absolute killer. back to the EVH, it's just so damn fun to play and man does it sound killer. I went through a slew of VH riffs and i think i felt Eddie's hand reach down from heaven, pat me on the back, and said f**CK it buddy. You only live once. Ever since these came out i really wanted one but like I said, I never bonded with any of the ones I put in my hands as much as I wanted it to happen. This one is magic. Me wise magic? so this is love?
Congratulations 🎈🍾🎉🎊 Looks Amazing!!!

Love my Frankie, ended up putting in a new neck pickup and a kill switch.

I also just picked up a new EVH Frankie Relic in Vintage Sunburst a few days ago, and am going to put in a new neck pickup and ordered a new pickguard for it. Kinda view it as a platform like the Charvel Henrik Danhage.

Really liking the Wolfgang pickup as well, I might try swapping out a JB on one of my other guitars with a Wolfgang.

Congrats!

I went to my closest l&m during nap/movie time yesterday and learned I shouldnt get a second tele, I dont like the neck on the new walnut dc junior :( (i was hoping to love it, come back with my trade and ngd) and keeping an eye out for 339s again.

Congrats!

I went to my closest l&m during nap/movie time yesterday and learned I shouldnt get a second tele, I dont like the neck on the new walnut dc junior :( (i was hoping to love it, come back with my trade and ngd) and keeping an eye out for 339s again.
I need a tele now too. I traded my anderson tele towards the GG Charvel. I miss it . I ended up trading in two guitars towards this Frankie. Been trying to offload local classifieds with no luck for last 2 months so when I tried out the EVH yesterday i was like hey, interested in a trade? They took in my Charvel DK24 and my PRS SE Holcomb 6 that I haven't been playing.

Love my Frankie, ended up putting in a new neck pickup and a kill switch.

I also just picked up a new EVH Frankie Relic in Vintage Sunburst a few days ago, and am going to put in a new neck pickup and ordered a new pickguard for it. Kinda view it as a platform like the Charvel Henrik Danhage.

Really liking the Wolfgang pickup as well, I might try swapping out a JB on one of my other guitars with a Wolfgang.
I am definitely going to put in a kill switch. Just started researching this morning. This one here looks like it'd work...or maybe i should get an LED kill switch! who knows
https://www.allparts.com/en-ca/prod...WqriVIyC_B2lqO0wVTYFdd_ID7XsPANVujSSARLy2msYJ

Other mod I think i'd do is put a sustaniac in the neck like Joe Satriani did.
evhmod.jpg

Last edited:
BTW- the neck pickup works and sounds nice! You just have to wire it in and install a push/pull pot.
did you use a push/push or push/pull. doing some research today...would like to retain a low friction bourns ideally. Not sure if they make one like that. I see FU-tone makes a push push intended for the Frankie.

did you use a push/push or push/pull. doing some research today...would like to retain a low friction bourns ideally. Not sure if they make one like that. I see FU-tone makes a push push intended for the Frankie.
I used the one that you push and it pops up on its own, rather than a push/pull like Gibson uses. It’s much easier to work with. I think the FU-Tone one would be perfect.

FU just rebrand it . Just buy it directly for half.
Better still just buy the CTS push pull as it’s the only decent one.
yeah what i figured...the rebranding. Do you happen to know if CTS have low friction push/pull. Push push is handy but not a deal breaker for me. I also just found this kill switch that is apparently used on the wolfgangs. Debating though if i want LED power...could be neat
https://tesiswitch.com/shop/ols/pro...ush-button-kill-switch-with-led/v/NELLI-II-RD

Cts don’t make a push push and the ones out there are junk. That is the one Ed used but it is no where near as good as a 24mm Sanwa arcade button ( like Buckethead uses.)

Back
Top Bottom