NGD: EVH Wolfgang Special

Diego

Fractal Fanatic
NGD: EVH Wolfgang Special QM Backed Maple Fingerboard Chlorine Burst.
Well, when I saw my friend @austinbuddy with his EVH, I got convicted that I need one and since blue it’s my color of choice for guitars I can not let this one pass me by 😉.
Not a bad guitar for this range of price. Love the D-tuna but I have to set it up (not a perfect D at the moment). The pickups screams!!!
Satisfied at the moment but this is the last one with a Floyd. Next one will be a PRS McCarty 594 (semihollow).
FC4F65B4-9BA7-414D-AA1B-3A1E64D00787.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, when I saw my friend @austinbuddy with his EVH, I got convicted that I need one and since blue it’s my color of choice for guitars I can not let this one pass me by 😉.
Not a bad guitar for this range of price. Love the D-tuna but I have to set it up (not a perfect D at the moment). The pickups screams!!!
Satisfied at the moment but this is the last one with a Floyd. Next one will be a PRS McCarty 594 (semihollow).
View attachment 109286
Awesome! I love the sound of mine, which is a standard not a special.

But I am fighting the Floyd Rose on it to keep it in tune, haven’t had to fool with one of those for years. Will get there. Me and the boys let loose in my studio on Van Halen yesterday and that guitar really nails it. The Red Sound MF10 combined with my CLR sounded killer!!!

Enjoy it!

Thanks again for the GAS! Yes sounds great and (for now) it stays in tune but I'm used to my Jems (and this tremolo stays flat on the body so it's easier to set). Great action right out of the box and low tension on the strings.

View attachment 109286
Gorgeous blue....

Yep, that's a real nice finish on a great guitar @Diego .
I love Wolfgangs and it's still my most played guitar. For me it's the incredibly comfortable neck coupled with the sound of those humbuckers. The Specials are great value - I've had two. So having enjoyed them quite so much I decided I must have a USA. Unfortunately that's been a bit of a mixed experience - they sound maybe even better and the necks feel double good (though they are probably exactly the same!) but the build has been a major disappointment that I am currently trying to resolve with Fender. A few finish defects on a £3000 guitar is pretty poor but the fret work on the first one I acquired (yes, I even bought 2!) in Stealth finish is abysmal. Seeing how these are apparently made in Fenders Custom Shop I have yet to figure out how a guitar ships in the condition it came to me. All frets double over cut and some tangs are actually bent! How is that even possible with SS frets?! The Silver one (lovely colour - see attached) I also own is much better (bar a couple of finish issues that don't affect how it plays) but the first one I bought is nothing short of a shocking mess. However Fender are now looking at this (they have it right now) and hopefully this is not usual.
Anyway, aside from my own gripes with the USA builds, the point I am making here is that the Mexican ones are where it is at, and for the money you get a truly unique and great guitar. I've quite a few alternatives to choose from here (haven't we all :D !) but after3 years this remains my go to guitar. Thanks EVH.

Oh, and apparently the MIJs are great if you can find a good second hand one.

Attachments

• EVH.jpg
    EVH.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience @sb-SG. I’ve never thought to buy a US one since I was quite sure that the attention to detail wouldn’t be better than this Mexican one. Unfortunately I’ve never had a great deal with Fender and never found a Strat that suits my need and fingers. I had to end with a PRS Silversky to have such a form factor. Been at the G&L 3 or 4 years ago during NAMM and I found out that G&L are very nice guitars still built as Leo did.

These are amazing value. The Japan ones are going for too much now but they were the best ones IMO.
You are probably right there @Andy Eagle .
Incidentally I just saw your shout about Aristides guitars in another thread- I am kinda wishing I hadn't cos they look fabulous. Talking about getting a viewing in the UK.

Thanks for sharing your experience @sb-SG. I’ve never thought to buy a US one since I was quite sure that the attention to detail wouldn’t be better than this Mexican one. Unfortunately I’ve never had a great deal with Fender and never found a Strat that suits my need and fingers. I had to end with a PRS Silversky to have such a form factor. Been at the G&L 3 or 4 years ago during NAMM and I found out that G&L are very nice guitars still built as Leo did.
@Diego - Same on the strat front - I gave up too. Just bought a Charvel Pro Mod HSS which works for me much better. I'd have liked to have the original Fender vibe but couldn't find a good fit either.

I love my stealth special, but that blue with the baked fretboard sure is nice. I do have trouble with the D-Tuna though. Even with the bridge firmly against the body, the other strings go out of tune more than I'd like when I drop the low string.

I love my stealth special, but that blue with the baked fretboard sure is nice. I do have trouble with the D-Tuna though. Even with the bridge firmly against the body, the other strings go out of tune more than I'd like when I drop the low string.
It works perfectly if set up properly. You need a set up and to make sure everything is tight and solid.

It works perfectly if set up properly. You need a set up and to make sure everything is tight and solid.
I don't how it could be any more solid. There's a firm "thunk" when I release the whammy bar. It seems like there's just enough give to throw it off by about 5 cents.

No problem with the other strings going out of tune BUT I have to set it up a little better since now I've got something less than a D sharp. Have to watch some videos on how to set it up properly 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

On mine, the Floyd is set up to only go down(good) but I just installed the D Tuna and it is physically hitting the body of the guitar (the D Tuna should NOT touch the body of the guitar). Gotta jerry-rig a solution.

This is how it looks with E position. The bridge is fully flat on the body. I can put a 2mm Gravity Picks below the D-Tuna:
E4CF3D87-18FD-4479-A734-AB7B942E9174.jpeg

Yep, that's a real nice finish on a great guitar @Diego .
I love Wolfgangs and it's still my most played guitar. For me it's the incredibly comfortable neck coupled with the sound of those humbuckers. The Specials are great value - I've had two. So having enjoyed them quite so much I decided I must have a USA. Unfortunately that's been a bit of a mixed experience - they sound maybe even better and the necks feel double good (though they are probably exactly the same!) but the build has been a major disappointment that I am currently trying to resolve with Fender. A few finish defects on a £3000 guitar is pretty poor but the fret work on the first one I acquired (yes, I even bought 2!) in Stealth finish is abysmal. Seeing how these are apparently made in Fenders Custom Shop I have yet to figure out how a guitar ships in the condition it came to me. All frets double over cut and some tangs are actually bent! How is that even possible with SS frets?! The Silver one (lovely colour - see attached) I also own is much better (bar a couple of finish issues that don't affect how it plays) but the first one I bought is nothing short of a shocking mess. However Fender are now looking at this (they have it right now) and hopefully this is not usual.
Anyway, aside from my own gripes with the USA builds, the point I am making here is that the Mexican ones are where it is at, and for the money you get a truly unique and great guitar. I've quite a few alternatives to choose from here (haven't we all :D !) but after3 years this remains my go to guitar. Thanks EVH.

Oh, and apparently the MIJs are great if you can find a good second hand one.
That is crazy that for a custom shop guitar the frets are not done properly. I have a standard and the fretwork is great, yours should be just as good or better. Do you have a picture of the tang being bent? I am curious to see what it looks like. Do you like the vintage stainless steel frets on it? I have heard some people say that they don't like the size of them and prefer the jumbo frets of the special and standard.

Back
Top Bottom