NGD: EBMM Luke III Grapes of Wrath BFR #8 of 85... used, but not a scratch on it!

NGD: EBMM Luke III Grapes of Wrath BFR #8 of 85... used, but not a scratch on it!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this guitar! I'm primarily a PRS dude with a couple Gibsons and one Strat and
a few miscellaneous no names hot rodded to big name killers.

Steve Lukather played his sister GOW HH last Friday when the wife and I went to the 50th Anniversary
Journey Tour with Toto in Columbia, SC. I had a green quilt with the red burst, but just didn't bond with
that color (and I love green guitars). This thing looks great and plays like butter! Loving the boost on the
volume pot! I swear this thing plays almost like an old hair metal guitar but with a lot better parts and sound!
Rarely do you find a vintage style floating tremolo with locking tuners that rivals a Floyd Rose for jumping
back in tune every time! I'm in love!!!
That’s a beaut! Have to say. I just got my first LUKE III flame maple top and has fast become my No.1. Was also surprised to see so many Artist in the Gift of tone series playing EBMMs

Attachments

• 18413CB1-1613-4CBC-9D35-B8031989A59A.jpeg
    18413CB1-1613-4CBC-9D35-B8031989A59A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • A3B48075-DB58-4EA2-B1F1-B2A4F53B084E.jpeg
    A3B48075-DB58-4EA2-B1F1-B2A4F53B084E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
After reading killer things about the Luke III guitars and having never played a EB Music Man before, I’ve been contemplating with selling a couple of my cheaper guitars and buying a newer HSS model, but I really just don’t vibe with any of the finishes. It sucks when a current run of guitars doesn’t carry any finishes you like. Edit: the maple tops have some nice finish options but that would be too much $$ for me haha

Last edited:
After reading killer things about the Luke III guitars and having never played a EB Music Man before, I’ve been contemplating with selling a couple of my cheaper guitars and buying a newer HSS model, but I really just don’t vibe with any of the finishes. It sucks when a current run of guitars doesn’t carry any finishes you like. Edit: the maple tops have some nice finish options but that would be too much $$ for me haha
So maybe wait till after namm. Lotsa new stuff gonna be up for grabs.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this guitar! I'm primarily a PRS dude with a couple Gibsons and one Strat and
a few miscellaneous no names hot rodded to big name killers.

Steve Lukather played his sister GOW HH last Friday when the wife and I went to the 50th Anniversary
Journey Tour with Toto in Columbia, SC. I had a green quilt with the red burst, but just didn't bond with
that color (and I love green guitars). This thing looks great and plays like butter! Loving the boost on the
volume pot! I swear this thing plays almost like an old hair metal guitar but with a lot better parts and sound!
Rarely do you find a vintage style floating tremolo with locking tuners that rivals a Floyd Rose for jumping
back in tune every time! I'm in love!!!
there was one in ohio for sale that my buddy had that looks just like it.

Have there been any rumors about new Luke III models? When is the next namm; summer?
Theres some rumors circulating with recent photos of luke on the recent toto tour having an all SSS luke3 and a few pastel looking colors. Id absolutely love to get a HSS luke one day. The last two years or so I went down such a rabbithole of discovering toto and luke.

Theres some rumors circulating with recent photos of luke on the recent toto tour having an all SSS luke3 and a few pastel looking colors. Id absolutely love to get a HSS luke one day. The last two years or so I went down such a rabbithole of discovering toto and luke.
I just saw him last month with Toto opening for Journey 50th Tour. He played a Grapes of Wrath HH Luke III and a fairly dark brown staing SSS Luke III. He did bring out an old beat up Strat for a song or two.

I just saw him last month with Toto opening for Journey 50th Tour. He played a Grapes of Wrath HH Luke III and a fairly dark brown staing SSS Luke III. He did bring out an old beat up Strat for a song or two.
It seems like hes starting to mellow out. Not dying his hair anymore. Playing strats and SSS guitars more. Im all about seeing the next chapter of what he does after this tour is over

I would only get one of the HSS ones I just wish they had a few more plainish colors. The ocean sparkly and purple sparkles are cool i guess… but you gotta really be into that to get it and I can’t decide if they’re cool because they’re cool or if they’re so ugly that it’s cool 😂

The maple top ones have a couple real
Nice finishes but again a little much $$ for me

Also, what is the Ball Family Reserve model?

I would only get one of the HSS ones I just wish they had a few more plainish colors. The ocean sparkly and purple sparkles are cool i guess… but you gotta really be into that to get it and I can’t decide if they’re cool because they’re cool or if they’re so ugly that it’s cool 😂

The maple top ones have a couple real
Nice finishes but again a little much $$ for me

Also, what is the Ball Family Reserve model?
BFR is just limited run. Usually more exotic woods. Limited finish run.

Update on this axe? You still lovin it? My 2019 Luke 3 HSS should be delivered Friday. Got the one with transitions pickups in it for a good price used. Hoping I love it too!

Just a pointless update.
i played the L3 finally and had my 509 in hand to trade and.....
i didnt love it. Neck was great, frets were low (kinda weird), sounded great. But i found the neck pickup to be real muddy. I purchased a set of transitions and also found that neck to be muddy on anything but hi gain. Keeping the 509 for now.

Just a pointless update.
i didnt love it. Neck was great, frets were low (kinda weird), sounded great. But i found the neck pickup to be real muddy. I purchased a set of transitions and also found that neck to be muddy on anything but hi gain. Keeping the 509 for now.
Were the pickups Music Man or Dimarzios in the LIII you tried? The Dimarzios are darker than the MMs.

Just a pointless update.
I only had the guitar for a day or two before taking it in for a proper setup and stuff. I generally like the guitar overall but hopefully a very good setup will further that. Mine has the transitions pickups and I like them but they’re def their own voice /thing going on. Usually my presets will work for multiple guitars with my latest guitar being a HH with fishman modern Fluence humbuckers. But I think I’m gonna have to do some tweaking with the HSS transitions. I think they have a very strong tone tho with a lot of character. I’ve been told the transitions single coils are sort of modeled after the dimarzio injectors that gilbert used so they’re gonna be a bit hotter than usual

Back
Top Bottom