NGD Duesenberg Lap Steel

Wow, it looks great, congrats! I own a cheap (very cheap) 8 strings lap steels but someday I will pull the trigger for something like yours.

I've wanted to buy one for the longest time, they just seem so much fun to play. Obviously I've never played one, and royally suck at any kind of slide playing on a regular guitar, but still, one day I'll get me one of these.

That's a beautiful one you got there OP!

Looks sweet! Congrats. You should wind it up through a Plexi or something and post a recording…

/necroPost

Just picked up a 2022 Fairytale today and can't wait to run it through my new III Turbo. Mine has the coil tap switches for both bridge/neck, but this is one of the vids that inspired me to look further into lap steel. I've been toying with slide for a couple of years (cheap strats with raised action), so this will be my formal attempt at real lap steel. I haven't been this excited about a new toy in YEARS. Huch is playing through a Kemper in this vid, so I have no doubt I'll be able to get the tones and feel I'm looking for with the 3T.

So cool! I have always wanted to get a lap steel and learn to play. Those look like very nice instruments.

I own a Fairytale for several year now.
It's a very enjoyable lapsteel. And Duesenberg without any doubt a very fine manufacturer.

Nevertheless, some fine day two or three years ago I decided to make a good thing even better and gave it an upgrade.
Installed a Lollar String-through-Steel Pickup in Bridge position.

The existing humbucker's milling grove must be manually carved out a tiny portion further. Should be no problem for anyone.
On my instrument I had to raise the pickup by 0,8 mm, too. Done with a simple stripe of veneer.
That's it.

The result in sound ? IMHO opinion in just one word: overwhelming.
Maybe not a cheap pickup. But worth every cent.

A further great benefit for an already nice instrument.
Fairytale. Of course.

https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-steel-guitar-pickups/string-through-steel

1657988207643.png

Nevertheless, some fine day two or three years ago I decided to make a good thing even better and gave it an upgrade.
Installed a Lollar String-through-Steel Pickup in Bridge position.

I've seen those on a lot of lap steels and was curious what they were. I'll add it to my list of potential upgrades. I've got a few arriving tomorrow (mostly comfort stuff), but I'm not averse to changing out/modifying the guts at some point. I'll run with the stock stuff for a bit and see if I like it, then start looking at other mods if/as needed.

I was originally looking at more affordable brands/models like Rogue, Recording King, Gretsch, etc. I'd seen quite a few vids of the Recording King with Certano benders installed and it was high on my list, but I fell in love with the Fairytale due to vids from Martin Huch, Luke Geotze, Troy Brenningmeyer, and a few others. I'd also been looking at the Lap King Rodeo, which is same price range with way fewer features. I know my proclivity for buying new instruments and learning them, so I decided to go with the Duesy since I know I would have upgraded eventually (and it provides extra motivation to learn the instrument after spending that much $$, LOL).

On the final stages of getting my home studio reassembled after close to 3 years in moth-balls and hope to have some time to play around/record some stuff over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the info/suggestions!

Can you post some soundsample of what the Duesenberg sounds like ? Same for the string through steel PU BTW ?

Man, I haven’t had GAS too bad recently and I’ve never played a lap steel before, but I’m thinking about grabbing one of those cheaper Gretsch’s just to give one a shot thanks to this thread. Just watched a bunch of Luke’s videos and it’s quite inspiring.

I bought a Fairytale last year, identical to OP's. I'm struggling somewhat to play it at what could remotely be considered decent.

A lot of fun sliding around making ethereal 'sounds of the universe' though lol.

Here are several examples from a fairly better Fairytale player than I am: 😉
Luke Cyrus Goetze.

Luke is AWESOME, and one of the deciding factors in my taking up lap steel. His "Country Roads" rendition along with several others are on my nightly playlist for relaxation. Beautiful player.

Back
Top Bottom