NGD - Any Strat Deluxe users? Need advice on upgrading bits

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
I finally found my Strat ..... 1998 Crimson(?) Strat Deluxe with r/w fretboard and apparently 'cream' scratch plate ... owner hadn't taken it out of the case since his last gig 4 years ago. I got it for a steal and even though the strings are 50% rust it just felt good and seemed to sustain.

It's just in the door and in need of a good cleanup so I haven't restrung it or set it up yet - but as the seller hadn't even wiped the sweat off it after his last gig theres a little corrosion on the bridge - so I'm in the market for a new replacement one. Any suggestions?

Then the pickups/electrics. It's fitted with the stock 'noiseless' Fender pickups and straight 5 way electrics of that 98 vintage. I've read that these are a bit iffy and kill some of the 'stratness'. I've been impressed with hearing those Zexcoils - but what would be any other good versatile pup/electrics set up that's noiseless and still sounds strat when needed? What's the more modern Deluxe 'S-1' Fender set up like? etc etc

strat1.jpg

strat2.jpg

(That horrible looking crap round the right post is actually case lining fluff not rust :) )

Wilkinson VS100. Mine is amazing!! I wouldn't change it for anything. Do yourself a favor and get the brass block for it too.

I also switched the saddles out for the graphtech ghost saddles.

I've got Deluxe with the S-1 switch and I like it quite well. Give a few different options, some of which are useful. Mine's got the original noiseless Fender pickups and they're really not bad. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to change anything until you've set it up to your liking and played it for a while. You might be happy just the way it is.

I have a deluxe with Lindy fralin Vintage hots-best strat sound I everhad (30+ years) Although my 89 USA Standard w/ custom shop fat 50's is nice. My 2008 I put in an everything axe pickguard but changed out the middle duckbucker with a cool rails.
I love it. The S-1 is nicebut I always found myself removing them-Still have the laoded pickguard. Also have aneverything axe loaded pickguard with cool rails in the middle sittin in my closet.
I can say with much expeience that the newer N3 noiseless pups suck-imho. The old noiseless like Jeff Beck uses-those were very stratty- that may be what you have except I believe he has the mid boost stuff like Clapton.
For me the graphite saddles just don't cut it. IIWY I would try and clean up that bridge. I also would go stainless steel saddles like on the new deluxes. Sound great and look cool.

Nice Strat you got there.

I also agree with PaulS advice.

Thanks for replies guys

I think the pups are the 'Jeff Beck' noiseless ones - they look very like the ones retro fitted in a Levinson Blade Texas Std I picked up a while back - they sound sort of meh in that - but that might be down to a very dodgy active tone circuit (another repair for the list!). I'll know more when I get time to strip the Strat down for a cleanup and get a peek at the underside of the scratchplate.

Some of the little springs on the intonation screws behind the saddles seem to be pure rust .... we'll see ....

That bridge looks like you could clean it up fine with a little fine steel wool. I wouldn't replace.

Try Lace Hot Golds. Love them!

Back
Top Bottom