NGD: a Holy Grail guitar at last!

grandinq

Power User
Back in 2005, I bought my beloved PRS McCarty off the wall of a Guitar Center. To this day it’s been my favorite guitar and is pictured in my avatar.

About a year later, I’m at the same Guitar Center and they have this guy there doing guitar setups. I had been looking for a place to bring the McCarty for a setup and got his info. It turns out the guy, Dan Becker, he was not only doing guitar repair work, but starting to build his own guitars. He had some on the wall of his shop, really interesting designs and finishes. He let me noodle on them while doing my guitar setup. They were really fun to play, but of course I had my McCarty and these guitars were thousands of dollars.

As the years went by I kept bringing my guitars in and kept trying out the Becker guitars. I don’t know how you all do your purchases, but I am often saving a little bit of money here and there for some future purchase. It was 2015 and at one point Dan Becker let me borrow a guitar for a few weeks. While still loving my McCarty, I really fell in love with the Retro model he had. At that point however, I decided to target my savings towards an Axe FX II, as I had been reading about those for years and watching YouTube videos. I got the Fractal in 2016 and never regretted it. Someday, I thought, I might pick up a Becker.

By 2016-7 (can’t remember exactly) Becker Guitars were no more. The shop was closed and there was no trace. I figured I would never get such a guitar now as the company no longer existed. When I got into Reverb, I added “Becker Retro” to my feed. One or two came up, but they disappeared quickly, weren’t quite what I wanted, or were more than I would pay.

To my delight, things have changed. I got a message about one being available, it matched what I wanted, and I had the funds. I am now the proud owner of a Becker Retro, a guitar I have been dreaming about for about 10 years. I’m never getting rid of my McCarty, but I am so happy with this newly acquired guitar.

Becker Retro.jpg

Congrats!!

That’s a very cool design. Unconventional, but not over the top. What are the wood(s) and neck specs.? The straight grain on the body is very nice.

Tom Hamilton, guitarist for JRAD, plays Beckers and they sound fantastic in his hands. A little wild looking, but seeing him sport them for so many years has really turned me from disliking their styling to really thinking they are pretty cool.

He talks about them a bit here: https://behindthegear.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/tom-hamilton/

Truly unique and well-crafted instruments that are surprisingly affordable in a world where small luthier stuff usually starts at $5000 and up.

Congrats on landing your dream guitar @grandinq! Hope it pulls all the right notes out of you!

Edit: TRH Jr on his Becker here:

Last edited:
And the Lord spake, saying, ''First shalt thou take out the Holy Pick. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then aimest thou the sound from thy Holy Grail Guitar towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'

Tom Hamilton, guitarist for JRAD, plays Beckers and they sound fantastic in his hands. A little wild looking, but seeing him sport them for so many years has really turned me from disliking their styling to really thinking they are pretty cool.

He talks about them a bit here: https://behindthegear.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/tom-hamilton/

Truly unique and well-crafted instruments that are surprisingly affordable in a world where small luthier stuff usually starts at $5000 and up.

Congrats on landing your dream guitar @grandinq! Hope it pulls all the right notes out of you!

Edit: TRH Jr on his Becker here:

That was cool! Loved his carefree attitude. Great playing as well.

Back
Top Bottom