NGD - 95 PRS Custom 22 Goldtop

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
It ain't the fanciest, it ain't some easter egg colored beauty contestant thing. But it's perfect.

I was hardcore PRS for about 10 years. Things changed, for various reasons. Some personal, some financial.

Time has passed, I happened upon a deal I could not pass up, took a leap and ended up hitting the jack-pot... a great guitar.

My #1 PRS for the 10 years I owned all of them (and I have had about 40 over the years, give or take) was a Vintage Yellow stoptail 1995 Custom 22. It was 7lbs 2oz. and was just a KILLER guitar. It was the last one I sold off when I absolutely had to do so. That was a bad day.

That was 2006. Now, starting off 2011, I had a shot at a stoptail Custom 22 for a price I could afford from a fellow TGP'er. By providence, it is also from 1995 and weighs in at 7lbs. 3oz.. It was a little beat up, but heck - it's a gold top with moons. It won't win any 'pretty' contests, but it's a player and a tone machine. A check of serial numbers shows it only 600 serial numbers away from my old #1. This... was meant to be. :aok

IMAG0192.jpg

And the tone is insanely good. Popped the bridge pickup out when I was setting it up and took a pic:

IMAG0191.jpg

I've never knew much about High Order pickups except reading here and there on the Forums. These pickups (the guitar also has a RS Guitarworks "Guitarcap" in it) are freaking massive sounding in this guitar. Totally well balanced, nice top, chewy mids. Sounds fantastic. Could not be happier.

I did some work to it; it needed some TLC, had 9's on it and well, needed some TLC. :D Full setup, lots of cleaning, truss rod tweak, dropped ebony tuner heads on, a NOS "PRS FORUM V" truss rod cover, TonePros locking studs and put my preferred D'Addario 10's on there. BOOM! Huge tones.

Really digging this thing, feels like 'home' and it's nice to have a H/H loaded guitar again to supplement the Melancon H/S/S setups I've been playing almost exclusively since 2004.

It is good to finally be able to get a guitar and NOT have to worry about selling another - the Melancon's are NOT going anywhere.

This guitar? This is a good guitar. One of those guitars you really wonder: "How could someone sell this thing?"

It was meant to be. Dig it!

Oh, here's a quick cell phone pic of the TRC. Ron Thorn did these, I believe these were Koa. They were made in honor of the 5th Anniversary of the original PRS Forum.

IMAG0196.jpg

Nice! Nothing like a PRS, though I have only owned a total of three including the one I have now is more then enough to cover plenty of tones.

I though you were selling it and I almost PM'd you that I want it. I guess that's the best compliment you can get. :D That's the thing I love about older PRS guitars that there's something special in them. You most likely won't see another one like this anywhere. You sure won't hear anything like it anywhere. Honestly... I keep buying new guitars but my PRS guitars are the only guitars that get play time.

A very nice guitars. And I think it looks great!

Congrats on the new old guitar! :) That stoptail is my favorite bridge and I love the wide-fat neck profile.

Back
Top Bottom