NGBD

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Found on Reverb for pretty cheap. Supposedly a blem, but I can't find it....
20240326_111106.jpg

Will be transferring the Noventa JM neck onto this body....

Opened it up before putting the neck on, and its pickups are not branded or labeled in any way. Measured each off the switch:
B: 10.7k
M: 11.1k
N: 11.3k

Tiny "farn" pots. Will likely rewire and add the 4p5t so I can do the middle spot on the 5-way with the middle/neck+bridge switch.

Seems like 3 random pickups rather than a calibrated set, just like the old days. The pickups have a bit of microphonic noise when tapped with a guitar pick or fingernail. Still need to set it up. May pull the neck back off and shim a bit to get the saddle height a bit lower. I imagine it will get WLS130 saddles at a future string change....

Last edited:
Finally found the "blem": the middle and neck pickups were mounted around 3/32" off from where they should have been. Assembly person screwed up. I found enough leeway in the pickup routs to slide 'em over and drill new 1/16" pilot holes, and all is covered and aligned, with only the slight impressions left behind in the finish from the pressure of the mounting rings to give any clue of what happened.... Skinny E is much stronger and more balanced with the rest, now.... :)

Upgraded the pickups to get rid of the microphonic issues from the ones that came with it. The new ones are Q Pickups' three pickup vintage Firebird set, made in Croatia.

These are excellent if you are looking for the old, original vintage Firebird tone!

20240430_180806.jpg

They look just like the ones they replaced, but sound much clearer and cleaner. I can pile drives, amp dirt, and volume on them without the moose calls the old ones made, too....

Upgraded the pickups to get rid of the microphonic issues from the ones that came with it. The new ones are Q Pickups' three pickup vintage Firebird set, made in Croatia.

These are excellent if you are looking for the old, original vintage Firebird tone!

20240430_180806.jpg

They look just like the ones they replaced, but sound much clearer and cleaner. I can pile drives, amp dirt, and volume on them without the moose calls the old ones made, too....

That thing just looks badass. I generally don't go in for offsets like this, but this just looks too awesome to dismiss.

That thing just looks badass. I generally don't go in for offsets like this, but this just looks too awesome to dismiss.

Thanks! It's a great sounding and playing guitar. I was going to get a Warmoth body for the JM neck from my Noventa, and use up some parts-drawer pickups, but the Tone Bakery B-stock body was just too good a deal to pass up. Even if every part attached to it gets replaced, it's still hundreds less than a Warmoth body would be, and it's decently light, resonant, and looks great. The new pickups are, all at the same time, full and round, clear, bright, and crisp. I will likely add the 4p2t on-on-on switch at some future point, so that I can get the middle alone and the neck + bridge 1/2 OOP as additional tones in the guitar. The three pickups measure 6.4k ohms, 6.7k ohms, and 6.99k ohms from neck to bridge. Definitely in the "vintage" range. By way of comparison, the ones I took out were in the 10-11k range. Might just be 42 vs. 43 gauge wire, but they sound a little "warmer" and "rounder" and less "clear" than the replacements from Q Pickups, so it might be they are a little over-wound.

Throw the 5-way in the middle for neck + bridge, and you can immediately get the "Dear Mr. Fantasy" tone. The little, hidden construction details that are mentioned on the Q PIckups site about these seem to make that last bit of difference, as I couldn't quite get that tone out of the Duncan Vintage Firebird Mini-HBs I had in the old Explorer Studio Pro that I shouldn't have sold years back.... Neck by itself is pure and sweet, balanced beautifully, with enough highs to cut through while still carrying the rounded neck pickup tone with it. Bridge is clear and biting, but not harsh, and has a wonderful "KERRRANG" to it. The "notch" sounds are great. Combining the middle with the neck gets a clear and quacky, yet fatter, Strat tone, and with the bridge, you get the same thing - clear, quacky, Stratty, but a little fatter. This is the Strat tone I wanted 35-40 years ago. :D I was close to it in the '90s with three Duncan Firebird Minis in a black Mexican Strat, but they were the higher output ones (the "Seymourized" at the bridge and two "Hot" ones at neck and middle), and they didn't have the sparkly highs that these Q Pickups do. Someone out there has that guitar, which was stolen from my car the one time I was too tired to make an extra trip to bring them in after a gig. :(

Last edited:
Thanks! It's a great sounding and playing guitar. I was going to get a Warmoth body for the JM neck from my Noventa, and use up some parts-drawer pickups, but the Tone Bakery B-stock body was just too good a deal to pass up. Even if every part attached to it gets replaced, it's still hundreds less than a Warmoth body would be, and it's decently light, resonant, and looks great. The new pickups are, all at the same time, full and round, clear, bright, and crisp. I will likely add the 4p2t on-on-on switch at some future point, so that I can get the middle alone and the neck + bridge 1/2 OOP as additional tones in the guitar. The three pickups measure 6.4k ohms, 6.7k ohms, and 6.99k ohms from neck to bridge. Definitely in the "vintage" range. By way of comparison, the ones I took out were in the 10-11k range. Might just be 42 vs. 43 gauge wire, but they sound a little "warmer" and "rounder" and less "clear" than the replacements from Q Pickups, so it might be they are a little over-wound.

Throw the 5-way in the middle for neck + bridge, and you can immediately get the "Dear Mr. Fantasy" tone. The little, hidden construction details that are mentioned on the Q PIckups site about these seem to make that last bit of difference, as I couldn't quite get that tone out of the Duncan Vintage Firebird Mini-HBs I had in the old Explorer Studio Pro that I shouldn't have sold years back.... Neck by itself is pure and sweet, balanced beautifully, with enough highs to cut through while still carrying the rounded neck pickup tone with it. Bridge is clear and biting, but not harsh, and has a wonderful "KERRRANG" to it. The "notch" sounds are great. Combining the middle with the neck gets a clear and quacky, yet fatter, Strat tone, and with the bridge, you get the same thing - clear, quacky, Stratty, but a little fatter. This is the Strat tone I wanted 35-40 years ago. :D I was close to it in the '90s with three Duncan Firebird Minis in a black Mexican Strat, but they were the higher output ones (the "Seymourized" at the bridge and two "Hot" ones at neck and middle), and they didn't have the sparkly highs that these Q Pickups do. Someone out there has that guitar, which was stolen from my car the one time I was too tired to make an extra trip to bring them in after a gig. :(

Man, I hadn't heard of the Tone Bakery (great name!) or Q Pickups. They both were interesting to read about. That's the thing with output; it's just the fact that you need lower output to have inherent sparkly highs. Whether it's thinner wire or just fewer winds, you can't get hot and sparkly; it's always a compromise. This is why I roll back the volume knob to set cleans; this is the way!

You've mentioned HOOP wiring so much you've gotten me curious if it's something I would ever use. I may take a look at that in the future.

There's nothing like hitting tonal goals. Congratulations on reaching the Strat tone you wanted for so long, in something that looks way cooler, Dude!

Back
Top Bottom