newbie recording interface pc best choices?

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
windows vista 64 bit

Hi all, new axe fx ultra. I have an m audio fast track 1/4 inch input only. 1) can the axe just send to the guitar input of this thing for starters? (do I choose l>r and just use output left ?)

MORE IMPORTANTLY A CHEAP DO ALL SOLUTION PLEASE:

sooo, what would be a cheap good interface that would allow for a midi interface, recording, as well as simultaneous outputs to pa speakers, thanks!

1) Yes. Use the left output. Copy l>r is OK.

I don't know what qualifies as cheap, but I really like my Lexicon I-Onix U22, and it meets your functional requirements.

1) sorry few more basic questions, you have a lexicon and m audio midi sport any reason?

2) what cables go between the axe fx and the say m audio midisport or lexicon, are there just basic 5 pin, in out dual cables, do these have to be special in anyway?

3) I have a fasttrak m audio, can the axe plug into the "guitar" in of this, and record? should I "splurge" and get the m audio (pro with midi)? to stay in the pro tools realm? thanks for any help

lexicon looks real cool but I may want to be in the pro tools realm, what software do u use?

Last edited:
1) I picked up the 2x2 sport in anticipation of using a foot controller and axe-edit at the same time.
2) I have four cables going between my U22 and Axe: two standard 5-pin midi cables; and two standard TRS (or TS) cables for audio.
3) As I said above, yes it can plug into the guitar input of your audio interface, just as it can plug into the guitar input of a regular guitar amp.

I'm not a pro tools guy, so I can't help you there.

+1 for the Lexicon I-Onix. If you go for the 4 channel version then you also get S/PDIF inputs. The midi ins/outs work fine with Axe-edit. You can also use it as a standalone mixer. And a free copy of Cubase LE included...ok, so you're not going to get the full functionality of something like Pro Tools, but it's enough for me. I've been really happy with the I-Onix.

3) As I said above, yes it can plug into the guitar input of your audio interface, just as it can plug into the guitar input of a regular guitar amp.

Hi LMO, I just bought an I-ONIX U82s on ebay $300... good deal even if I do say so my self... am I reading you right, you are plugging your Axe-Fx into the two side guitar inputs...? :?:

I thought it would be better to use balanced TRS into the rear inputs!

Do you use a mixer at all?

Back
Top Bottom