*newbie question. FM3 live use.

One way to dip into the unit is to keep it simple. Start with an amp you're familiar with - for example, a Fender model - with a matching cab. Add a reverb. Add a drive. After each addition beyond the amp and cab, play and see how it sounds; adjust EQ settings, etc. If you add a block that you don't like or that alters your sound in a way that you don't want, then delete that block and either try another or forget that effect altogehter. I find that simple homemade presets work really well, especially at gigs. If you complicate your presets, everything can get messy and you can get lost in the weeds. I've been using a "gig" preset that I made with a clean scene, a low gain scene, a lead scene and a chorus scene. That covers everything I need. HTH

Thanks Greg, I'm getting more comfortable with what I need to do. Ive used Kemper, Helix for years so I think I can adopt the basics quickly. I need to learn Scenes and set them up with my foot switches..I think once that's done, I'll spend the next year learning the software.

I need to learn Scenes and set them up with my foot switches.
The factory footswitch layouts do that already, just learn to use what’s built in first, then slowly bend it to your will if you find it not doing what you want.

And, if you don’t have the FC6 to accompany the FM3, I highly recommend getting one. The combination, with the OMG9 layout, is a great setup that makes it easy to use for travel. It’s amazing what sounds can come from that box.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of depth and complexity to the FM3. However, I am not a programer. Can't I just use it out of the box? Can't I just plug it into a PA, select a patch or pay for a patch I like and go? Sure I may make few adjustments to a drive, delay, verb or amp. And I've been a Kemper user. But how difficult is my use case? Plug and play. Thanks
If you just want plug and play…your options are factory…or someone like Austin Buddy and others who have dialed in tones and tweak them for live use….

You don’t necessarily need to stray from the amp models/settings in the stock presets, but you’ll need to wrap your head around scenes, layouts, etc, which likely will require both reading the manual and doing some tweaking until it all makes sense. I would recommend you plan to endure a bit of confusion/frustration to start, but be patient and ask questions here when things aren’t making sense.

The factory footswitch layouts do that already, just learn to use what’s built in first, then slowly bend it to your will if you find it not doing what you want.

The challenge for many players though is that they want (or need) to use it almost immediately for gigs, and if the factory layouts don’t work for the player’s needs - as dictated by the particular gig - then ‘slowly’ may not be an option. :)

For that reason alone I recommend that players don’t plan to gig with it immediately if they don’t need to, especially if they have complex FX or switching needs that could take some learning in order to be able to dial in.

Back
Top Bottom