newbie monitor routing question

trouw2112

I want to run yamaha hs7s with my AX8 and come from my computer 3.5mm output to the monitors. I have done this before with KRKs and I didn't have an issue because they have rca jacks. I ran 3.5 split to rca and ran xlr from AX8. The hs7s only have trs and xlr. I am assuming a balanced signal is the way to go but it will take splitters and Ys I would rather not use. Is a DAC or external soundcard the way to go? Any ideas

Just showing that the cheapest thing would work for what you’ve described:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/502

9B613096-A51D-4328-9121-3E31076DAB3B.jpeg

Use 1/4” out of the AX8 to ch 2&3, then 3.5 to 1/4” y cable (which is very normal) to ch 4&5, then 2 TRS cables (which are balanced) to your speakers. $40, and a channel for a mic if you want (ch 1).

From here, you could get something with more channels, more XLR inputs, XLR outputs, USB interface for recording, etc.

But for what you described, this $40 mixer will work. It really depends on what you want.

I would get an external audio interface, there are plenty of affordable USB ones, which are going to have much better sound quality, not to mention better drivers, than using the built in PC soundcard with a 3.5mm jack and a splitter.

I use a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 myself. Cost like $150 I think, works great.

Don't really need a balanced signal either, that only matters over long runs of hundreds of feet

Keep in mind you can get audio cables that have things like a XLR connector on one end and a 1/4th jack on the other, or you can get a 1/4 to XLR adapter, or a 1/4th to 1/8th adapter etc, so plenty of ways to connect whatever you want, but as I said, you've got good quality monitor speakers and you've got a Fractal unit, so I'd get a decent audio interface for recording as well, cost just a small percent of the rest of your gear

Back
Top Bottom