Newbie - First Bass Rig for Use with the Axe Fx

cdhgamer

Hey there all! I've had an Axe Fx II for a while now and I've been using it for recording but live I've been running an Ampeg BA115HPT (first bass amp) since I didn't have the money to buy a rig capable of running the Axe Fx live. I recently came into some money and I've been busy considering my possibilities for such a rig. I need something capable of going toe to toe with my guitarist's rig - an '81 JCM800 head and a JCM900 cab w/stock speakers, so obviously I'll need more than the 220 watts I've been using. I'm looking for something lightweight since I have bad joints and I need to cover a low B string tuned down to A frequency wise. I was looking at a Crown XLS1500 for a cheap clean power amp and an Orange SP212 Cab just because it's light and 600 watts (a good start) but I know nothing about FRFR or other light cab possibilities. Partially these choices are because I'm trying to keep my new rig under $1200. Also, if anyone would like to offer me a quick explanation of matching ohms between power amp and cab, that'd be nice, but I can also google it too. I've only used combo amps so far which adds to the newb factor.

grab a 4x10 bass cab with Neodymium drivers at 8 ohms...lots of them out there to choose from. Drive the cab with your Crown amp in Bridge Mono (see the manual for wiring - pay attention and be careful. Get some help if you don't understand the wiring). You could also probably swing a second cabinet (1x15, 2x10, etc. at 8 ohms) to daisy chain off the first cabinet for added power if needed, or further down the road. Don't use cabinet simulations, and try any of the bass amp models for your tone: SV Bass, Citrus Bass, and FAS Bass are all good places to start. I've not liked or had luck with the Mesa 400 amp models...something seems weird about them.

Depending on the cabinet(s) you get, you should have no problem getting this done for $1200 IMO.

Thanks! I think I'm leaning toward the GK Neo 410 now. I went into Guitar Center and demoed it and the Hartke Hydrive and I think it should fit the bill just right.

Thanks! I think I'm leaning toward the GK Neo 410 now. I went into Guitar Center and demoed it and the Hartke Hydrive and I think it should fit the bill just right.

Funny, I was going to suggest both of those cabinets but didn't want to be too specific with a recommendation. If cost, weight and volume weren't an issue, I'd just say to go for an Ampeg 8x10 Classic and be done for good!

And if I'd be willing to lug it around, haha. Only time I played one live was when it was a different band bringing it that offered to share. Do you have any personal experiences with Hartke and GK gear that would make you lean toward one or the other?

I own and have owned Hartke cabs and heads, and GK heads (no cabs, though) and feel that they are a solid choice in general, but not either of these cabs specifically. Try before you buy, I say. I've gone to the length of bringing gear and "setting up shop" at the local GC in order to put gear through an extended audition, and at healthy volume. The staff usually has no problem with this, but its cool to try and do this during off-peak, or even call ahead to make sure. If you're not pissing someone off, you're not doing it right! LOL!

So if I go with the GK Neo 410, would I be running the power amp in a Dual or Bridged mode? And does it matter if at 8 ohms, the power amp is feeding 300 watts (dual) or 1050 watts (bridged) into an 800 watt cab? I know you match ohms obviously but I just don't know much about if watts have to be similar or below what the cab can handle since I've only used combos.

The general rule of thumb that most bass geeks tend to agree on is to get the wattages relatively close.

And it would be preferable to run the XLS1500 bridged to have the full 1050W into the 800W cab. Reason being is you're less likely to push the power amp too hard and clip it (resulting in distortion, which the bass cab won't like very much!), and by the same token, you're more likely to drive yourself deaf before you push past the 800W rated limit on the cab if you bridge.

Basically, go bridged, and take care not to run your amp at 11, and you should be ok.

Also, given the other band equipment you mentioned you'd be playing with, 300W from a solid state amp won't be loud enough in my opinion.

And to confuse matters further - remember that large wattage numbers are NOT the be-all/end-all to making you "sound loud" in a band mix. There's a bunch of other factors at play, including the number of speakers pushing air, the size of the speakers, the efficiencies of the cab, how you're EQ'd etc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) :)

Back
Top Bottom