New Wave of Classic Rock.

Nick Perri & The Underground Thieves- Feeling Good, has an awesome guitar lick with an amazing guitar tone. Great vocals too!

Music is like fashion, what’s old is new again. In fact, in the video I mentioned, they’re even wearing old fashion!

Thanks for the link. It’s great to hear guitar based music again with great vocals. The auto tuned pop shit of the last decade or more is an absolute joke and real insult to true musicians!

[Edit] I really like The Struts - Could Have Been Me.

Last edited:
Saw the Rival Sons live a couple of times the past few years. Excellent shows, just manic. I like most of their music but love Do Your Worst, All Over the Road & particularly Electric Man. That last one ... just wow. More like that please.

Pretty interesting article about new bands going back over old territory. I'm definitely going to give a few of these a spin (if I can use that anachronism.)

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/new-wave-of-classic-rock
Thanks for the post. I'm always on the look out for new rock bands. Still working my way through the list of bands mentioned, but there's some good stuff in there.

This statement pretty much sums up a lot about the current state of music: "“This type of sound is finding popularity as a kind of backlash to what we’ve been fed over the last 10 years,” says Rival Sons guitarist Scott Holiday."

I remain firmly of the opinion that bands should strive to find their own original voice, not rehash the past. Which I firmly believe why rock stopped being exciting and rebellious in the late 90's and audiences shifted to more dangerous musical style. Classic rock is classic for a reason, it's in the past. When you're more concerned with trying to color within the musical lines you're not exploring new territory.

Saw the Rival Sons live a couple of times the past few years. Excellent shows, just manic. I like most of their music but love Do Your Worst, All Over the Road & particularly Electric Man. That last one ... just wow. More like that please.

They are SO good. I feel like Jay Buchanan is one of the pre-eminent singers
in all of rock music. We were about 5 rows back from the stage when we saw
them and you could hear the power of his voice from the stage. Amazing!! :)

I remain firmly of the opinion that bands should strive to find their own original voice, not rehash the past. Which I firmly believe why rock stopped being exciting and rebellious in the late 90's and audiences shifted to more dangerous musical style. Classic rock is classic for a reason, it's in the past. When you're more concerned with trying to color within the musical lines you're not exploring new territory.
What dangerous new style was discovered? Hip Hop?

I like the cut of Mr. Holiday's jib...

“Plenty of folks the world over… definitely are aching for new rock ‘n’ roll: not active rock, not metal, not alternative rock… rock ‘n’ roll. We’ve been here to give them just that,” Holiday says. “Don’t get me wrong – I love all those offshoots, and at any moment we may give you some of that in this band. But at the heart of Rival Sons is that soul- and blues-based dirty garage-y rock ‘n’ roll. And we’re really good at delivering it.”

I like the swagger..."And we’re really good at delivering it.”

"What makes this current renaissance particularly interesting is that these bands are starting to experience mainstream crossover success and taking over prime cultural real estate that – for the better part of the last decade or two – has been largely occupied by hip-hop and radio pop."

Any move away from hip hop is got to be good for mankind....imho.

The weird thing is I have been listening to Rival Sons since Pressure and Time a decade.

Must be a really slooooooooooooooooooooooow wave. ;)

I recently got Apple News+ which has "Classic Rock Magazine". The issue was dedicated to the 30 year anniversary of a bunch of 1991 albums that are not all classic rock. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. Sure makes me feel old, but hey I guess it's classic rock.

I still consider classic rock to be more of a sound than an age though. To me it's rock and roll from about the mid 60's through the late 70's when rock kind of split into punk, new wave, metal, hard rock, etc.

Back
Top Bottom