New user needs help, something’s not right.

The unit came with 21.04, but reinstalling the firmware seems to have helped. I don’t see the FullRes IRs. If I just install the current presets package listed at the top of the forums will that just replace all of the current presets?

I’m starting to wonder if FAS sent me a used box. Do they check the new ones before they go out the door? Bumpy start but it’s getting better. Thanks for everbody’s help.

I’m trying. I don’t understand what you meant by post a preset. All presets exhibit the same behavior.
Did you try a different cable between guitar and axe ? Also try what someone said above .

Use input on the back instead of the front input. just to see if you get a different result …

and disconnect from the computer only having your axe (with no usb attached ) direct to you speakers.

posting a Preset means exporting one you your presets, posting it here on the forum so someone can run it and at least rule out something funky (which may be in all your presets )

if all else fails, contact support, i hope you get it sorted out.

Did you try a different cable between guitar and axe ? Also try what someone said above .

Use input on the back instead of the front input. just to see if you get a different result …

and disconnect from the computer only having your axe (with no usb attached ) direct to you speakers.

posting a Preset means exporting one you your presets, posting it here on the forum so someone can run it and at least rule out something funky (which may be in all your presets )

if all else fails, contact support, i hope you get it sorted out.
Thanks. We probably just cross posted. It was the firmware.

I think so. I’ve never played one before though so I don’t know what to compare it to. I’m able to get some good tones now but it does take some tweaking. I still haven’t tried a factory preset or one that I’ve downloaded that I could just say yeah that sounds great. Does that seem odd? Before the firmware reset it was really anemic. Input levels seemed weak. No gain, flubby on the bottom and buzzy on the top with no real midrange or tone to speak of.

The unit came with 21.04, but reinstalling the firmware seems to have helped. I don’t see the FullRes IRs. If I just install the current presets package listed at the top of the forums will that just replace all of the current presets?

I’m starting to wonder if FAS sent me a used box. Do they check the new ones before they go out the door? Bumpy start but it’s getting better. Thanks for everbody’s help.
They would not send a used unit and they QC check every one. Unless you bought a B-stock, which are sometimes returned units. However, I believe those actually get the full "as new" treatment.

Yours should have had a QC tag attached to it.

Technically, reinstalling the same firmware should have NO effect because it's code and that code is validated at the end of the installation process to confirm it is complete. That being said, there have been numerous reported cases in the past of this somehow "fixing" a problem... Glad it worked for you!

The FullRes IRs are in the Legacy bank at the end:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#FullRes_IRs

They would not send a used unit and they QC check every one. Unless you bought a B-stock, which are sometimes returned units. However, I believe those actually get the full "as new" treatment.

Yours should have had a QC tag attached to it.

Technically, reinstalling the same firmware should have NO effect because it's code and that code is validated at the end of the installation process to confirm it is complete. That being said, there have been numerous reported cases in the past of this somehow "fixing" a problem... Glad it worked for you!

The FullRes IRs are in the Legacy bank at the end:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#FullRes_IRs
Yeah I saw that in the docs but the FullRes IRs are not there. That’s why I questioned the QC. The box required a firmware install and the IRs are missing. Will a reinstall of the presets just overwrite everything there? I’ll probably drop support a note about it.

I think so. I’ve never played one before though so I don’t know what to compare it to. I’m able to get some really good tones now but it does take some tweaking. I still haven’t tried a factory preset or one that I’ve downloaded yet that I could just say yeah that sounds great. Does that seem odd?
I had to build my own presets and I put a lot of time learning the way around the Fractal way of doing things ..before the modeling overcame and surpassed my tube amps and outboard gear.
I'm still learning at almost the 4 year mark, but I am beyond happy with the tone and feel.

I think so. I’ve never played one before though so I don’t know what to compare it to. I’m able to get some really good tones now but it does take some tweaking. I still haven’t tried a factory preset or one that I’ve downloaded yet that I could just say yeah that sounds great. Does that seem odd?
Well, it kind of depends on your hands, speakers, and guitar, but as a general rule, if you download one of Burgs presets and can’t say “yeah that sounds great”, then there’s probably something wrong.

Yeah I saw that in the docs but the FullRes IRs are not there. That’s why I questioned the QC. The box required a firmware install and the IRs are missing. Will a reinstall of the presets just overwrite everything there? I’ll probably drop support a note about it.
IRs are not part of firmware. They are also not changeable or able to be deleted by a user.

Contact support.

If you're missing factory IRs they are the only ones that can help. They may not have been loaded...

If yours is a new unit, it is a MKII & they have a separate Fullres bank. The MKI has a few Fullres IRs at the end of the legacy bank. Both were installed by firmware updates 17 & 17.01.

Version 17 introduces FullRes™ Impulse Response processing. FullRes processes IRs up to 64K points with zero latency using a novel technique. This provides up to 1.37 seconds of response time. Seasoned producers and engineers often mix in “Room Mics” during recording to increase the depth and liveliness of recordings. However, the typical live room has a reverb time of 500-700 milliseconds, well beyond the 20-40 ms afforded by typical IR processing. FullRes allows capturing the full response of a typical live room and even the response of small-to-medium halls and clubs. FullRes can also be used for convolution reverb applications for reverb times less than 1.37 seconds.

The IR Player block and the Cabinet block both support FullRes IRs. The last two slots of the Cabinet block support FullRes. This is sufficient to provide two room mics, a left and a right, along with two direct mics within a single Cabinet block.

The new FullRes User IR bank supports up to 64 FullRes IRs. When capturing an IR selecting the USER FR bank will automatically set the IR Type to FullRes. Likewise, when setting the IR Type to FullRes the bank will automatically be set to USER FR. FullRes IRs can be processed with minimum-phase or auto-trim, if desired. However, minimum-phase is not recommended as this will tend to destroy the reflection information.

Added 10 FullRes IRs to the Legacy bank provided by Valhallir and York Audio. These are at the end of the bank. These can be loaded into the IR Player blocks or into Slots 3 and 4 of the Cabinet blocks. Note that Slots 1 and 2 of the Cabinet blocks do not support FullRes.

On the MK I Axe III, Fullres IRs are only visible in slots #3 and #4 of the Cab block in the Legacy bank. I'm unsure the protocol for the MK II/Turbo version.

Well, it kind of depends on your hands, speakers, and guitar, but as a general rule, if you download one of Burgs presets and can’t say “yeah that sounds great”, then there’s probably something wrong.
Berg or Burg? I’m looking for those presets. I have only played my Les Paul so far. I’ve always played non master amps, never been a fan of preamp distortion. I’ve been building off the plexi amps and tone stack. A low cut cleans up the bottom. There is a nasty buzz around 8K that I have to cut. I’m missing the sizzle on the top and that chewy part of a Plexi. Pete Thorn gets it in his FM9 video but I’m not getting it from his preset. Thanks again to everybody for all of the help.

I think so. I’ve never played one before though so I don’t know what to compare it to. I’m able to get some good tones now but it does take some tweaking. I still haven’t tried a factory preset or one that I’ve downloaded that I could just say yeah that sounds great. Does that seem odd? Before the firmware reset it was really anemic. Input levels seemed weak. No gain, flubby on the bottom and buzzy on the top with no real midrange or tone to speak of.
So you've never used one, and haven't tried any factory presets?? Yes that seems odd. Go through the basic setup steps in the manual, plug in some headphones, and run through some factory presets. It should sound fine if you have a decent set of phones. Or even thru your monitors.

So you've never used one, and haven't tried any factory presets?? Yes that seems odd. Go through the basic setup steps in the manual, plug in some headphones, and run through some factory presets. It should sound fine if you have a decent set of phones. Or even thru your monitors.
I was saying I’ve never played an AxeFx so I wouldn’t know if what I was hearing was right or not. I went through the presets but that was before I did the firmware reinstall. I need to go though them again.

I found Frank Meuler’s preset videos. They sound great. I’m not even in the ballpark. The problem seems to be in the cab section. If I disable the cab on the AxeFx and run it through Torpedo in Logic it’s a completely different experience. I’ll get with support.

On the MK I Axe III, Fullres IRs are only visible in slots #3 and #4 of the Cab block in the Legacy bank. I'm unsure the protocol for the MK II/Turbo version.
On the Mk2/Turbo you definitely need to also be using slots 3/4 on the cab sim and then going to the Legacy bank to see the Fullres left/right IRs.

Back
Top Bottom