New User - Many questions

You are not (or were not, since all of this was moved to a new thread/post) in the "quantum v9.04 forum", you were in the "quantum v9.04 firmware" thread in the Axe Fx II forum.

The Fractal forums are a collection of forums, each organized by a major topic such as Axe Fx II, AX-8, MFC-101, etc.

Within each forum there are posts (which become "threads" as the conversation on that post's topic evolve).

Hijacking is what happens when you join into a thread about topic A to post about topic B. If you want to post about topic B and there is not a current one, feel free to create a new post for that.

Questions about a specific issue you are having usually deserves a new post.

Welcome to the forum... We like to help, but you need to understand the way things work.:)

Not a problem this is an amazing forum. I was probably in this forum because I successfully
downloaded the Quantum v9.04 on the first attempt after having no response
trying to download the v9.03
for about two days prior. I switched the USB cable and re loaded the newer
bot and it automatically went from v8.02 to v9.04. so my thought
was what do I do next. I learned so much in
here my brain can't keep up with it all.

Does anybody know how I locate an unused space on the AXE FXll to save the forum patches to?

In Axe-Edit click the "Presets" button (just to the left of the box where you name your presets), that will cause a list to come up with all the presets, you can scroll right and left in that pane till you find an empty or unnamed preset.

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 1.07.31 AM.png

If it's an Axe-FX XL or XL+, and has factory presets still, then banks C, D, and F should all be empty (which is to say presets higher than #385). If it's a Mark I or Mark II model, it will only have 384 presets, so there will be no blank presets and you will need to chose to save over a factory preset.

Welcome to the the amazing world of fractal audio awesomeness :)

Don't forget to download Fractal Bot and always do a full backup before you do any major changes / upgrades / or heavey tweaking.
It only takes a couple of minutes, and it should be something you always do. It's a brilliant and easy program that can potentially save you loads of work and frustration.

Start simple and get familiar with the preset building and download from axechange and get inspired by that .. I've learned alot by studying other peoples presets. And if it sounds good to you, it is good :)

good luck :)

In Axe-Edit click the "Presets" button (just to the left of the box where you name your presets), that will cause a list to come up with all the presets, you can scroll right and left in that pane till you find an empty or unnamed preset.

View attachment 44145

If it's an Axe-FX XL or XL+, and has factory presets still, then banks C, D, and F should all be empty (which is to say presets higher than #385). If it's a Mark I or Mark II model, it will only have 384 presets, so there will be no blank presets and you will need to chose to save over a factory preset.

I pretty much see only 383 settings with something in each one of them
So then I'd choose bad sounding presets and patch in the more desirable ones

Yep, I went through the presets and deleted the ones I either didn't like or didn't think I'd use. Those that had effects I liked I used the "Save as Blocks in Library" so I could keep those effects.

I pretty much see only 383 settings with something in each of them

Honestly.....you have to start somewhere so just start at Preset 1 and over-write it. Don't look back after that. It's not like your losing out on anything. Start by finding the raw amp tone you like and save it to preset 1. Name it "David Main" or something like that. Now, just work from there. Use Axe Edit and start off by building "David Main" in a similar way you would build a "real" rig. Read up on the X/Y settings of an amp so that you can at least get a dirty tone and a clean tone. I use two different amps for this purpose. Read up and learn how to switch between these. Then learn how to add in the effects you want to use. With Axe Edit, this is extremely easy. Learn how to turn them on/off at will or via an external midi controller like the Fractal MFC.

Do not get hung up on the multiple pages of settings available for things like the amps. Many of us who are experienced with the Axe FX still do not bother to go past the page one settings. Likewise for some of the effects. Many sound great simply by swapping what model the effect is designed to imitate.

There is another gentleman on this forum named Max Haze who has a very helpful AxeFX youtube channel. Some of the videos assume the user is a bit more experienced with the AxeFX but it is still a good resource. You can start learning from his channel by going to this link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZf8_VqVGoExPGPuaz-H24SmsJ4fincZS

Hope that helps and welcome!

yeah, that’s totally what i would do, any preset you don’t vibe with, just save over it.

with factory presets you can always reinstall again later if you change your mind (they’re available for download on the site), with your own presets or ones you’ve downloaded from elsewhere, just make sure you save a backup copy on your computer, you can always reload stuff at any time.

Welcome, @David Weissner ! You've bought yourself a fairly complex piece of gear. You're in for a ride, but it'll be an amazing one.

No, you don't have to read the entire manual before you start playing with it. But you owe it to yourself to at least read the Introduction section. It contains basic information that every Fractal owner needs to have. The barrage of questions you peppered us with at the start of the thread tells us that you don't yet know this basic information. So read the Introduction section. It will answer many of your questions, and it's better than having a group of us typing bits of that information for you here.

And don't forget that you can search the manual for information that you're looking for. If you can't find that information, or you can't make sense of it, then come back and ask. You're asking us to help you, and we're happy to do that. But we need to know that you're putting as much work into finding the answers as we're putting in to help you. We'll help you reach your goal, but we won't carry you there.

To get you started, here's an answer to one of your questions:

Yes, but it would be painfully slow. There are hundreds of factory presets. Each preset has hundreds of parameters. You'd have to compare tens of thousands of parameters to know whether anything's been changed.

The good news is that you can download the latest factory presets from the support section of Fractal's website. Then you can use Fractal-Bot to load them into your Axe.
Do you know how to find files on your computer?

Did you try to read some manuals...or just play a bit around to explore your new gear?

Searching form the ultimate pre-set patch but I don't know what version of firmware I have.
I upgraded to QUANTUM 9.04 but I am lost on knowing about the firmware. Did some reading.
will be doing a lot lot lot more reading.

Searching form the ultimate pre-set patch but I don't know what version of firmware I have.
I upgraded to QUANTUM 9.04 but I am lost on knowing about the firmware. Did some reading.
will be doing a lot lot lot more reading.

The firmware is Quantum v9.04, 9.04 is the version number which increments with each new firmware release from Fractal. The firmware is the software (computer code) that is run on the Axe FX hardware, all the amp model and effects algorithm code is contained in the firmware. Like any software there are new versions when new features and bug fixes are developed. 9.04 is the latest version, which you have installed.

Presets are NOT firmware. They can be modified and saved on the device itself, or backed up/restored to your computer using Fractalbot or Axe Edit.

Hmmmm , seems like you need somebody who lives close by to show you all these stuff.....else you might get quite frustrated.....
I am sure there are some very nice people living in Florida....:)
If not : as many have said....start at preset 1 -> delete every block -> start with a simple Amp + Cab block in DEFAULT settings.....NO need to adjust anything ..just listen through all the Amps first till you find something what comes close to the sound you are looking for.....
For clean amps : use any fender with Cab 83
For dirty amps : start with a simple marshall Plexi 50 with Cab 132

This should give you a strong basic tone.

Good luck !

Search on YouTube for “Cooper Carter”. He has some excellent beginner tutorials! Also, if you are interested, go to CreativeLive.com, Cooper has a couple of Axe FX training videos up for sale there. If you watch, they have Flash Sales every couple weeks and you can purchase a class for almost half-price. Also, one of the members here, Moke, has his own website Moke’s Custom Presets where he sells some excellent presets at a great price. He also offers private online tutoring on the Axe FX. @Moke is a wealth of knowledge!

Back
Top Bottom