New update changed my output

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for help.

Against my better judgement I updated my AX3 that "was" working perfectly well to the NEW big update. All the preloaded presets work fine however all the presets I programmed now have the output set to USB only. Do I have to go through every preset or is there a global way of fixing this? Perhaps there is a way to revert back to the way it was. Not sure exactly how to even make the changes in each preset since this was never an issue. ;-(

How do you know / Where do you that they are outputting to USB only?

Hi All,

Against my better judgement I updated my AX3 that "was" working perfectly well to the NEW big update. All the preloaded presets work fine however all the presets I programmed now have the output set to USB only. Do I have to go through every preset or is there a global way of fixing this? Perhaps there is a way to revert back to the way it was. Not sure exactly how to even make the changes in each preset since this was never an issue. ;-(
I don’t even know how to make a preset output usb only… where specifically are you seeing this?

The only thing I can think of is the Mute setting for the Output Modes in the I/O menu but that would affect all presets.

Turning down OUT 1 on the front panel will mute all output, also in the Meters, except for USB.

Hi Yek,

I didn't touch any front panel stuff. The only outputs that are affected are the ones I programmed. The factory presets work just fine. The headphones also work fine but only on the factory presets.

Thanks

Can you save your global settings with Fractal-Bot and a preset, and upload them here?

Hi Yek,

I didn't touch any front panel stuff. The only outputs that are affected are the ones I programmed. The factory presets work just fine. The headphones also work fine but only on the factory presets.

Thanks
Upload a preset that isn’t working correctly. In 10+ years of using Axe gear I don’t know how to make a preset USB only unless somehow you’re using a different output block in the preset.

Hi Chris,
I haven't changed anything. The only thing that changed was the firmware.

I only output to Output 1, that's it. No fancy stuff. When I'm home tonight I will save a preset that is not working and send it.

Thanks for the help Chris. You have helped me in the past and I appreciate it.

Correct, that is because I haven't had a chance to send them. This weekend I will try some stuff and if unsuccessful will upload Monday.

Frankly I don't know how "my settings" are relevant. The only thing that changed was the firmware. Oh, and my FC also doesn't work now.

Hi All,

It's not unheard of for a firmware update to make an undesirable change to your system settings. That's why the instructions say to do a backup before installing the firmware. That way you can restore your system settings afterward. Perhaps a setting like Mr Fender mentioned above has been changed, causing your analog out to be muted while your usb output continues to send audio. It's unlikely anything in your presets needs to be changed.

Correct, that is because I haven't had a chance to send them. This weekend I will try some stuff and if unsuccessful will upload Monday.

Frankly I don't know how "my settings" are relevant. The only thing that changed was the firmware. Oh, and my FC also doesn't work now.
Just trying to help. When someone makes a suggestion to help I would think you might want to try that before reverting back? But to each his own. Hope you figure it out.

It's not unheard of for a firmware update to make an undesirable change to your system settings
If this actually happens, it is extremely rare. I've never actually seen it on any system I have worked on across thousands of updates in many many years. Similarly, our production team executes RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS prior to installing a firmware update, so that's tens and tens of thousands of units where nothing like that happens.

The heart of this thread is that the question was impossible, since there is no such thing as "presets...programmed [with] the output set to USB only." I'm sure it's something very simple.

If this actually happens, it is extremely rare. I've never actually seen it on any system I have worked on across thousands of updates in many many years. Similarly, our production team executes RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS prior to installing a firmware update, so that's tens and tens of thousands of units where nothing like that happens.

The heart of this thread is that the question was impossible, since there is no such thing as "presets...programmed [with] the output set to USB only." I'm sure it's something very simple.

It's happened to me a couple of times. Things like PC mapping tables get messed up. Like you say, it's rare, and it hasn't happened recently, but I've learned to follow the instructions and do a backup :).

I wouldn't say his problem is impossible. Perhaps his own presets use output 2 and the mode setting for output 2 has been changed to "mute". That would explain what he's seeing. But, yes, it's probably something simple.

It's not unheard of for a firmware update to make an undesirable change to your system settings. That's why the instructions say to do a backup before installing the firmware. That way you can restore your system settings afterward. Perhaps a setting like Mr Fender mentioned above has been changed, causing your analog out to be muted while your usb output continues to send audio. It's unlikely anything in your presets needs to be changed.
Thanks for the response GlennO. But as Mr Fender said, that change would have affected all, including factory presets, and that is not the case.

All my files were backed up at MANY stages over the last 4 years or so but only the last backup is relevant.

Should I reinstall the backup first then install the other firmware or the other way around?

Thanks for the response GlennO. But as Mr Fender said, that change would have affected all, including factory presets, and that is not the case.

All my files were backed up at MANY stages over the last 4 years or so but only the last backup is relevant.

Should I reinstall the backup first then install the other firmware or the other way around?

Without knowing more about the problem, it's hard to say why only your presets are effected, but it's certainly possible to imagine a circumstance where a system setting alteration would only affect your presets.

You can restore the system settings from your latest backup without making any firmware changes if you have reason to believe the problem is a system setting.

But, the first thing I would do is try to troubleshoot the problem. It might be something simple. Checking the meters page on the home screen is always the first place to look in situations like this. Then check the I/O settings.

Hi GlennO, yes, that is the first thing I did. I then tried to restore my presets with the new firmware... no good. I also noticed that after the firmware update, my FC 12 no longer worked. I didn't give that much thought because I figured with the new firmware I would also have to update the FC12.

Back
Top Bottom