New Unit on the way, new user, questions...

shag331

Hi guys,

Im a Orange Rockerverb 50 watt (6v6 version, MkI) head user with foot pedals till now...

Just ordered a Axe FX 2 and MFC from Mark Day of Tone Merchants today, I already run a Furman power conditioner M-8DX for my current setup, so I did not need one of those, my cabinet is an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with a Vintage 30, and Heritage 30, 90Watt 16ohm cab, which sounds amazing with my tube amp, but unsure what it will do with the Axe.

I have yet to order a Matrix GT1000 yet, I probably will very soon, but had questions as far as a live rig setup using the Axe FX, I want to get the most out of the unit with current gear till I can get the Matrix in my rig, and had questions regarding setup etc, I do have an FX loop on my amp, and it has a good clean channel, that's very clear, detailed and full sounding. Ive been using the amps overdrive up till now for dirt (which is really good), and pushing it with an Analogman TS9 in front for solos and heavy stuff. I mainly am getting the Axe because im tired of tone questing and amps are getting expensive every time I want to try something different, just tried a Pink Taco head, and was a little disappointed compared to my Orange actually, which really surprised Mark, Im just uber picky and probably due to the lower wattage of the PT20 from my Orange is why too. Im sure the BE-100 would have blown me away but I didn't feel like dropping 3500 on another amp, when I could have an entire axe rig almost for that cost and have MANY amps.

Would I want to run the Axe in front of the amp (I would assume not) or through the loop as I thought? Also, is a guitar cab and Matrix amp or an active set of speakers better for sound quality etc when playing live? And will the Axe sound ok with my Rockerverbs clean channel is other question. What sort of special cables will I need to get my current rig going? Instrument? XLR? Im a total newbie to this so any help would be appreciated. Im used to rolling tubes and twisting dials, not making patches and using active speakers etc and power amps lol.

Thanks in advance! I do appreciate it!

Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul R8 (2007) Cherry Sunburst
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Orange Rockerverb 50 watt head (6v6 version)
Furman power conditioner for guitar rig
Avatar 2x12 contemporary custom cab with a V30/Heritage 30 pairing.

First off - congrats on getting the Axe and MFC.

There are several ways of using the Axe and I'd purpose that you try these 2 first.
1) use the Axe Fx as virtual pedal board, preamp (set sag to 0) and efx processor. Meaning set up like this: guitar - Axe Fx - return on the Rockerverb loop, thus using only the power amp of the rocker verb and the cab from your current/old rig.
2) try the 4 cable method as described in the Axe Fx manual, so you have the opportunity of using the Rockerverbs preamb as well and compare that to using the Axe Fx as the preamp.

Try these 2 configurations first and get to know your way around the Axe Fx, then latter on you can try out an external/stand alone solid state or tube power amp or an FRFR monitor.
These are all valid approaches to using the Axe Fx and there is not one solution that is preferred by everyone - so try it out and see what you prefer.
Personally I'm using that FRFR approach with Atomic active CLR wedges, and loved what they do for me.
If you search on my username on this forum you can find a review that I did one them.

Regarding cables start out wit normal guitar cables, then later one if you find you need it, you can make or buy some "hum buster" cables (see manual or wiki). If you go the CLR or other FRFR route, I'd say get some XLR cables.

On a side note, I used to own a Rockerverb 50, 2x12 combo and liked it, but I much prefer what the Axe Fx does for both clean and dirty tones.

Hope this helps
RB

I don't play live, but read a lot on the forums and my biggest suggestion to you (since you mentioned you are picky about your tone) is don't go trying to make the axe sound like a real amp. That may be a starting point, but listen just to the Axe and like what you get out of it. Don't setup an amp and the axe, find a sound on the amp you like and then try and match it. Find a good starting place in the Axe, and tweak on the Axe until you find what you like. I've seen no end of misery from dudes that go the other route. All the guys who are happiest with the Axe are guys who pull sounds out of the Axe they like, not mimic sounds from a real amp they like in the Axe.

Once it arrives, I'd suggest just starting at 1 and working your way through the presets and write down numbers which you feel might be useful for anything specific. Go through them all and then go back and take a closer look at the ones you picked out.

Also, be sure to check into how change the IRs early because that will make a huge impact on the sound. You may change your opinion on an amp just from changing the IR. There are many on the Forum that are available for free (Clark's for instance) and there are many that are pretty inexpensive (Ownhammer & Silent Underground for example). A little more cash can get you Redwirz. Either way, there are plenty to be had for little money.

I hope you enjoy the Axe. For me, it's been the best piece of equipment I've bought - outside the guitars themselves.

I actually did the same as you. Started in 2010 with the Ultra and my rockerverb in 4 cable method. I loved it for a long time. Once I finally bought the II I went straight power amp. If I were you I would not rush to buy the gt1000 YET. Like Rocketbrother said, try plugging into the return of your rockerverb first and globally disable cab sims. Scroll through the presets and try them out. You may also want to try turning off power amp simultation globally too. Thats up to you.

Another thing regarding 4 cable method. I made a thread a long time ago about this. If you want to use amp sims along with your RV preamp you'll need an external control attached to the level of the amp sim. This way you can match the level to the RV preamp level. Any questions pm or ask here. Had the Orange until a month ago and sold it so I'm pretty familiar to this setup.

Wow, thanks for all the replies, I will take the advice for sure of not expecting it to sound just like my amp etc, I know its not a tube amp, but I am just so tired of ordering blindly or from YouTube demos and getting a "killer amp" to be disappointed when it arrives that it doesent sound as good in person etc, and having to return the gear and keep trying, it gets very expensive, and very old. I get an incredible tone from my Orange, ill probably keep it around for a while in fact, but such as the situation when I ordered the PT-20 Friedman head, it sounded amazing in the vids, but in person, and with my cab, I was pretty let down that it was so similar to the Rockerverb (same tone basically, just a bit thinner due to wattage I think), luckily Mark was super cool about the return, although it did cost me return shipping. I just don't want to keep going thru that every time I feel like obtaining a different tone for a certain thing im doing. So that's what brings me here, Im a total tone junkie, and I thought this might be a solution to that problem, at least partially lol. (I know it never ends in reality). Yes the Rockerverb has a really good sound, but like so many amps, its sort of a one trick pony for the drive tone. And X amp vs Y amp, sometimes ends up being the two sound very similar through the same cabinet, with only minor differences. This allows me to try MANY amps, and many cab combinations, and though its not 100 percent of a true tube amp, Im happy with 95 percent accuracy as long as its a good sounding tone.

I just ordered a used Boss 500L stereo expression pedal off the bay to go with the MFC101, ill only have one to start ,but I do love my wah pedals, ill need it. (as I said, it NEVER ENDS, AHHHH this is like crack!)

I think this is all great advice, and I would have definitely echoed the same response of using the effects loop return of your Orange head. When I bought my AxeII, I had blown my favorite head (JCM800), and needed a quick solution for powering my cabs. This was at the peak of Matrix power amp hype on this forum. So I bought the gt1000 from Tone Merchants a few days after the Axe was delivered (upgraded quickly to the gt1600). Its by all means a fantastic power amp, It checks a lot of boxes. It's light, its ear bleeding loud, it's reliable. But I was never wholly pleased with my tone (I was like 90% there). It has since been relegated to my backup power amp. I had a broken Mesa 2:100 power amp sitting in my garage for years. I finally got it repaired. I plugged it in, tweaked a little (maybe a lot), and its gotten me closer to what I set out to achieve. Which was an all-in-one, infinitely flexible, wizard tone box. Maybe the Matrix is the right solution for you, but maybe your tube head will give you what your ears desire to hear.

that's my reason!!

Seriously. About 9 years ago I chased the rabbit down the hole. I wanted a full midi switching rig, a rack full of pedals, two Line 6 rack effects, TC electronic's G-somethings, plus 2 Diezel heads... $11k later I was content. But a used $1800 Axe II, a $500 Mesa 2:100, and I'm a happy camper!

Seriously. About 9 years ago I chased the rabbit down the hole. I wanted a full midi switching rig, a rack full of pedals, two Line 6 rack effects, TC electronic's G-somethings, plus 2 Diezel heads... $11k later I was content. But a used $1800 Axe II, a $500 Mesa 2:100, and I'm a happy camper!
Not a happy camper at that point, So to finish this statement, you obviously have speakers.. What are you using for that? Mono? Stereo??

Not a happy camper at that point, So to finish this statement, you obviously have speakers.. What are you using for that? Mono? Stereo??

At that time I was running a mono signal split out of the VH4 (the 2nd was a spare) to a JCM800 4x12 cab, and a Diezel 4x12, both with Celestion V30's. The tone was unreal!!
This story partially ends in tears though. I only had that rig for a few years till I gave up playing professionally for awhile. Parted out the whole rig (sad face), but came out on top and bought a new car!

Now I have the AxeII/Mesa 2:100 thru 2 Mesa cabs (4x12 & 2x12). Its easy to cart, super simple setup, fun to tweak and create, and was a 1/3rd of the cost.

That Diezel rig was legendary though. If I ever find a bag of cash, I'm bringing it back.

Well, I am goin on a leap of faith and a little research...

I currently have an Avatar 2x12 and don't feel like getting rid of it to get another cab, and try another complete pa speaker setup etc....so...

I just ordered a Carvin TS 100 tube power amp off the bay, new from Carvin for 500.00. I figure I can run that bridged into my avatar 2x12 and start there. Ill keep the Rockerverb around for a backup, or perhaps sell it and then get another 2x12 for stereo operation with the Carvin.

I just read a lot on the Carvin being a nice neutral sounding tube poweramp, watched a few vids demoing the Axe on a solid state poweramp, vs a tube power amp, I liked the tube power amp sounds better (thanks again Mark for the useful vids), so ill try that out...hopefully I didn't mess up buyin the Carvin. It was less than a Matrix of course by a couple hundred bucks, and if I don't like it I can always sell it on the Bay for close to what I paid I figure....

Anyone want to buy a Rockerverb? lol, I have a feeling im moving on from the old analog days, I just am real excited, only 2 more days....aaahhhh, freaking UPS HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those TS100s are nice. Had one myself for a while. But, they've got tubes and all the related support circuitry that's so problematic, plus it was heavy, so I sold it. You're right - the resale on those is pretty good. You shouldn't suffer much if you end up changing your mind.

Congrats on the Axe if you can try a Matrix NL212 cab it replaced my Soldano scumback loaded cab and made the whole experience better .

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have the privilege of being at the mercy of the driest sarcasm to be found anywhere on the interwebz!

Please familiarise yourself with the word "soon". You'll be reading it a lot. ;)

Back
Top Bottom