New Ultra and electro harmonix polychorus

Just recieved my ultra about a week ago. and have been blown away....simply not enough hours in the day....I was just wondering does anybody have an idea how to get close to the extreme chorus effect of a polychorus(*think nirvana radio friendly shifter...perhaps a bit lighter though). The chorus in the ultra is great for Jonny Marr Smiths sounds with the fender deluxe model but i am looking for the distinct polychorus sound. I have a polychorus and use it with certain songs in my band so I can always put it in front of the axe fx but I am sure there is a way of getting in the ball park of it with the ultra. I want to replace all my pedals and just use the ultra.

One thing I like to do is put the pedal in front of the Ultra and dial up a chorus block. Then I can bypass either one and A/B to clone the sound. If it has a mix control, set both the mix on the pedal and that on the Ultra to 100% so you can hear just the effect signal. The next thing I would do is try to roughly match the depth and rate, then more precisely match the rate, then depth. You might need to mess around with the waveform. Then I'd put the mix back to wherever you like it and match on both blocks. Last, adjust the delay time advanced setting by ear -- the default is around 20ms but I know the Boss CE-2 has it more around 4-5 ms. This is the delay between the chorused signal and the dry signal.

Another option: Record a loop to keep playing while you're dialing things in (frees up your hands and your mind). Put the polychorus in the effects loop. You could also set the IA's up on your controller so that one button turns the effect loop on and turns the chorus block off at the same time. That's the simplest way I can think to copy a pedal. The loop keeps playing and one button switches you back and forth between the Axe-fx chorus and the polychorus.

D

Two tips that might help - I don't have a Polychorus but I do have the EHX Clone Theory (the original) and if the circuit is similar, then you should try the triangle LFO (the EHX's is slightly asymmetrical) and set the delay time to 4ms.

Back
Top Bottom